Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas

The presence of garlic can repel fleas if used safely. This guide is about using garlic to repel fleas.

Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I've responded to questions and tips several times regarding giving garlic to pets for flea control or assorted other reasons, but maybe it will be more helpful if posted as a tip that might reach more folk? Please consider reading up about Heinz-Body anemia before you make the decision to give garlic in any form, or anything in the alliums family for that matter, to a pet. Personally, I wouldn't risk the health of my pet when there are other safe alternatives available. Here are two really good links to begin your homework with:

By Deeli from Richland, WA

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I buy garlic pills (the gel-caps) and poke a hole in one gel-cap with a needle and squeeze the oil into my dogs food about 5 days a week.

Not only is it good for their coat and health, but it does wonder to deter fleas and ticks. Living in the woods, we have a lot of wild animals running through our yard at night, and I have not seen a flea or a tick on my dog.

By David from Ellsworth, ME

With two cats who come in and out, I worried about flea treatments.

Can I give my dog garlic power?

By Margo from wilm dem

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No it may be poison for your dog.

Read More Answers...

I was wondering how much garlic I can use on my dogs that weigh approximately 10-17 lbs? They have fleas.

By Brenda from Ontario, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, garlic is safe for dogs, in small amounts over a short period of time. Garlic is widely used as a natural flea and tick repellent and occasionally may even be used as a treatment for heart disease in dogs.

Dogs lack the enzyme needed to break down the chemical thiosulphate in garlic, which can cause gas, vomiting, diarrhea or severe gastrointestinal distress. Large amounts of garlic or garlic given over a prolonged period can result in the formation of Heinz bodies on the surface of red blood cells which are then destroyed by the body.

This results in a severe hemolytic anemia (Yamato, 2005); and there is also an increased risk for the development of blood clotting abnormalities. Always consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog any natural or herbal supplements.

Read More Answers...

How much and how often do I give raw garlic to my 60-70 pound dog?

By Jan N

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Garlic is a known cause of hemolytic anemia in dogs.

Read More Answers...

I bought some garlic gel-caps, 1000mg. I was wondering how much to give a 7lb dog?

By Brandice

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a 5 pound Chihuahua and gave her real garlic raw as well as to my other dogs at the time. She liked raw green peppers too. Anyway, take a thing of garlic, pull off a clove and cut it up and give them about a 5th of the clove at a time. It works as dewormer too, which is why I did it in the first place. She's going on 7 years this year and has never had any major health problems.

Read More Answers...

If you put garlic in dog food will it keep fleas off your dog?

By Mike H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Garlic can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs.

At what age can I give a puppy garlic for flea protection?

By Eliot

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You should never give a dog or cat garlic or onion. It can cause hemolytic anemia, which is a very serious disorder.

Is brewers yeast with garlic tablets good for them?

By Kato from Mobile, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Garlic can contribute to hemolytic anemia in dogs and cats.

Read More Answers...

Is it true that you can use garlic as a flea treatment for dogs? I was told that you give the dog a little bit of garlic every day and it gets into the bloodstream which helps keep the fleas away.

By Kac from Bennington, VT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've had pets (mostly dogs) my entire life & had flea problems ONE time. For the past 30 years or longer, I've cooked my pets meals & always use fresh garlic 3-4 times a week. And I have NEVER had any trouble with fleas. As far as it being dangerous for dogs, I suppose it could be, but just use common sense, as you would for any other items you feed your pets.

Currently I have 4 "fur children" ages 14, 10, 3 & my new one is 10 months. They are all healthy, happy & free of fleas. I love them very much & would never give them anything that would possibly jeopardize their health. Hope this helps with your garlic decision. Wishing you & your pets all the best.

Read More Answers...

If you put garlic powder on your dog/cat and they lick it off, when it's in their blood will it stop fleas and ticks from biting? Or will it harm your best friends (pets)?

By C dub from Wichita Falls

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Feeding garlic in any form can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs and cats. Don't do it.

Read More Answers...

I have a 60 lb. Husky and Dalmatian mix. I want to know how much garlic to give her and how often. Can I give her fresh garlic? Thank you.

By kt

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Garlic Boosting the immune system is crucial to helping your pet defend itself naturally. Adding garlic to a dog's diet is one way  either fresh cloves (for a very small dog, ¼ clove per day; for a large dog, 1 to 2 small cloves a day). I add garlic powder or fresh garlic to their meat/veggie mix when I'm making it.

Some say that garlic powder is useless for this purpose because it has been overprocessed, but I use it more than fresh garlic and it seems to work just as well. Opt for fresh if you can. You can purchase a jar of minced garlic at the store, packed in water or olive oil, or you can make your own. Just mince the cloves, then pour enough olive oil in a glass jar to cover them. Keep in the pantry, not exposed to light.

