A quick survey of the internet shows many sites that talk about onions and garlic and being poisonous, even deadly to cats and dogs. On the same page, you will see ads for "Natural Garlic Supplements For Dogs" and sites that recommend garlics for flea prevention and general well-being. It is hard to know what to think.
Here is a pet health site from the American Animal Hospital Association that discusses poisons.
Toward the bottom of that page, there is a specific list of poisonous materials. It lists garlic and onions as poisonous, even deadly, but only in a raw or spoiled form. So does that mean that cooked garlic is OK? What about garlic supplements that people are selling for pets?
We'd like to know what you think! What have been your experiences with garlic? What has your vet told you? Has anyone lost a pet due to garlic poisoning?
Please post your feedback below.
Here are the recent answer to this question.
I have a Springer cross lab who is ten months old, I feed him garlic chopped into his food maybe once a month or more to worm him and prevent flees (he's never had either) and he is extremely healthy but I had heard that garlic was poisonous so I did a bit of Googling and research today and it seems to me that it is always thought to be toxic in theory but not in practice. In my experience no dogs I know have had bad reactions to garlic, perhaps some dogs have been allergic or have had a bad reaction as it is quite a strong taste etc and people may have assumed it was toxic to all? I don't know but in my experience it's fine. :)
Do not give them garlic! Raisins, chocolate, onions, antifreeze, and yes, enough garlic, will kill your pet. It cost me $1000 to save my beautiful, auburn, female Chesapeake Bay Retriever from raisin poisoning, and I'd pay it again in a heartbeat. But we no longer permit raisins, onions, chocolate, or garlic anywhere in our house. It was only a small amount of raisins, but one never knows just how much will kill any particular pet, depending on that pet's body chemistry. My dog is 43 pounds, but her body reacts immediately to any type of poisonous foods. How can you ask your poor pet if it's particular body chemistry will have a deadly reaction to one of these poison foods? Is it worth risking the life of your beloved pet to find out? I say no! Period!
My lab-shepherd mix lived to be 16 years old. I gave one piece of a garlic clove minced (in food) whenever I thought she might be having problems, but tried to do it weekly. It seemed to help worms and fleas. She never had any adverse reactions. I now have a lab puppy who has worms, according to the vet, and the meds cost over 40 dollars for three pills. I will use this for now, but plan to give her garlic when she is a bit bigger.
I have worked at a vets office since the age of 15 and i am 26 now, I am a RVT, and I have been feeding my dogs garlic for years now and there have been no side effects to it at all, garlic is supposed to repel misquitos so I think it has been beneficial to them not harmful, onions on the other hand do cause major problems and they could die from eating them, have seen to many come in the clinic with onion poisioning, I just did bloodwork on my dogs the other day and it is perfect and we eat garlic salt everynight on our food along with garlic powder and also minced garlic.
Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.
From time to time on ThriftyFun, the community debates whether garlic is beneficial or harmful to dogs and cats. With the pet food recalls, an increased interest has been created with homemade pet foods and pet health.
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.