Removing Pet Hair From Car Upholstery

Category Auto
A dog riding in a car.
Pets can leave a veritable carpet of hair on your car upholstery. This is a guide about removing pet hair from car upholstery.

The back interior of my car is covered in dog hair from us taking our dog from place to place. We have tried laying an old blanket down and that helps some but most the hair is just embedded in the upholstery. Any tips on how to lift it? We have tried vacuuming and that magic magnetized wand that supposedly lifts pet hair (didn't work).

TexasTeacher

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I saw a program on public television. The guy said to use a household kitchen rubber glove. Just put on the glove and lightly brush over the uphostery. The hair is supposed brush right off. Good luck!!

Best Answer

I just get some duct tape and fold over inside out making a loop and put your hand inside and it will work great!

Best Answer

Try using a sponge, either slightly damp or dry, to remove dog hair.

sewingmamma

Best Answer

Hairspray. Spray a fine mist on a damp towel (better than a smooth cloth) and wipe the seat, sofa, or whatever. Works for dust too. Mimics those new, expensive products that claim to "attract and hold" dust.

Best Answer

I tried all the recommendations here and I was working for hours. I finally settled on something that wasn't recommended that worked the best - a wire brush. Not only did it brush the hair out, but it got out a lot of unseen dirt and debris. I could actually smell the nastiness that it brought up out of the upholstery.

Try it yourself. Use a rubber glove first, and when you think you're done, use the wire brush on areas you thought were clean and you'll be in for a big surprise.

Best Answer

There is a new product circulating in the auto detailing industry called Fur-Zoff. I got one from their website, furzoff.net, and love it! it gets the hair that is tangled into the carpet and all. Much better that sticky tape and I like it better than rubber products plus it does not wear out. It gathers the hair into a yarn-like piece and I just pull it off and keep going. It works in the home too. My wife uses one to get the cat hair off our bedspread every night.

I have 2 suggestions...one of which, I admit, I have not tried and that is to use rubber gloves to "rub" over the area and it's supposed to help remove animal hair. The other one I have tried and that's to use tape....I think I'd use the widest tape for such a large area, like packing tape. I'm sure others on this site can help....I LOVE this site!!!

You could try making a half and half solution of fabric softener and water and misting the area with it. After the solution dries, then try vaccumming again. You may need to break the static cling.

cj in dallas

Sounds stupid but works every time... Take a Velcro (trademark) curler meant for curling hair and run it over ANY surface. Hair is collected on the curler faster than you can imagine. If you use a curler with a metal inner form, you can bend one at an angle to do corners, etc. I've used them for years and have carried a supply to give to friends, etc. Probably have given out 25. Makes me popular with the "pet set" Ha Ha Barb from Concord, OH

I have the same problem. I usually take a bunch up damp rags and run them over the seats at different directions. I usually have to this to the edges of my couch once a week since the dog likes to use it as a back scratcher.

I've used the tape trick but after one swipe - it was useless. I felt wasteful - so now I keep a box of reuseable rags.

The rubber bristles on this broom create electro static energy to easily lift hair fromcarpets and upholstery

http://www.furn  o.uk/Sweeper.htm

Try putting on a pair of rubber gloves and wipe the seats with your gloved hands. Then vacuum up the gathered piles of hair. I have two cats and use this method on chairs in the house when the vacuum wont pick it up .

UNDENIABLY- RUBBER GLOVES!!! My husband and I own a small dealership. We just got the cutest Chevy Tracker... a total summer car. Apparently the previous owner was an extreme dog lover. I have never seen so much hair before, on a dog but thats about it. Anyhow I used the medical rubber gloves in a wax on- wax off motion... had an industrial vacumm in hand- and managed to lift the hair with the gloves and suck it up with a vacumm. GUARANTEED TO WORK!!!

Hi--I agree wit the rubber glove method except I use the Garden Gloves with the rubber palm. They seem to be much tougher and last longer then the kitchen type. Also I use a damp (not wet) sponge mop on my carpet with works the same way and rolls the hair the the vacuum misses up in a tube--just pick up and discard.

Check this site out if you haven't heard of it. I just did, because I'm local. This is going to be my method, and it's cheap!!

http://www.stic  ets.com/faq.html

OMG! The rubber glove method really works! When I first read about it, I was sure it was a load of dog crap, but I tried it and it absolutely DOES WORK! A previous roommate had a very large Great Dane - Dane's have very stiff, short hair. He would stand up in my car and stick his head out the roof, rubbing his back on the ceiling. My entire headliner is permeated with hair.

I tried a few other things including damp towels and duct tape. The tape was slightly effective, but there was SO MUCH hair that is was taking forever. Then I tried the rubber glove trick and it's just falling out effortlessly. WOW. thanks to whoever discovered this and thanks to those of you who posted.

Use rows of duct tape and pull off, and the hair comes right up. When you are done, put duct tape strips on the floor and so the next time your dog is back there, it will be sitting on the tape instead of the car upholstery.

I have tried "rubber gloves, sticky tape, rubber dog grooming brushes" and found them all to work up to a point.The main draw back is the time it takes to finish the task and dispose of the rubbish. I found on the net an attachment that fits a vacuum cleaner suction pipe and works extremely well in picking up stubborn hairs. It's called "seathog".

I have used this vacuum cleaner attachment, it fits onto the suction pipe and is easy to apply and use, it's called a "Seathog". The attachment catches and pulls out those difficult hairs as well as lose hairs being sucked up by the vacuum cleaner.Hope this helps.Good luck!

Try http://www.stirtsystems.com

I have tried cheap yellow rubber washing gloves and have found that they work really well especially when the fur hides between the back of the seat and the seat itself. Just wear the gloves and scoop up the hair with your fingers and it comes right away.

How do I remove cat hair from the floor mats in my van?

I would use the vacuum at a car wash. If it doesn't get it all, use a lint roller.

Flylady.net has a set of purple brushes called Rubba Sweepers. They are great for picking up hair, whether it's human or animal hair. They are great quality and do the job well.