Gargle With Cola for Sore Throat

When a sore throat is beginning to develop, pull out the cola! Just gargle with any type of a cola (Dr. Pepper, Coke, Pepsi, favorite store brands of cola). Gargle and "spit" until the cola return looks like cola with no mucus. Do this as often as necessary! Sounds gross, but it works!

Source: Ole wives tale handed down through generations of my family.

By Joyce from Knoxville, TN

I'm going to try that. Phosphoric acid is in cola I think and maybe it's that. An acid environment with fizzing to get in crevices of throat. Bacteria doesn't like acid.

I have heard this advice, too. I tried it one time and it did not help me at all. It probably works for some and not others. The one thing that always helps me without fail is to gargle with salt water. I think it's a matter of trying different things to see what works for you!

This probably works because of the salt in cola. Salt eases cold symptoms:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/h ... 1&scp=1&sq=gargle&st=cse

Unless you want to gain weight and rot your teeth, you'd be better off just using salt water. Take a cup of warm water add just enough salt to taste.

Don't believe there's salt in cola?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

(90-min youtube video)

She has really got to be kidding! She might as well be telling us to gargle with sugar water!

It may be the salt, or it may be the carbonation that is "supposed" to make this work, but for myself, I"ll stick with salt water or Listerine! Much better for the rawness of a sore throat without putting all that sugar on it!

Sorry everyone, but ascorbic acid in the soda isn't going to help a sore throat. At least not in my opinion. I will stick with tea and honey, which soothes. Like it was said though, it might work for some but not for others.

Bacteria may not like acid, but it loves sugar! This is dumb.

I use salt water, it works well. We don't drink soda, haven't for years.

I was going to say watch the dental hygiene, but after reading the other comments about acids, salt etc I am not sure I even want to drink cola again! I do know that Coke is the best thing for cleaning engine grease off a driveway. No wonder it takes mucus off the throat!

It makes sense to me. The salt, carbonation, etc in cola. I wouldn't swallow it though; that would eliminate the packing on the pounds problem. Plus reintroducing bacteria into body.

I would rinse with water when done to eliminate sugar on enamel.

Myself I don't think all the acid in soda does any good. My family always used and uses a raw onion when a sore throat is just beginning and it has helped from keeping it from getting a sore throat. It will burn because your throat is sore but it does work.

A doctor examining a child with a sore throat.
Sore Throat Remedies
Health & Beauty Home RemediesSeptember 25, 2009
hot tea
Remedies for a Burned Throat
Coca Cola
Uses for Coca Cola
Cherry Cola
Making Cherry Cola
Cola
Cherry Cola Salad Recipes
🎉
🎄