Tips When Your Dog is Vomiting

When your dog is vomiting it can be very scary. Once you've eliminated any serious issues such as bloat or poison contact, the best way to get the problem under control is Stop - Slow - Bland.

Stop all food and water for at least 6 hours. Slowly begin with crushed ice chips or a small amount of salt-free broth. If that is held down after 3 hours, repeat. After 3 more hours, give a very small amount of boiled chicken. Repeat 3 hours later. If the problem is still gone, slowly start back on regular diet, giving 3-4 small meals per day instead of 1 large one for at least 2 days. If vomiting is accompanied by lethargy, fever, shaking, or obvious signs of discomfort see your vet immediately!

Source: Lebanon Animal Hospital gave us this advice for our dog, Rogue (in pet contest!) and the STOP SLOW BLAND method got her back on track in 2 days.

By blackbeararts from Lebanon, TN

Some good ideas, but our vet cautions that if home remedies aren't working and the dog is still having bouts of vomiting after 12 hours, time for a trip to the doc,whether other symptoms like lethargy or tremors are present or not.

Often, dogs will not obviously show evidence of pain, even if it's there and dehydration can onset quickly even after one day of vomiting, which can put the dog at risk for system shutdown.

This is really good advice, but may not always work. My son & his wife have a dog who vomited constantly, went into seizures & looked so very emaciated he could have been thought to be abused & neglected. (You could count his ribs from several feet away.) They took him to vet after vet after vet for 2-3 years with no improvement whatsoever. One day a friend suggested they try an all Natural dog food for him. The vomiting stopped immediately, he now looks a bit chunky and is such a happy dog. The food has be purchased at a pet store & is expensive, but after the thousands spent at the various Vets to no avail & now to have him be so healthy they feel it's a bargain. So, if all efforts fail the all Natural dog food may be worth a try.

August 26, 2010 Flag

My dog has been vomiting for about 2 days on and off. It initially started out as A LOT of food. So, we thought it was because he gorged himself. Honestly we could not believe he could have eaten that amount of food. He is on IAMS dog food if that matters.

That went on for the first day. Now he is still throwing up periodically. But he acts and plays normal. This morning he threw up again. This time it was a dark brown. Like black coffee. I have never seen this color of vomit in a dog. Should I be really concerned? He acts normal?

Is there something I can give him to help him through this? I don't have the money to take him to the vet right now. Are there any home remedies? He is drinking fine. His stool yesterday was loose, but not watery or bloody that I could see.

I am desperate. Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance.

My Dog is Vomiting

Michelle, he might have picked up a stomach virus or something. Has he been trying to eat grass at all? How old is he? Has he gotten anything down at all?

A lot of people say against giving people food to dogs but when my dogs have had problems, I've given them VERY LEAN ground beef browned (with some water) on the stove in a pot and mixed with some cooked white rice. It gets some nourishment in the stomach without a lot of irritation.

If that stops it and when you switch back to the IAMS it starts back up, it's the dog food. Keep your eye on him, it might pass on its own- especially if he's acting normal otherwise. Might also be a bad batch of the dog food....

REALLY hope this helps as I know how awful a sick dog can be. Post back and let me know. Good luck!! (07/18/2005)

By bunnysnore

My Dog is Vomiting

This can be the start of Parvo, which is most times deadly. Take the dog to the Vet immediately. Even at that, our dog was misdiagnosed the first time and was barely pulled through her bout with parvo. This is especially true if the dog has not been vaccinated for Parvo which ours had not been. Hope it is not this. Good luck (07/19/2005)

By fauxpaslover

My Dog is Vomiting

I came across a website that might be helpful. ( Look under V for vomiting. Hopefully this helps. (07/19/2005)

By bunnysnore

My Dog is Vomiting

I agree with the poster that it could be Parvo which is deadly very quickly. Most Vets will work out a payment plan with you if you call ahead and explain the symptoms and just tell them you can't afford it right now but could pay X amount of dollars per month toward the bill. I have 5 dogs so I know how the bills can add up but Parvo is nothing to fool with. I lost a puppy to it years ago when they called it the "dog show disease" because so many showdogs were coming down with it. (07/20/2005)

By Roberta

My Dog is Vomiting

Take him to a vet immediately! Coffee grounds vomitus is a sign of bleeding. It is actually old dark blood. It should be checked (07/20/2005)

By Holly

My Dog is Vomiting

I agree with Holly. The darkness you are seeing is blood. Maybe your vet can work out a payment plan with you. Good luck! (07/20/2005)

By Jo

My Dog is Vomiting

I agree...take your dog to the vet!! The last dog we had vomited intermittently for 2 weeks, we took her to the vet, assuming she had worms or something like that...The next morning they called and told us she was in total kidney failure! We had to have her put to sleep that same weekend. We found out that it was due to her eating 'human food' on a regular basis. It's not worth it, our new dog gets no scraps, the sad puppy eyes she has are not worth the outcome. I totally understand the financial issue, vet visits can be outrageous...I would call and ask for a payment plan. Most vets really just want to help, so call around and see what you can find out. Also, I know locally there are vet schools, that might work out cheaper for you. Good luck, I hope it turns out to be one of those 'no big deal ' episodes! (07/20/2005)

By 5ofus

My Dog is Vomiting

Take you puppy to the vet right away. Vomiting can be anything from an upset stomach to parvo. Be safe with your puppy, go to the vet! (07/20/2005)

By Sandy

My Dog is Vomiting

my dog once got ahold of some grease that a neighbor had poured out this may have happened watch water intake and take him for walks to work out of his system (10/31/2005)

By christie

My Dog is Vomiting too!

I have a mix Chihuahua for 2 weeks, he is 6 months old now. He started vomiting for last 2 days every time after I feed him with milk. He has not eaten or drinking since last Friday. He is losing weight now and look weak. I was so busy and did not have time to take him to clinic for a shot.I will do tomorrow but he is weak now I don't know it a good time to give him a shot. I did not know what cause that make him sick, maybe he ate the human food.Any thing or any medication that I can do to help him get more energy for now.Please advise. Thank you

Editor's Note: It's good you are taking him to the vet. He could have parvo or have eaten something poisonous. Best wishes for a full recovery. (07/01/2007)

By Tina

My Dog is Vomiting

Please do not take it lightly. I just lost my dog yesterday. I had even taken him to the vet 1 week back, but his diagnosis was wrong. He didn't even recommend a blood test all this while assuming that he has pneumonia or some viral infection.

My Dog is Vomiting

My dog was doing this and he had an intestinal blockage and had to have surgery. Please take your dog to the vet! (01/23/2009)

By Tammy

My Dog is Vomiting

I don't care what your financial situation is. Get your dog to the vet! If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a dog and should not have one. Never give your dog white rice. It is harmful to them. Give them brown rice. It is a common mistake many people make. (07/07/2010)

By hamspear

August 26, 2010 Flag

I just got a puppy on May 28, she wouldn't eat or drink on that following day. Then out of the blue, she drank milk, it caused her too poop and vomit.

Golden retriever puppy not feeling well.
Caring for a Dog After it Vomits
Pets Dogs HealthAugust 26, 2010
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
A bull dog puppy eating a red shoe.
My Puppy Ate Something it Shouldn't
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog