Browsing: Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas

The presence of garlic can repel fleas if used safely. This guide is about using garlic to repel fleas.

Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 28, 2011 Flag

I've responded to questions and tips several times regarding giving garlic to pets for flea control or assorted other reasons, but maybe it will be more helpful if posted as a tip that might reach more folk? Please consider reading up about Heinz-Body anemia before you make the decision to give garlic in any form, or anything in the alliums family for that matter, to a pet. Personally, I wouldn't risk the health of my pet when there are other safe alternatives available. Here are two really good links to begin your homework with:

By Deeli from Richland, WA

May 17, 2011 Flag

I buy garlic pills (the gel-caps) and poke a hole in one gel-cap with a needle and squeeze the oil into my dogs food about 5 days a week.

Not only is it good for their coat and health, but it does wonder to deter fleas and ticks. Living in the woods, we have a lot of wild animals running through our yard at night, and I have not seen a flea or a tick on my dog.

By David from Ellsworth, ME

February 5, 2013 Flag

With two cats who come in and out, I worried about flea treatments.

October 7, 2013 Flag

Can I give my dog garlic power?

By Margo from wilm dem

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No it may be poison for your dog.

to my dog to keep flies away

November 13, 2011 Flag

How much and how often do I give raw garlic to my 60-70 pound dog?

By Jan N

I was going to sprinkle a little bit of garlic powder on my 80 pounds boxer back to rid of fleas we live out in the country and she is tormented by them I have to try something thank you for any advice you may have

I'm not sure.. Been trying the same thing but found out my trainer always used

elephant garlic and butter. She's never used a flea remedy.. she's never had fleas. I'm going to call her Monday and see how muich i can give my 74 lb Golden.

I'll let you know

Julia

December 29, 2010 Flag

I was wondering how much garlic I can use on my dogs that weigh approximately 10-17 lbs? They have fleas.

By Brenda from Ontario, CA

I don't buy the advice you should ever use home remedies on yourself or pets. I eat garlic regularly, as did my mother and father. My father passed at age 108 and my mother was in good health until Alzheimer's took her at 83.

I'm 68 years and strong as a bull. You can repel fleas on cats by rubbing garlic and vinegar water into their fur a couple of times a week with no adverse effects. I had two cats which I used this remedy on and one lived to 21 years and the other to 11. It would have lived longer if it had been born with two kidneys instead of one.

Most vets and doctors are honest but they are still in business to make money. They will often have you coming back for mostly un-necessary treatments and test. Unless you or your animal have some apparently serious illness or injury, let time heal it.

Yes, garlic is safe for dogs, in small amounts over a short period of time. Garlic is widely used as a natural flea and tick repellent and occasionally may even be used as a treatment for heart disease in dogs.

Dogs lack the enzyme needed to break down the chemical thiosulphate in garlic, which can cause gas, vomiting, diarrhea or severe gastrointestinal distress. Large amounts of garlic or garlic given over a prolonged period can result in the formation of Heinz bodies on the surface of red blood cells which are then destroyed by the body.

This results in a severe hemolytic anemia (Yamato, 2005); and there is also an increased risk for the development of blood clotting abnormalities. Always consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog any natural or herbal supplements.

August 22, 2012 Flag

I bought some garlic gel-caps, 1000mg. I was wondering how much to give a 7lb dog?

By Brandice

Not 1000 mg for a 7 lb dog. That's like a "baby" in size. Find garlic/brewer's yeast tablets at Puritan's Pride (for pets, cats & dogs).

I had a 5 pound Chihuahua and gave her real garlic raw as well as to my other dogs at the time. She liked raw green peppers too. Anyway, take a thing of garlic, pull off a clove and cut it up and give them about a 5th of the clove at a time. It works as dewormer too, which is why I did it in the first place. She's going on 7 years this year and has never had any major health problems.

April 2, 2013 Flag

If you put garlic in dog food will it keep fleas off your dog?

By Mike H.

Garlic can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs.

March 12, 2013 Flag

At what age can I give a puppy garlic for flea protection?

By Eliot

You should never give a dog or cat garlic or onion. It can cause hemolytic anemia, which is a very serious disorder.

June 24, 2013 Flag

Is brewers yeast with garlic tablets good for them?

By Kato from Mobile, AL

Please NEVER use garlic or anything that contains garlic for any of your dogs or cats! I can be highly toxic & cause illness or even death. Please check ASPCA's website for a listing of "human foods" that pets should not have. http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.aspx

Garlic can contribute to hemolytic anemia in dogs and cats.

Load More
Pets FleasAugust 22, 2012
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
dawn for fleas
Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 11:10:44 PM on 10.0.2.130 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.