Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

Where can I buy or order washing soda?

By Trudi from Attalla, AL

By Lynda R.10/19/2013

Try your local hardware store. I have found many carry it.

By Sheila [60]03/26/2011

I can find washing soda in the detergent aisle of the grocery store. Usually on the very top or very bottom shelf.

By Elaine [129]03/07/2011

I can buy it in my local Walmart.

By Elaine [129]03/07/2011

I can buy it in my local Walmart.

By Sue Hadley03/07/2011

I couldn't find washing soda in grocery stores around here but I found it at a swimming pool supply store...it is called sodium carbonate.

By Linda L. [33]03/07/2011

Go to the Arm and Hammer website. They make this product but not all the stores carry it. You can find out what stores near you carry it.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]03/06/2011

You should be able to buy the washing soda in a grocery store. Let your fingers do the walking and call some grocery stores in your area. Better to buy it locally then to order online since you would end up paying shipping charges.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I am starting to make most of my own cleaning products and I am really enjoying it, but lots of the recipes that I have found require something called Washing soda. I can't find anything like that in any of the stores around here. Can anyone help me?

Tracy from East Liverpool, OH

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

You could go to Amazon.com and buy it. A 55oz.box is $2.69.Or you could go to www.soapsgoneby.com and buy it or you could go to Arm and Hammer web site and ask them where you could buy it in your neighborhood. (10/09/2006)

By Dean

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I find it in the laundry soap section of our local grocery stores. I use it for cleaning and to make my own laundry soap. Arm and Hammer brand is what I use. Check your local grocery stores, I'll bet you will find it. (10/09/2006)

By Mary

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

Go to the Arm and Hammer Website, they have a product finder feature where you enter the zip code and they list stores near you that carry the product. (10/10/2006)

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I thought it was just Bicarbonate of Soda that comes in a box at a cheap price, made by Arm and Hammer? It certainly works, so it must be for washing as described on the box? Follow instructions to prevent caking, sandy residue when dry.

Editor's Note: Washing soda is sodium carbonate. Baking soda or Bicarbonate of soda is sodium bicarbonate. They are different chemical compounds. You can eat bicarbonate of soda, but not sodium carbonate. (10/10/2006)

By Lynda

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I buy mine at Krogers in Athens, OH. (10/10/2006)

By Brenda T.

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I have bought Arm and Hammer Washing soda and borax and all the other items I need for homemade laundry soap at Wal-Mart in the laundry section. (10/11/2006)

By Cindy S.

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

You can buy Sodium Carbonate (aka Washing soda, aka Laundry Soda) in any pool store. Look for PH increaser and several brands are 100% sodium carbonate also called soda ash. (10/24/2006)

By Deana M.

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I'm from Toledo, Ohio and all of the Meijer stores in our area carry Arm and Hammer. Washing soda is different from regular baking soda. Just an fyi. (01/08/2007)

By Angie L.

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I found Arm and Hammer Washing soda in the laundry section of the store "Pick-'n-Save" in Wisconsin for less than $2. (08/27/2007)

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

** EUREKA!!** I found it. You can call Arm and Hammer, 1-800-524-1328 (it is a recording ) they will ask for your zip code, when you give it to them, they will give you a list of stores in your area that has sold it in the last 90 days. Happy Shopping.(01/02/2008)

By LittleLamb

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

Washing soda is Sodium Carbonate. It is available at pool supply stores or Lowe's and Home Depot pool section as a Ph adjuster.

It is also the principal ingredient in Powdered Dishwasher Detergents (plus some perfumes). Interestingly there are very few MSDS available for dishwasher detergents. However, some box labels will state they contain sodium carbonate.

In addition, it is now offered in hardware stores and paint departments as a substitute for TSP (trisodium phosphate). Check the label for ingredients. Of course the best way to buy it is as Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, but I have trouble finding a store selling it anymore. (05/02/2008)

By GeeBee509

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I have found it in Kroger here in RTP, NC. I did not find it at Target, though. (07/06/2008)

By Amy

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I called the 1800 # provided below and was able to order 4 boxes of the Washing Soda with no shipping fees. Therefore the total was around $15. I now have extra to give to friends that I give my homemade laundry soap recipe. They can never find the Washing soda. The nearest place that sells it is 100 miles away. (10/17/2008)

By thrifty guest

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I called 1-800-524-1328 and the CSR was really great. She waived all shipping charges and only charged $3.99 per box. I'm paying $15.96 for 4 boxes of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda. You can bet I'm a happy camper. I could not find it anywhere in NE MS, NW AL or mid south TN. (11/21/2008)

By Janet

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I just called and the very nice CSR told me I could find it at Albertson's Stores in my area. I live in So. California. Now I'm off to go get it. (12/05/2008)

By Valerie

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

You can make your own Washing soda very cheaply by pouring regular Baking soda into a baking dish and cooking it for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees. My sister found this out on wikipedia, because she couldn't find washing soda anywhere either. We tried it and it works fine when making your own laundry soap. (01/14/2009)

By Katie

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

Cleveland Ohio, I just went Dave's Supermarket on Ridge Rd. (by Denison) and found the 55oz. box for $2.99. Actually, I was going there to ask them to start carrying it. Wonderful surprise.(01/24/2009)

By Darlene

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

eBay (02/18/2009)

By Susan

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I buy a 55 ounce box of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda at Wegman's for $2.19 or you can call a local nursery and ask if they carry Soda ash. Southern States here in Virginia carries a 50 lb bag for $26.99. Soda ash is the same as Washing soda. (02/27/2009)

By Linda in Virginia

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

You can get Soda ash in bulk (the same chemical as Washing soda) at a ceramics/pottery supplier. It is used in some types of glazes. (03/02/2009)

By yodog

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I live in Southern California (Riverside County) and could not find Arm and Hammer Washing soda and I had to buy the much more expensive pool supply sodium carbonate. I always check whenever I go to a new store and was very happy and surprised to find it at WinCo in Perris, CA. I am hoping this will help others find it easier in this area. $2.70 is much better than $8.79 I have been paying. (06/05/2009)

By Mom of 4 in So Cal

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

Just bought some at Shop N' Save grocery store in the St. Louis area. A 55 ounce box for $2.59. (06/10/2009)

By sixdays

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

If you are looking for it in the Bloomington, IN area the only place I have found it is the new big Kroger next to Plato's Closet and the like off College Mall road. A few of the others do not have it. (06/21/2009)

By stephsutton

Archive: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

I am looking for a place where I can purchase Washing soda?