Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

How Do you Calculate Nutritional Information?

Does anyone know if there is a website that I can enter in food ingredients and it will calculate the nutritional value? I have tons of recipes without the info and I am doing Weight Watchers so I've been trying to figure this out. Thanks.

By

By Abbe (Guest Post)01/20/2009

www.thedailyplate.com has a recipe calculator.

By Emily (Guest Post)11/11/2008

try http://www.dwlz.com/

By P [2]04/14/2008

I find both sparkpeople's sparkrecipes and nutritiondata.com very useful. Both use USDA data, but allow calculations from input items. I hear good things about fitday.com but haven't used it.

By Karen Muermann [1]04/12/2008

There's an excellent website I use for that: it's sparkpeople.com. It's a free diet website and you can get all kinds of nutritional information there, including many vitamins and minerals. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

By Harlean from Arkansas [125]04/12/2008

I have used a program for several years now that I really like for this purpose. You can download a free trial from
www.recipecalc.com You can use it free for 20 days, then you must buy it to continue using it. The price is $24.00. As you type your recipe into the program, it calculates the Nutritional values in each ingredient. Then when you put in the number of servings, it calculates a per serving value. When you print out the recipe, the nutrition label looks just like the one that you find on most products in the grocery store. You can add other food items into the program. It asks you questions about your new item and then enters the new item. For example, I have added Smart Balance Mayo and Low Fat sour cream to mine, just to name a couple.
Harlean from Arkansas

By Betsy04/10/2008

http://www.nutritiondata.com/ is my favorite! It is very detailed!

By Michawn [16]04/08/2008

FITDAY.com, it's awesome!

By Jennifer04/08/2008

Two sites that I really like are sparkrecipes.com and nutritiondata.com. Sparkrecipes is a part of sparkpeople.com a diet and fitness site that I joined to help me lose weight and get in shape. I enjoy it. I find it fun to input recipes and see how to make them healthier. Both of these are free and easy to use. Hope this helps.

By Linda in Alabama (Guest Post)04/08/2008

Go to www.sparkpeople.com. It's free and has all kinds of tools you can use, including the calculator that you want.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: How Do you Calculate Nutritional Information?

I'm an Aussie, trying very hard to lose some extra kilograms (pounds). I have had success with WW and am a lifetime member but my DH, who also wants to lose weight, doesn't want to go down that track. He wants me to monitor his weight and loss at home. He and I only want to lose a few more kilograms, so it's not as if we need to be drastic.

Add to that the fact that he disliked some of the WW meals, and you have another problem. He has a few favorites in some meals that have been handed down through generations, but aren't necessarily good for us, fat or nutritionally wise. DH wants hard facts in front of him whether or not these recipes are healthy. I would like to know how to analyze each recipe and work out the nutritional information for each recipe.

When I see some recipes in magazines in Australia I see nutritional information displayed after the recipe. You know the information I'm talking about I'm sure.

For example:
Fat: 2.8g
Fiber 6.8g
Protein 15.6g
Carbohydrates 41.0g
Kilojoules 1045
Calories 250g

I went online to see if I could find a nutritional calculator and although I saw a couple they were quite expensive. Does anyone know of a free calculator that I would be able to enter recipe in ingredients and find out all the nutritional information? Also one that does not take ages to work out the info for just one recipe.

Thanks in advance.

Bev

RE: How Do you Calculate Nutritional Information?

I have a few ideas: 1. Weight Watchers has an online version of their program both free and for a fee which might be helpful to your husband. The fee-based program gives you more bells and whistles on the site. There are community groups on the site specifically for guys which is free. (Register, then click on Community tab, message boards, and then "Guys on a Diet") The fee-program gives you a nutrition calculator too. 2. Nutritional calculator: This is obviously a very US-based website so you might not care for it but it does have a nutrition calculator: www.mypyramid.gov. It covers the USDA food recommendations for "Americans". 3. www.allrecipes.com is a site with jillions of recipes on it. It might have a nutrition database. 4. Recipe Manager: Your Cooking Companion (http://tinyurl.com/7nbmy) is a freeware downloadable program for recipes. The description says that it contains a database of nutrients too. I've never tried it myself but it does have good reviews. I'm also confident that there aren't any nasties (spyware, adware) that come with the download. It came well recommended by folks I know who are very discerning about freeware downloads. Hope this helps. Good luck. (04/25/2005)

By coolchinchilla

I lost weight last year using the information from calorieking.com. This is a website where you can access the nutritional info for basic ingredients as well as fast foods. They also have a book that is very and relatively inexpensive. I used the program for my PDA and decided to buy it after the two week free trial. (04/25/2005)

By Cheryl

I've tried a recipe program called BigOven. It's at http://www.bigoven.com/. You can download a free 30 day trial to see if you like it. The cost is 29.95 or 34.95 depending on their 'sale'. I plan to buy it when I can come up with the money. It is very easy to use. It allows you to import in recipes easily and has nutritional database that you can link to the recipes. (04/25/2005)

By Christy