Organizing for Frequent Moves

My husband's work requires us to move every 4 to 6 months. The entire house and my car is in storage. I am looking for ways to be more organized, so when it's time to move again, I know where things are for the nights we have to stay in hotels. We are usually on the road 3 days before we get to the provided rental home.

By Sharon

Maybe get 3 boxes +/- and fill them with what you know you like to have those nights in motel. Maybe get spares from garage sales, the way some people keep things aside for camping.

I got rid of the suitcase and started using rubbermaid bins for clothing (this works if you are driving I'm not sure about flying). I have one for each me and my husband. I have a smaller bin for our cosmetics. I have pared the cosmetics down to what is needed. I have streamlined my beauty care. I'm not taking anything that motels supply such as iron or hair dryer. My bins only contain for the season. In my bin I have large gallon size ziplock bags that I use to keep up with small items such as underwear & socks. I have also cut a piece of cardboard and seperated the bin into to 2 compartments-one side for shirts and one for pants or shorts. I have our financial stuff in a zip up binder that I have in a carry bag with one craft that I'm working on at the time. I usually put family pictures in the financial binder that I put up immediatly upon arriving at our new temp place. I usually put my shoes in ziplock bags and place under the seat and just go and get what i need and don't take them into the motel. For 2 people this adds up to 2 medium bins, 1 small bin and a bag with straps. Hope this helps

Anonymous

Holy Cow! I can only imagine how hard this must be for you! Do you have children? Is it absolutely necessary that you travel with your husband from job to job? Can you just set up home 'somewhere' and he visit you or you visit him when possible? I've known lots of people who were/are long haul truck drivers and they simply keep a 'home base'! If you could share more information it would make it easier to give realistic advice to help you.

Just pack your bags as you would normally do, including toiletries, etc. Then when you get to your new home, launder everything, pack it right back up, and set the packed luggage aside, ready to go again. Then when it is time to move again, just grab the bags and go! Since you will be wearing the same outfits, just in a new city. You can also wear the same jewelry, shoes, etc.