The olive oil is good for the animal too (contains certain essential fatty acids). There are also preformulated garlic products -- www.springtimeinc.com makes a garlic product for dogs that Ive heard great things about.

From Dr. Pitcairns Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats: Garlic helps to eliminate worms, strengthen digestion and beneficially stimulate the digestive tract. Use it to promote intestinal health. It is also indicated for animals that have been on a high meat or fish diet, and those that tend to be overweight or suffer hip pain from arthritis or dysplasia.

Include fresh grated garlic with each meal, use ½ to 3 cloves, depending on the animals size. [p. 87] For your dog, you can purchase minced garlic in olive oil at the grocery store, to save having to mince it yourself. The olive oil is also good for the animal, as it contains certain essential fatty acids. Note that cats should not be fed raw garlic as it can cause a dangerous form of anemia. For more information on adding Kyolic Liquid Aged Garlic Extract (not toxic to cats) to your pet's diet, see http://www.wholecat.com/articles/fleas.htm.

For garlic, add 1/2 minced clove per day to a small dog's meals, for a large dog 1-2 whole minced cloves. Garlic has antibacterial properties as well and is a good immune system enhancer. Digestive enzymes, specifically papaya and pineapple (bromelain) also help fight parasites by irritating and/or dissolving their outer coating, along with aiding digestion. However, if you have a chronic, long standing, and/or severe infestation, it may be best to use a conventional wormer to eradicate the parasites (for many, the damage they cause is worse than the practice of using a chemical to kill them). Then put the animal on one of these natural wormers/preventatives as maintenance.

Apple Cider Vinegar In their book, The Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog, Wendy Volhard and Kerry Brown, DVM, note that Apples contain a large amount of potassium plus phosphorus, chlorine, sodium, magnesium, calcium, sulfur, iron, fluorine, silicon, and many trace minerals. . . . ACV (apple cider vinegar) is credited with killing bacteria outright. . . . Depending on the size of the dog, add 1/4 teaspoon (toy dogs) to 3 tablespoons (dogs over 50 lbs) total per day to their meals.

Itchy skin is a sign that the skin is too alkaline in nature. Fleas and ticks do not find acidic skin desirable to live on, hence the importance of maintaining a slightly acidic body (for dogs, the normal skin pH range is 6.2-6.5). You can use straight ACV as an after-bath rinse; before going out into the country; and on beginning hot spots. If the skin is already broken, dilute the ACV 1:1 with water so it doesnt sting and spray it onto the skin (test on a small area first, just to be sure it doesnt sting). If the dog has a thick coat, work it into the coat so it reaches the skin.

As an ear rinse, use several drops of the 1:1 dilution weekly to help alleviate chronic ear infections.

These health conditions and others (including sore joints and the beginnings of arthritis), often indicate a potassium deficiency, so ACV is a cheap way to help improve your animals health. If giving ACV orally, purchase a product with the mother (apple fiber particles) in it, not the kind you buy at the grocery store. A good brand is Braggs, which can be found at health food stores. If applying topically, the grocery store products are fine.

Read More Answers...

If I boil up some garlic cloves in water and spray the residue on my dog, do you think it would get rid of fleas?

By Tracey B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are a lot of remedies on earthclinic.com. I have found lemon juice sprayed on the ferrets and rubbed in keeps a lot of fleas off of them. I put about a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar per four cups of water for the dogs in the really bad part of flea season. Also we do advantage and one of the dogs does comfortis. Fleas are really bad t his year. Salt put under sheets and on carpet for a few days and then vacuumed up off the carpet kills flea eggs. and vacuum all the time to get the fleas and kill them.

That is a really good idea. Here is the link to the natural remedies for fleas, and dont forget the flea comb~

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/fleas.html

Blessings,

Robyn

Read More Answers...

I bought a bottle of garlic in gel cap form (500 mg) for fleas on my dog, but I am hesitant about giving my 12 lb. Dachshund her first dose. Anyone else using the garlic gel-caps for fleas and how many mgs. do you use?

By Luann from NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Garlic And Pets

Please consider reading up about Heinz-body anemia before deciding to give garlic in any form, or anything in the allium family for that matter, to any pet.

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/onions.html

http://www.k9magazinefree.com/k9_perspective/iss31p13.shtml

Read More Answers...

Can I use garlic for flea control on my cats?

By tsadybug from Fairfield, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No, never give garlic to a cat or dog. Please consult your Vet for a safe flea control. Read what the ASPCA Poison Control Center says about garlic: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.html

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Read More Answers...

How much garlic powder do I give my 50 lb. dog to prevent fleas?

