Homemade Yarn Canister

I have always had a problem with yarn staying put when I am knitting and crocheting. I thought it was silly to purchase the already made yarn canisters with the hole in the top, so I made my own with a large potato salad container.

First, I put a hole in the top so that the yarn would easily slide through it. Then I decorated mine with yarn. I wrapped the yarn from the bottom to the top and secured it with a touch of hot glue. Then I decorated the lid with the same yarn in spirals. Now I have my very own frugal yarn canister and it only cost me a bit of yarn. Very easy and helpful!

By Maureen from Silver Spring Township, PA

Love your idea! I was thinking a coffee can, too! Do you happen to have a photo you could share with us?

Maureen says: I could get a photo up in about a day, if that helps. Maureen

I use a 2 liter bottle. I just take the black cap off of the bottom and cut the bottom out. Then put my yarn inside and pull the strand through the top hole.Then put the cap back on the bottom. Keeps the yarn clean and never tangles.

Oatmeal containers work well also, large or small ones.

A woman holding yarn.
Homemade Yarn Holder Ideas
Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 29, 2008
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
glass canister and gasket
Finding Replacement Gaskets for Glass Canister
Fire Extinguisher
Making a Fire Extinguisher Cover
Trellis Yarn Necklace
Making Trellis Yarn Jewelry
🎉
🎄