Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas

The presence of garlic can repel fleas if used safely. This guide is about using garlic to repel fleas.

June 28, 2011 Flag

I've responded to questions and tips several times regarding giving garlic to pets for flea control or assorted other reasons, but maybe it will be more helpful if posted as a tip that might reach more folk? Please consider reading up about Heinz-Body anemia before you make the decision to give garlic in any form, or anything in the alliums family for that matter, to a pet. Personally, I wouldn't risk the health of my pet when there are other safe alternatives available. Here are two really good links to begin your homework with:

By Deeli from Richland, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

OK, so I talked to my dog Luigi (aka Fido) and he is kind of pissed about the whole no garlic deal. He indicated that the only way he has been able to eat the dog food I've been feeding him is if I mix in a healthy amount of garlic and fresh basil. He also mentioned that he has several relatives in Southern Italy who would be more than happy to "help" the human who is recommending the no garlic for K-9 Americans understand the error of their thinking. Please don't let Luigi know that I gave your tip a thumbs-up.

October 7, 2013 Flag

Can I give my dog garlic power?

By Margo from wilm dem

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Garlic and onion can cause hemolytic anemia in animals. I wouldnt take the chance.

No it may be poison for your dog.

April 2, 2013 Flag

If you put garlic in dog food will it keep fleas off your dog?

By Mike H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Garlic can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs.

November 13, 2011 Flag

How much and how often do I give raw garlic to my 60-70 pound dog?

By Jan N

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Garlic is a known cause of hemolytic anemia in dogs.

I was going to sprinkle a little bit of garlic powder on my 80 pounds boxer back to rid of fleas we live out in the country and she is tormented by them I have to try something thank you for any advice you may have

March 12, 2013 Flag

At what age can I give a puppy garlic for flea protection?

By Eliot

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You should never give a dog or cat garlic or onion. It can cause hemolytic anemia, which is a very serious disorder.

December 29, 2010 Flag

I was wondering how much garlic I can use on my dogs that weigh approximately 10-17 lbs? They have fleas.

By Brenda from Ontario, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Garlic is safe for dogs. While the onion has thiosulphate, the garlic of the same family does not contain any thiosulphate.

I don't buy the advice you should ever use home remedies on yourself or pets. I eat garlic regularly, as did my mother and father. My father passed at age 108 and my mother was in good health until Alzheimer's took her at 83.

I'm 68 years and strong as a bull. You can repel fleas on cats by rubbing garlic and vinegar water into their fur a couple of times a week with no adverse effects. I had two cats which I used this remedy on and one lived to 21 years and the other to 11. It would have lived longer if it had been born with two kidneys instead of one.

Most vets and doctors are honest but they are still in business to make money. They will often have you coming back for mostly un-necessary treatments and test. Unless you or your animal have some apparently serious illness or injury, let time heal it.

August 22, 2012 Flag

I bought some garlic gel-caps, 1000mg. I was wondering how much to give a 7lb dog?

By Brandice

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Absolutely none! Look up "is it safe to give dogs garlic" on the web to verify! Small amounts may not harm your dog at first but it builds up in the system. It causes a disease called 'Heinz Body Anemia' (look that up too) that Lizzyanny mentioned.

They are in the allium plant family which also includes any type of onion (including chives) and all types of lily's.

I can't believe companies still sell this stuff for pets and that even some veterinarians still recommend it (they seriously need to brush up on their training or quit their practice)!

Lizzyanny is also correct that the same thing happens to cats.

Not 1000 mg for a 7 lb dog. That's like a "baby" in size. Find garlic/brewer's yeast tablets at Puritan's Pride (for pets, cats & dogs).

June 24, 2013 Flag

Is brewers yeast with garlic tablets good for them?

By Kato from Mobile, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please NEVER use garlic or anything that contains garlic for any of your dogs or cats! I can be highly toxic & cause illness or even death. Please check ASPCA's website for a listing of "human foods" that pets should not have. http://www.aspc  eople-foods.aspx

Garlic can contribute to hemolytic anemia in dogs and cats.

November 11, 2010 Flag

Is it true that you can use garlic as a flea treatment for dogs? I was told that you give the dog a little bit of garlic every day and it gets into the bloodstream which helps keep the fleas away.

By Kac from Bennington, VT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No garlic; no onions. Sorry, but you can buy reasonably priced flea treatment through this link.

http://cheapfrontlineplus.com/

Best check with your vet or a vet school and do more research on this one. I've also read that it is dangerous (anonymous source) but, my sister has been adding garlic powder to her dogs' food with great results in eliminating fleas. And they live in a very warm, humid climate where fleas thrive. All three of her dogs (three different breeds) are healthy and without fleas.

