Dog Has Teary Eyes

I'm a new dog owner. My 10 month old Papillion is tearing like crazy and is starting to bald around the eyes. Is this a serious problem, or will it eventually go away?

By Tati

To me it sounds like your dog needs to see a vet. It sounds like an upper respiratory infection. It will need to be treated by a vet.

My dog had gooey stuff in her eyes,,the vet told us she had allergies and to give her Benedril (sorry for spelling). Please check with your vet,,it could be something different. Pam

Please take your baby to his Dr.. There are many reasons for teary eye. Your Vet might also refer you to an eye Dr. for animals. Good luck

Some breeds have the annoying "tear eyes". I have a chichuaua/maltese mix. The maltese is one of the breeds that have "tear eyes".... oh lucky me! There are products out there that help with the staining and the hardening (I'm assuming this is what you are talking about vs some type of conjunctivitis), but I have yet to find one that works.

I just stay consistant in washing his eyes regularly. If it does get out of control, I actually have to "cut" it out. I recently ran across an article that said if you only give them "bottled drinking water", it solves the problem. Started this about 2 mos ago and I have seen a difference.

Have the Vet check him/her for Entropion

It's and eye irritation caused by the eyelids and lashes rolling inward. The problem is usually inherited and found in young, adult dogs like the Papillon. It can come from an eyelid spasm. Affected eyes will be held partially shut and tear excessively, and they can bald from the dog rubbing at them. Both eyes will usually be affected the same. Treatment for the condition requires eye surgery.

November 1, 2011 Flag

My dog's eye is constantly wet lately. It's not yucky or matted, but is always wet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

By C Mowrey

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The best suggestion is called Veterinarian.

Pets Dogs HealthFebruary 12, 2010
Frozen Onion
Using Frozen Onions
Storing Googly Eyes
Storing Googly Eyes
Woman with puffy eyes using eye drops.
Remedies for Puffy Eyes
child rubbing eyes
Remedies for Itchy Eyes