Freezing Cooked Cheese

Is it safe to freeze cooked cheddar cheese, like in recipes?

Rachel from Tel Aviv, Israel

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

I freeze cheese all the time, I live in a very rural area and only shop once a month. I freeze alot of things, and never had a problem with it turning to mush. I freeze both blocks and shredded, all different kinds.

Should I thaw the cheese in its original wrapping also? The cheese I want to freeze is wrapped in cling film.

Yes, you can freeze cheese cooked in a recipe with no problem. I do it often. If you need to freeze regular "raw" cheese, shred it first, then freeze. Frozen blocks of cheese turn to mush when de-frosted (I learned the hard way). Good luck!

Various cheeses on a table.
Freezing Cheese
Food and Recipes Freezing DairyFebruary 8, 2007
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Two colors of frozen ravioli.
Freezing Cooked Pasta
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 3:23:09 PM on 10.0.2.240 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.