Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas

Category Fleas
The presence of garlic can repel fleas if used safely. This guide is about using garlic to repel fleas.

I've responded to questions and tips several times regarding giving garlic to pets for flea control or assorted other reasons, but maybe it will be more helpful if posted as a tip that might reach more folk? Please consider reading up about Heinz-Body anemia before you make the decision to give garlic in any form, or anything in the alliums family for that matter, to a pet. Personally, I wouldn't risk the health of my pet when there are other safe alternatives available. Here are two really good links to begin your homework with:

By Deeli from Richland, WA

OK, so I talked to my dog Luigi (aka Fido) and he is kind of pissed about the whole no garlic deal. He indicated that the only way he has been able to eat the dog food I've been feeding him is if I mix in a healthy amount of garlic and fresh basil. He also mentioned that he has several relatives in Southern Italy who would be more than happy to "help" the human who is recommending the no garlic for K-9 Americans understand the error of their thinking. Please don't let Luigi know that I gave your tip a thumbs-up.

Can I give my dog garlic power?

By Margo from wilm dem

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Garlic and onion can cause hemolytic anemia in animals. I wouldnt take the chance.

No it may be poison for your dog.

How much and how often do I give raw garlic to my 60-70 pound dog?

By Jan N

I was going to sprinkle a little bit of garlic powder on my 80 pounds boxer back to rid of fleas we live out in the country and she is tormented by them I have to try something thank you for any advice you may have

I'm not sure.. Been trying the same thing but found out my trainer always used

elephant garlic and butter. She's never used a flea remedy.. she's never had fleas. I'm going to call her Monday and see how muich i can give my 74 lb Golden.

I'll let you know

Julia

If you put garlic in dog food will it keep fleas off your dog?

By Mike H.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Garlic can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs.

At what age can I give a puppy garlic for flea protection?

By Eliot

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You should never give a dog or cat garlic or onion. It can cause hemolytic anemia, which is a very serious disorder.

I was wondering how much garlic I can use on my dogs that weigh approximately 10-17 lbs? They have fleas.

By Brenda from Ontario, CA

Garlic is safe for dogs. While the onion has thiosulphate, the garlic of the same family does not contain any thiosulphate.

I don't buy the advice you should ever use home remedies on yourself or pets. I eat garlic regularly, as did my mother and father. My father passed at age 108 and my mother was in good health until Alzheimer's took her at 83.

I'm 68 years and strong as a bull. You can repel fleas on cats by rubbing garlic and vinegar water into their fur a couple of times a week with no adverse effects. I had two cats which I used this remedy on and one lived to 21 years and the other to 11. It would have lived longer if it had been born with two kidneys instead of one.

Most vets and doctors are honest but they are still in business to make money. They will often have you coming back for mostly un-necessary treatments and test. Unless you or your animal have some apparently serious illness or injury, let time heal it.

I bought some garlic gel-caps, 1000mg. I was wondering how much to give a 7lb dog?

By Brandice

Anonymous

Absolutely none! Look up "is it safe to give dogs garlic" on the web to verify! Small amounts may not harm your dog at first but it builds up in the system. It causes a disease called 'Heinz Body Anemia' (look that up too) that Lizzyanny mentioned.

They are in the allium plant family which also includes any type of onion (including chives) and all types of lily's.

I can't believe companies still sell this stuff for pets and that even some veterinarians still recommend it (they seriously need to brush up on their training or quit their practice)!

Lizzyanny is also correct that the same thing happens to cats.

Not 1000 mg for a 7 lb dog. That's like a "baby" in size. Find garlic/brewer's yeast tablets at Puritan's Pride (for pets, cats & dogs).

Is it true that you can use garlic as a flea treatment for dogs? I was told that you give the dog a little bit of garlic every day and it gets into the bloodstream which helps keep the fleas away.

By Kac from Bennington, VT

No garlic; no onions. Sorry, but you can buy reasonably priced flea treatment through this link.

http://cheapfrontlineplus.com/

Best check with your vet or a vet school and do more research on this one. I've also read that it is dangerous (anonymous source) but, my sister has been adding garlic powder to her dogs' food with great results in eliminating fleas. And they live in a very warm, humid climate where fleas thrive. All three of her dogs (three different breeds) are healthy and without fleas.

Sometimes, home remedies are shunned by those with a vested interest in promoting other products. NOT SAYING that this is the case in this situation, just that it's important to research these things carefully and thoroughly. Just because someone wrote something on the web doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Verify the authority of the source before making your decision to try or not.

Is brewers yeast with garlic tablets good for them?

