Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas

The presence of garlic can repel fleas if used safely. This guide is about using garlic to repel fleas.

May 17, 2011 Flag

I buy garlic pills (the gel-caps) and poke a hole in one gel-cap with a needle and squeeze the oil into my dogs food about 5 days a week.

Not only is it good for their coat and health, but it does wonder to deter fleas and ticks. Living in the woods, we have a lot of wild animals running through our yard at night, and I have not seen a flea or a tick on my dog.

By David from Ellsworth, ME

How much garlic can I give my dog can you list the different doses and wt

June 28, 2011 Flag

I've responded to questions and tips several times regarding giving garlic to pets for flea control or assorted other reasons, but maybe it will be more helpful if posted as a tip that might reach more folk? Please consider reading up about Heinz-Body anemia before you make the decision to give garlic in any form, or anything in the alliums family for that matter, to a pet. Personally, I wouldn't risk the health of my pet when there are other safe alternatives available. Here are two really good links to begin your homework with:

By Deeli from Richland, WA

OK, so I talked to my dog Luigi (aka Fido) and he is kind of pissed about the whole no garlic deal. He indicated that the only way he has been able to eat the dog food I've been feeding him is if I mix in a healthy amount of garlic and fresh basil. He also mentioned that he has several relatives in Southern Italy who would be more than happy to "help" the human who is recommending the no garlic for K-9 Americans understand the error of their thinking. Please don't let Luigi know that I gave your tip a thumbs-up.

February 5, 2013 Flag

With two cats who come in and out, I worried about flea treatments.

October 7, 2013 Flag

Can I give my dog garlic power?

By Margo from wilm dem

No it may be poison for your dog.

November 13, 2011 Flag

How much and how often do I give raw garlic to my 60-70 pound dog?

By Jan N

I was going to sprinkle a little bit of garlic powder on my 80 pounds boxer back to rid of fleas we live out in the country and she is tormented by them I have to try something thank you for any advice you may have

December 29, 2010 Flag

I was wondering how much garlic I can use on my dogs that weigh approximately 10-17 lbs? They have fleas.

By Brenda from Ontario, CA

I don't buy the advice you should ever use home remedies on yourself or pets. I eat garlic regularly, as did my mother and father. My father passed at age 108 and my mother was in good health until Alzheimer's took her at 83.

I'm 68 years and strong as a bull. You can repel fleas on cats by rubbing garlic and vinegar water into their fur a couple of times a week with no adverse effects. I had two cats which I used this remedy on and one lived to 21 years and the other to 11. It would have lived longer if it had been born with two kidneys instead of one.

Most vets and doctors are honest but they are still in business to make money. They will often have you coming back for mostly un-necessary treatments and test. Unless you or your animal have some apparently serious illness or injury, let time heal it.

August 22, 2012 Flag

I bought some garlic gel-caps, 1000mg. I was wondering how much to give a 7lb dog?

By Brandice

Not 1000 mg for a 7 lb dog. That's like a "baby" in size. Find garlic/brewer's yeast tablets at Puritan's Pride (for pets, cats & dogs).

April 2, 2013 Flag

If you put garlic in dog food will it keep fleas off your dog?

By Mike H.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Garlic can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs.

March 12, 2013 Flag

At what age can I give a puppy garlic for flea protection?

By Eliot

You should never give a dog or cat garlic or onion. It can cause hemolytic anemia, which is a very serious disorder.

November 11, 2010 Flag

Is it true that you can use garlic as a flea treatment for dogs? I was told that you give the dog a little bit of garlic every day and it gets into the bloodstream which helps keep the fleas away.

By Kac from Bennington, VT

Best check with your vet or a vet school and do more research on this one. I've also read that it is dangerous (anonymous source) but, my sister has been adding garlic powder to her dogs' food with great results in eliminating fleas. And they live in a very warm, humid climate where fleas thrive. All three of her dogs (three different breeds) are healthy and without fleas.

Sometimes, home remedies are shunned by those with a vested interest in promoting other products. NOT SAYING that this is the case in this situation, just that it's important to research these things carefully and thoroughly. Just because someone wrote something on the web doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Verify the authority of the source before making your decision to try or not.

June 24, 2013 Flag

Is brewers yeast with garlic tablets good for them?

By Kato from Mobile, AL

Please NEVER use garlic or anything that contains garlic for any of your dogs or cats! I can be highly toxic & cause illness or even death. Please check ASPCA's website for a listing of "human foods" that pets should not have. http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.aspx

March 22, 2013 Flag

If you put garlic powder on your dog/cat and they lick it off, when it's in their blood will it stop fleas and ticks from biting? Or will it harm your best friends (pets)?

By C dub from Wichita Falls

NEVER give dogs any form of garlic, onions, raisins... check out sites like www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.aspx for more info plus use Google & type in "foods poisionous to dogs". Check with your local pet store or vet as to decent/proper products for flea prevention!

September 26, 2012 Flag

I have a 60 lb. Husky and Dalmatian mix. I want to know how much garlic to give her and how often. Can I give her fresh garlic? Thank you.

Load More
Pets FleasAugust 22, 2012
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
dawn for fleas
Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎄