Kitten Not Using Litter Box

My kitten is doing his business on the carpet. He is 3 months old, and I have had him since he was 12 weeks old. When I got him, he was using the litter tray no problem, but I went away and he started messing on the floor. He still uses the litter tray sometimes. I have tried everything and am at the end of my tether. Please help. Thank you.

By Sarah C

When buster did that as a kitten I thought I was going to have to put him outside but I caught him one day put his nose in it and spanked his but good and he dicided he would use the pan like the others. I cleaned the spot and sprinkled garlic powder and black pepper there and all of them gave the spot a wide birth.

My cat did the same thing, and is fine now, after intervention. Turned out he has Urinary Tract Disease. This is common in cats (I think male cats, primarily, but I am no veterinarian). The reason your cat may not use the litter box is b/c he is associating it with pain during urination. It is treatable. Take him to the vet just in case (I was told that cats have a high pain tolerance so don't wait for him to exhibit pain before you go to vet.) If they see the symptoms of UTI disease then you can get him on prescription food and a very good clumping litter and things will return to normal. It has made all the difference in the world for my Dexter! (Alternatively, your cat could just be upset about something that has changed in his environment, which would be more of a behavioral "message" to you.) I really hope this helps.

I'd take him to the vet for a check-up. Never hit the cat or "put his nose in it"! He has no idea the reason he is being hit for. You will only teach him to be afraid of you.

Hello,

Please do not do as one of the people mentioned. Never hit your cat, it is straight out animal abuse! 12 weeks & 3 months are the same amount of time. Please take your kitten to the Veterinarian for an exam and all his vaccinations. When you see the Vet, your kitten can now be neutered, if he is not already. Good luck.

I would take him to the vet, my cat (when he was younger) started having "accidents" and it turned out he had a urinary tract infection. He never messes on the floor now, but my first move would be to take him to the vet. Also, I know mine is very picky about the kitty litter I buy, I use fresh step, and if I get anything that is scented, like the orange or pine etc. He will try to avoid the box as much as possible and make a mess on the paper I have surrounding it.

Litter Box Training a Cat, Tabby in litter box.
Litter Box Training a Cat
Pets CatsJuly 14, 2011
Kitty Litter Substitute
Kitty Litter Substitutes
Homemade Cat Litter Box
Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
🎉
🎄