By Kato from Mobile, AL

Please NEVER use garlic or anything that contains garlic for any of your dogs or cats! I can be highly toxic & cause illness or even death. Please check ASPCA's website for a listing of "human foods" that pets should not have. http://www.aspc  eople-foods.aspx

Garlic can contribute to hemolytic anemia in dogs and cats.

If you put garlic powder on your dog/cat and they lick it off, when it's in their blood will it stop fleas and ticks from biting? Or will it harm your best friends (pets)?

By C dub from Wichita Falls

NEVER give dogs any form of garlic, onions, raisins... check out sites like www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.aspx for more info plus use Google & type in "foods poisionous to dogs". Check with your local pet store or vet as to decent/proper products for flea prevention!

Feeding garlic in any form can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs and cats. Don't do it.

I have a 60 lb. Husky and Dalmatian mix. I want to know how much garlic to give her and how often. Can I give her fresh garlic? Thank you.

By kt

Anonymous

Absolutely none! Anything in the allium family (such as garlic, onions and lily's) can be poisonous to dogs and cats and at the very least there is a high potential of the animal developing Heinz Body Anemia which destroys the red blood cells.

Garlic Boosting the immune system is crucial to helping your pet defend itself naturally. Adding garlic to a dog's diet is one way  either fresh cloves (for a very small dog, ¼ clove per day; for a large dog, 1 to 2 small cloves a day). I add garlic powder or fresh garlic to their meat/veggie mix when I'm making it.

Some say that garlic powder is useless for this purpose because it has been overprocessed, but I use it more than fresh garlic and it seems to work just as well. Opt for fresh if you can. You can purchase a jar of minced garlic at the store, packed in water or olive oil, or you can make your own. Just mince the cloves, then pour enough olive oil in a glass jar to cover them. Keep in the pantry, not exposed to light.

The olive oil is good for the animal too (contains certain essential fatty acids). There are also preformulated garlic products -- www.springtimeinc.com makes a garlic product for dogs that Ive heard great things about.

From Dr. Pitcairns Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats: Garlic helps to eliminate worms, strengthen digestion and beneficially stimulate the digestive tract. Use it to promote intestinal health. It is also indicated for animals that have been on a high meat or fish diet, and those that tend to be overweight or suffer hip pain from arthritis or dysplasia.

Include fresh grated garlic with each meal, use ½ to 3 cloves, depending on the animals size. [p. 87] For your dog, you can purchase minced garlic in olive oil at the grocery store, to save having to mince it yourself. The olive oil is also good for the animal, as it contains certain essential fatty acids. Note that cats should not be fed raw garlic as it can cause a dangerous form of anemia. For more information on adding Kyolic Liquid Aged Garlic Extract (not toxic to cats) to your pet's diet, see http://www.whol  icles/fleas.htm.

For garlic, add 1/2 minced clove per day to a small dog's meals, for a large dog 1-2 whole minced cloves. Garlic has antibacterial properties as well and is a good immune system enhancer. Digestive enzymes, specifically papaya and pineapple (bromelain) also help fight parasites by irritating and/or dissolving their outer coating, along with aiding digestion. However, if you have a chronic, long standing, and/or severe infestation, it may be best to use a conventional wormer to eradicate the parasites (for many, the damage they cause is worse than the practice of using a chemical to kill them). Then put the animal on one of these natural wormers/preventatives as maintenance.

Apple Cider Vinegar In their book, The Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog, Wendy Volhard and Kerry Brown, DVM, note that Apples contain a large amount of potassium plus phosphorus, chlorine, sodium, magnesium, calcium, sulfur, iron, fluorine, silicon, and many trace minerals. . . . ACV (apple cider vinegar) is credited with killing bacteria outright. . . . Depending on the size of the dog, add 1/4 teaspoon (toy dogs) to 3 tablespoons (dogs over 50 lbs) total per day to their meals.

Itchy skin is a sign that the skin is too alkaline in nature. Fleas and ticks do not find acidic skin desirable to live on, hence the importance of maintaining a slightly acidic body (for dogs, the normal skin pH range is 6.2-6.5). You can use straight ACV as an after-bath rinse; before going out into the country; and on beginning hot spots. If the skin is already broken, dilute the ACV 1:1 with water so it doesnt sting and spray it onto the skin (test on a small area first, just to be sure it doesnt sting). If the dog has a thick coat, work it into the coat so it reaches the skin.

As an ear rinse, use several drops of the 1:1 dilution weekly to help alleviate chronic ear infections.

