Calculating Nutritional Information at Home

Category Food Info
nutrition label
Making sure your family gets all the nutrients that they need is important. This guide is about calculating nutritional information at home.

I would like to share an awesome web-site with all of you looking for nutrition values for recipes shared on here and are also calorie counting. This site has a lot of 'food' listings but because different brands are sold in parts of the country they also have a place you can type in the brand of food you wish more information on.

When I first started using this 'Calculator' I had my favorite recipes close by so I could transfer data to my recipe. Now I know how many calories and the nutrition value of each :)

Here is an example page:

Food Calories and Nutrition Calculator

List: Balance Bar

Food: Chocolate Caramel Crisp 100 Calorie Balance Bar

Serving Listed: 1 bar, 1.0 oz=28 g.

Link: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_food.html

Does anyone know if there is a website that I can enter in food ingredients and it will calculate the nutritional value? I have tons of recipes without the info and I am doing Weight Watchers so I've been trying to figure this out. Thanks.

Answers

Go to www.sparkpeople.com. It's free and has all kinds of tools you can use, including the calculator that you want.

Two sites that I really like are sparkrecipes.com and nutritiondata.com. Sparkrecipes is a part of sparkpeople.com a diet and fitness site that I joined to help me lose weight and get in shape. I enjoy it. I find it fun to input recipes and see how to make them healthier. Both of these are free and easy to use. Hope this helps.

FITDAY.com, it's awesome!

http://www.nutritiondata.com/ is my favorite! It is very detailed!

I have used a program for several years now that I really like for this purpose. You can download a free trial from

www.recipecalc.com You can use it free for 20 days, then you must buy it to continue using it. The price is $24.00. As you type your recipe into the program, it calculates the Nutritional values in each ingredient. Then when you put in the number of servings, it calculates a per serving value. When you print out the recipe, the nutrition label looks just like the one that you find on most products in the grocery store. You can add other food items into the program. It asks you questions about your new item and then enters the new item. For example, I have added Smart Balance Mayo and Low Fat sour cream to mine, just to name a couple.

Harlean from Arkansas

There's an excellent website I use for that: it's sparkpeople.com. It's a free diet website and you can get all kinds of nutritional information there, including many vitamins and minerals. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

I find both sparkpeople's sparkrecipes and nutritiondata.com very useful. Both use USDA data, but allow calculations from input items. I hear good things about fitday.com but haven't used it.

try http://www.dwlz.com/

www.thedailyplate.com has a recipe calculator.

I'm looking for a reliable website with nutrition info (ie: how to read nutrition labels, etc.) Can anyone offer me suggestions on site(s) they have liked/had good results with?

By Kimmi from Coastal, NC

Sparkpeople.com has lots of nutritional info and weight related info.

You can get information from the USDA and sites for Child Nutrition Programs. Some of these sites will also list phone numbers.

www.fns.usda.gov/cnd

www.nutrition.gov

www.cnpp.usda.gov

www.fns.usda.gov/fns

www.fns.usda.gov/tn/Resources/buildingblocks.html

Hope these sites will help.