By Eddie from Dallas, TX

Answers:

How Much Garlic Should I Use to Prevent Fleas?

I have heard that garlic and onions are on the list of toxic substances for dogs. Please check this out first. (07/20/2010)

By merlene

Absolutely none! Anything from the Allium family of plants can be toxic to dogs! It affects their red blood cells and can cause anemia, among other health problems over time. It is not worth the risk even in small amounts. (07/21/2010)

By Deeli

People, people, people! I have fed my dog garlic powder sprinkled over his food and he is healthy, spry and his coat is beautiful, and not one flea! So, listen to your vet tell you it's bad for them (but they get kick-backs for selling flea protection as well as a huge profit) or listen to those that have used it for years and saved big $$$ over paying out.

**Above all, chemicals are never better!** (09/15/2010)

By friv2004

As a veterinarian of 31 years, I typically send people over to a store named, Southern States. I believe they have a website too. They carry a product by Excel called Brewer Yeast with Garlic. It is in a tablet form. This is the best way to provide the garlic to your dog. The bottle contains 1000 chew tabs for around $10.00 (09/29/2010)

By William

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

They say to give your dog half a clove of garlic in there food daily for fleas. Will this work for ticks also? I am having a big problem with them!

Donna from Jacksonville, FL

Answers:

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Actually I head that garlic and onions (and even raisins) can be toxic to dogs. You'd probably be better off talking to your vet before you do anything. (03/31/2006)

By halloweenfreak

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

My advise is to check with your vet and have the doctor put your dog on something like Program, Sentinel, or Frontline. Don't rely on garlic alone. (03/31/2006)

By Anonymous

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Wal Mart has some garlic and yeast tablets to give to your pets. They love them, if you have more than one pet, they fight over them. The name of them is "Brewers Yeast". They are in the pet section and cost under $5 for a bottle of 100. It also has omega oils and vitamins. It makes their coats shiny. Good luck. (04/01/2006)

By Janice from LA

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Please take your dog to the vet and get dog medicine. There are wonderful remedies that the vet can recommend for fleas and ticks that work well. (04/01/2006)

By sylviecyn

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

You can put brewers yeast on their food. Hartz also makes a great topical (once a month). Just be sure to check size. (04/01/2006)

By camo_angels

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

If you go with an OTC topical repellent (fleas/ticks and mosquitoes by the way). Tell your vet because it can be like an overdose. And read what the vet recommends before actually giving it to them. Some of these new combos can double up, making a sensitive dog VERY sick. (04/01/2006)

By camo_angels

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Yes, onions kill dogs, as well as grapes! They affect something in their blood. (maybe other foods too). Garlic is reported to actually work perhaps, but also can present some very serious health consequences to pets for the same reason. Check with a vet and be very cautious when giving supplements to your pets and to people, too! Many supplements and medicines for people can be quite harmful or fatal to our pet companions. (04/01/2006)

By kidsNclutter

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

It is better to talk to your vet first. Over the years, there has been new information about our pets' diet.

My father-in-law fed his two dogs fresh garlic every day. The dogs smelled so bad, their breath was unbearable. No one wanted these dogs near them because of their awful odor. They both died of a liver problem less than a year apart which now makes me wonder if by giving them garlic caused their health problem.

By the way, the dogs still got fleas. They had to have their home "bombed" a few times by an exterminator. (04/01/2006)

By mkymlp

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

In California we always used eucalyptus
leaves and put that on dog's bed and made
a collar from the little round things from the eucalyptus trees. It helps for fleas and we never had
fleas on our dog or 3 indoor outdoor cats who each
wore those collars. (04/02/2006)

By meoowmom

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Onions are toxic, but garlic is safe in moderate doses. It takes a huge amount of garlic in one serving to overdose. I have used garlic tablets for 4 years with no problems and have proof it works for fleas and ticks. My dog hunts and never gets ticks, but the other dogs that go do. (04/21/2006)

By Christy

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

"Please do not poison your dog with garlic". Please see this link from National Geographic. I used to give my dog garlic, thinking I was doing her a favor. She got Addison's disease and I always wonder if that's why. Please see this link.

nationalgeographic.com (08/17/2009)

By amino

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

As a veterinarian of 31 years, I typically send people over to a store named, Southern States. I believe they have a website, too. They carry a product by Excel specifically for dogs called Brewers Yeast with Garlic. It is in a tablet form. This is the best way to provide the garlic to your dog. In addition, the tablets contain Omega 3 and B-Complex. The bottle contains 1000 chew tabs for around $10.00. (09/29/2010)

By William

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets FleasAugust 22, 2012
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
dawn for fleas
Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 24, 2016 at 6:07:33 PM on 10.0.2.69 in 921 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.