These health conditions and others (including sore joints and the beginnings of arthritis), often indicate a potassium deficiency, so ACV is a cheap way to help improve your animals health. If giving ACV orally, purchase a product with the mother (apple fiber particles) in it, not the kind you buy at the grocery store. A good brand is Braggs, which can be found at health food stores. If applying topically, the grocery store products are fine.

If I boil up some garlic cloves in water and spray the residue on my dog, do you think it would get rid of fleas?

By Tracey B

It might! My mom used to buy garlic powder (I think from the vitamin section). She'd sprinkle about a tablespoon full over their food and mix it in. They never seemed to notice, and it was supposed to help repel fleas (also easier & less stinky!).

There are a lot of remedies on earthclinic.com. I have found lemon juice sprayed on the ferrets and rubbed in keeps a lot of fleas off of them. I put about a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar per four cups of water for the dogs in the really bad part of flea season. Also we do advantage and one of the dogs does comfortis. Fleas are really bad t his year. Salt put under sheets and on carpet for a few days and then vacuumed up off the carpet kills flea eggs. and vacuum all the time to get the fleas and kill them.

That is a really good idea. Here is the link to the natural remedies for fleas, and dont forget the flea comb~

http://www.eart  /Pets/fleas.html

Blessings,

Robyn

I bought a bottle of garlic in gel cap form (500 mg) for fleas on my dog, but I am hesitant about giving my 12 lb. Dachshund her first dose. Anyone else using the garlic gel-caps for fleas and how many mgs. do you use?

By Luann from NY

You can see for yourself by doing a Google search on people foods for dogs about what is alright and what isn't to give a dog, sorry, but onions and garlic are harmful and can cause health issues. Please avoid using garlic for flea treatment.

Anonymous

Garlic And Pets

Please consider reading up about Heinz-body anemia before deciding to give garlic in any form, or anything in the allium family for that matter, to any pet.

http://www.exot  vian/onions.html

http://www.k9ma  e/iss31p13.shtml

Can I use garlic for flea control on my cats?

By tsadybug from Fairfield, PA

Anonymous

According to this website, new research shows that raw garlic can cause a dangerous form of anemia and even lead to death in cats.

http://www.care  s-for-cats.html#

No, never give garlic to a cat or dog. Please consult your Vet for a safe flea control. Read what the ASPCA Poison Control Center says about garlic: http://www.aspc  eople-foods.html

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I buy garlic pills (the gel-caps) and poke a hole in one gel-cap with a needle and squeeze the oil into my dogs food about 5 days a week.

Not only is it good for their coat and health, but it does wonder to deter fleas and ticks. Living in the woods, we have a lot of wild animals running through our yard at night, and I have not seen a flea or a tick on my dog.

By David from Ellsworth, ME

Comment Like this photo? 10

How much garlic can I give my dog can you list the different doses and wt

Reply Like this photo? Yes

How much garlic powder do I give my 50 lb. dog to prevent fleas?

By Eddie from Dallas, TX

Answers:

How Much Garlic Should I Use to Prevent Fleas?

I have heard that garlic and onions are on the list of toxic substances for dogs. Please check this out first. (07/20/2010)

By merlene

Absolutely none! Anything from the Allium family of plants can be toxic to dogs! It affects their red blood cells and can cause anemia, among other health problems over time. It is not worth the risk even in small amounts. (07/21/2010)

By Deeli

People, people, people! I have fed my dog garlic powder sprinkled over his food and he is healthy, spry and his coat is beautiful, and not one flea! So, listen to your vet tell you it's bad for them (but they get kick-backs for selling flea protection as well as a huge profit) or listen to those that have used it for years and saved big $$$ over paying out.

**Above all, chemicals are never better!** (09/15/2010)

By friv2004

As a veterinarian of 31 years, I typically send people over to a store named, Southern States. I believe they have a website too. They carry a product by Excel called Brewer Yeast with Garlic. It is in a tablet form. This is the best way to provide the garlic to your dog. The bottle contains 1000 chew tabs for around $10.00 (09/29/2010)

By William

They say to give your dog half a clove of garlic in there food daily for fleas. Will this work for ticks also? I am having a big problem with them!