Sometimes, home remedies are shunned by those with a vested interest in promoting other products. NOT SAYING that this is the case in this situation, just that it's important to research these things carefully and thoroughly. Just because someone wrote something on the web doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Verify the authority of the source before making your decision to try or not.

March 22, 2013 Flag

If you put garlic powder on your dog/cat and they lick it off, when it's in their blood will it stop fleas and ticks from biting? Or will it harm your best friends (pets)?

By C dub from Wichita Falls

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

NEVER give dogs any form of garlic, onions, raisins... check out sites like www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.aspx for more info plus use Google & type in "foods poisionous to dogs". Check with your local pet store or vet as to decent/proper products for flea prevention!

Feeding garlic in any form can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs and cats. Don't do it.

September 26, 2012 Flag

I have a 60 lb. Husky and Dalmatian mix. I want to know how much garlic to give her and how often. Can I give her fresh garlic? Thank you.

By kt

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Absolutely none! Anything in the allium family (such as garlic, onions and lily's) can be poisonous to dogs and cats and at the very least there is a high potential of the animal developing Heinz Body Anemia which destroys the red blood cells.

Garlic Boosting the immune system is crucial to helping your pet defend itself naturally. Adding garlic to a dog's diet is one way  either fresh cloves (for a very small dog, ¼ clove per day; for a large dog, 1 to 2 small cloves a day). I add garlic powder or fresh garlic to their meat/veggie mix when I'm making it.

Some say that garlic powder is useless for this purpose because it has been overprocessed, but I use it more than fresh garlic and it seems to work just as well. Opt for fresh if you can. You can purchase a jar of minced garlic at the store, packed in water or olive oil, or you can make your own. Just mince the cloves, then pour enough olive oil in a glass jar to cover them. Keep in the pantry, not exposed to light.

The olive oil is good for the animal too (contains certain essential fatty acids). There are also preformulated garlic products -- www.springtimeinc.com makes a garlic product for dogs that Ive heard great things about.

From Dr. Pitcairns Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats: Garlic helps to eliminate worms, strengthen digestion and beneficially stimulate the digestive tract. Use it to promote intestinal health. It is also indicated for animals that have been on a high meat or fish diet, and those that tend to be overweight or suffer hip pain from arthritis or dysplasia.

Include fresh grated garlic with each meal, use ½ to 3 cloves, depending on the animals size. [p. 87] For your dog, you can purchase minced garlic in olive oil at the grocery store, to save having to mince it yourself. The olive oil is also good for the animal, as it contains certain essential fatty acids. Note that cats should not be fed raw garlic as it can cause a dangerous form of anemia. For more information on adding Kyolic Liquid Aged Garlic Extract (not toxic to cats) to your pet's diet, see http://www.whol  icles/fleas.htm.

For garlic, add 1/2 minced clove per day to a small dog's meals, for a large dog 1-2 whole minced cloves. Garlic has antibacterial properties as well and is a good immune system enhancer. Digestive enzymes, specifically papaya and pineapple (bromelain) also help fight parasites by irritating and/or dissolving their outer coating, along with aiding digestion. However, if you have a chronic, long standing, and/or severe infestation, it may be best to use a conventional wormer to eradicate the parasites (for many, the damage they cause is worse than the practice of using a chemical to kill them). Then put the animal on one of these natural wormers/preventatives as maintenance.

Apple Cider Vinegar In their book, The Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog, Wendy Volhard and Kerry Brown, DVM, note that Apples contain a large amount of potassium plus phosphorus, chlorine, sodium, magnesium, calcium, sulfur, iron, fluorine, silicon, and many trace minerals. . . . ACV (apple cider vinegar) is credited with killing bacteria outright. . . . Depending on the size of the dog, add 1/4 teaspoon (toy dogs) to 3 tablespoons (dogs over 50 lbs) total per day to their meals.

Itchy skin is a sign that the skin is too alkaline in nature. Fleas and ticks do not find acidic skin desirable to live on, hence the importance of maintaining a slightly acidic body (for dogs, the normal skin pH range is 6.2-6.5). You can use straight ACV as an after-bath rinse; before going out into the country; and on beginning hot spots. If the skin is already broken, dilute the ACV 1:1 with water so it doesnt sting and spray it onto the skin (test on a small area first, just to be sure it doesnt sting). If the dog has a thick coat, work it into the coat so it reaches the skin.