Donna from Jacksonville, FL

Answers:

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Actually I head that garlic and onions (and even raisins) can be toxic to dogs. You'd probably be better off talking to your vet before you do anything. (03/31/2006)

By halloweenfreak

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

My advise is to check with your vet and have the doctor put your dog on something like Program, Sentinel, or Frontline. Don't rely on garlic alone. (03/31/2006)

By Anonymous

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Wal Mart has some garlic and yeast tablets to give to your pets. They love them, if you have more than one pet, they fight over them. The name of them is "Brewers Yeast". They are in the pet section and cost under $5 for a bottle of 100. It also has omega oils and vitamins. It makes their coats shiny. Good luck. (04/01/2006)

By Janice from LA

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Please take your dog to the vet and get dog medicine. There are wonderful remedies that the vet can recommend for fleas and ticks that work well. (04/01/2006)

By sylviecyn

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

You can put brewers yeast on their food. Hartz also makes a great topical (once a month). Just be sure to check size. (04/01/2006)

By camo_angels

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

If you go with an OTC topical repellent (fleas/ticks and mosquitoes by the way). Tell your vet because it can be like an overdose. And read what the vet recommends before actually giving it to them. Some of these new combos can double up, making a sensitive dog VERY sick. (04/01/2006)

By camo_angels

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Yes, onions kill dogs, as well as grapes! They affect something in their blood. (maybe other foods too). Garlic is reported to actually work perhaps, but also can present some very serious health consequences to pets for the same reason. Check with a vet and be very cautious when giving supplements to your pets and to people, too! Many supplements and medicines for people can be quite harmful or fatal to our pet companions. (04/01/2006)

By kidsNclutter

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

It is better to talk to your vet first. Over the years, there has been new information about our pets' diet.

My father-in-law fed his two dogs fresh garlic every day. The dogs smelled so bad, their breath was unbearable. No one wanted these dogs near them because of their awful odor. They both died of a liver problem less than a year apart which now makes me wonder if by giving them garlic caused their health problem.

By the way, the dogs still got fleas. They had to have their home "bombed" a few times by an exterminator. (04/01/2006)

By mkymlp

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

In California we always used eucalyptus
leaves and put that on dog's bed and made
a collar from the little round things from the eucalyptus trees. It helps for fleas and we never had
fleas on our dog or 3 indoor outdoor cats who each
wore those collars. (04/02/2006)

By meoowmom

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

Onions are toxic, but garlic is safe in moderate doses. It takes a huge amount of garlic in one serving to overdose. I have used garlic tablets for 4 years with no problems and have proof it works for fleas and ticks. My dog hunts and never gets ticks, but the other dogs that go do. (04/21/2006)

By Christy

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

"Please do not poison your dog with garlic". Please see this link from National Geographic. I used to give my dog garlic, thinking I was doing her a favor. She got Addison's disease and I always wonder if that's why. Please see this link.

nationalgeographic.com (08/17/2009)

By amino

Giving Garlic to Your Dog

As a veterinarian of 31 years, I typically send people over to a store named, Southern States. I believe they have a website, too. They carry a product by Excel specifically for dogs called Brewers Yeast with Garlic. It is in a tablet form. This is the best way to provide the garlic to your dog. In addition, the tablets contain Omega 3 and B-Complex. The bottle contains 1000 chew tabs for around $10.00. (09/29/2010)

By William

Can I feed my dog garlic salt on her food for fleas?

By little bit from Gadsden, AL

Answers:

No, I don't think so. (09/18/2009)

By veda815

Alliums (onions and garlic) are poisonous to dogs and depending on their age, weight and health, even small amounts can be lethal to them. :-( (09/19/2009)

By Deeli

Please don't give your dog garlic salt. No salt for canines! Please! (09/22/2009)

By islandsage

Hello, I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Please do not give your dog garlic, this is an old wives tale that it gets rid of fleas. Take your dog to his groomer for a bath and then apply some Advantage once a month, you can get this from your Vet. Good luck. (09/22/2009)

By K9cats

First off, garlic salt is not the same as garlic cloves or fresh chopped garlic, much less strength in the salt product, but regardless, garlic really does not do anything to rid the fleas, just gives the dog stinky breath! You also do not want to add salt to a pet's diet as it can throw them out of wack with increased salt intake. Try using Vitamin D, 2 a day seems to work.

Also, you can use lavender oil on the bed that they sleep in, fleas hate lavender. It works to plant lavender around your house to keep them out of your yard as well. We use the yeast tablets from the health store. We have a 200 pound "puppy," he is a Newfoundland, we give him 2 tablets twice a day as we did for our other dogs and we have absolutely no fleas. I would know if they were still here, as I am allergic to the bites and have not had a single one in two years. Best of luck to you! (09/22/2009)

By Beau D

I have read in countless places, including here, that feeding my dogs garlic every day will help keep the fleas off of them. My question is, how much?

I have read different postings about garlic to get rid of the fleas. Is it okay to give the dogs oil from the minced garlic in the jar in their food?

I read that putting garlic oil in dog food prevents fleas. What I'd like to know is how much garlic should she ingest a day?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.