As an ear rinse, use several drops of the 1:1 dilution weekly to help alleviate chronic ear infections.

These health conditions and others (including sore joints and the beginnings of arthritis), often indicate a potassium deficiency, so ACV is a cheap way to help improve your animals health. If giving ACV orally, purchase a product with the mother (apple fiber particles) in it, not the kind you buy at the grocery store. A good brand is Braggs, which can be found at health food stores. If applying topically, the grocery store products are fine.

July 29, 2011 Flag

If I boil up some garlic cloves in water and spray the residue on my dog, do you think it would get rid of fleas?

By Tracey B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It might! My mom used to buy garlic powder (I think from the vitamin section). She'd sprinkle about a tablespoon full over their food and mix it in. They never seemed to notice, and it was supposed to help repel fleas (also easier & less stinky!).

There are a lot of remedies on earthclinic.com. I have found lemon juice sprayed on the ferrets and rubbed in keeps a lot of fleas off of them. I put about a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar per four cups of water for the dogs in the really bad part of flea season. Also we do advantage and one of the dogs does comfortis. Fleas are really bad t his year. Salt put under sheets and on carpet for a few days and then vacuumed up off the carpet kills flea eggs. and vacuum all the time to get the fleas and kill them.

That is a really good idea. Here is the link to the natural remedies for fleas, and dont forget the flea comb~

http://www.eart  /Pets/fleas.html

Blessings,

Robyn

June 21, 2011 Flag

I bought a bottle of garlic in gel cap form (500 mg) for fleas on my dog, but I am hesitant about giving my 12 lb. Dachshund her first dose. Anyone else using the garlic gel-caps for fleas and how many mgs. do you use?

By Luann from NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can see for yourself by doing a Google search on people foods for dogs about what is alright and what isn't to give a dog, sorry, but onions and garlic are harmful and can cause health issues. Please avoid using garlic for flea treatment.

Garlic And Pets

Please consider reading up about Heinz-body anemia before deciding to give garlic in any form, or anything in the allium family for that matter, to any pet.

http://www.exot  vian/onions.html

http://www.k9ma  e/iss31p13.shtml

July 10, 2009 Flag

Can I use garlic for flea control on my cats?

By tsadybug from Fairfield, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

According to this website, new research shows that raw garlic can cause a dangerous form of anemia and even lead to death in cats.

http://www.care  s-for-cats.html#

No, never give garlic to a cat or dog. Please consult your Vet for a safe flea control. Read what the ASPCA Poison Control Center says about garlic: http://www.aspc  eople-foods.html

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

May 17, 2011 Flag

I buy garlic pills (the gel-caps) and poke a hole in one gel-cap with a needle and squeeze the oil into my dogs food about 5 days a week.

Not only is it good for their coat and health, but it does wonder to deter fleas and ticks. Living in the woods, we have a lot of wild animals running through our yard at night, and I have not seen a flea or a tick on my dog.

By David from Ellsworth, ME

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

How much garlic can I give my dog can you list the different doses and wt

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

December 29, 2010 Flag

How much garlic powder do I give my 50 lb. dog to prevent fleas?

By Eddie from Dallas, TX

Answers:

How Much Garlic Should I Use to Prevent Fleas?

I have heard that garlic and onions are on the list of toxic substances for dogs. Please check this out first. (07/20/2010)

By merlene

Absolutely none! Anything from the Allium family of plants can be toxic to dogs! It affects their red blood cells and can cause anemia, among other health problems over time. It is not worth the risk even in small amounts. (07/21/2010)

By Deeli

People, people, people! I have fed my dog garlic powder sprinkled over his food and he is healthy, spry and his coat is beautiful, and not one flea! So, listen to your vet tell you it's bad for them (but they get kick-backs for selling flea protection as well as a huge profit) or listen to those that have used it for years and saved big $$$ over paying out.

**Above all, chemicals are never better!** (09/15/2010)

By friv2004

As a veterinarian of 31 years, I typically send people over to a store named, Southern States. I believe they have a website too. They carry a product by Excel called Brewer Yeast with Garlic. It is in a tablet form. This is the best way to provide the garlic to your dog. The bottle contains 1000 chew tabs for around $10.00 (09/29/2010)

By William

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets FleasAugust 22, 2012
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
dawn for fleas
Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 10:19:59 PM on 10.0.2.158 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.