Kitten Not Using the Litter Box

Category Cats
Finger pointing at kitten in litter box
Although many kittens will quickly learn to use a litter box, some take encouragement and patience. This is a guide about kitten not using the litter box.

My kitten skips using the litter box at night. She poos behind the sofa, not on furniture. What do I do? I tried spraying Keep Off on the furniture and the carpet, but it is not working.

By Tonya from Arnaudville, IA

Best Answer

I had this problem with an adopted grown cat. I read that they have to be "retrained". We put him in a dog crate with his litter box every night for several weeks. He is no longer crated and is using his litter box regularly now ( knock on wood). Good Luck and Be sure to clean the area he soiled with a product designed to remove animal odors.

I just got a kitten a week ago. Her box was in the living room and she was using it great. Three days ago we put it in the kitchen. She goes in it, but two days ago she peed on the floor.

Then she didn't, and she was fine, going in the litter. Then today she peed on the rug again in a different spot. Why is she doing this and how can I prevent it from happening again? My husband wants to get rid of her. Please help.

Tiffany

Answers:

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

With cats, when they are peeing other places other than the litter box it's a sign of a urinary tract infection. Take him/her to the vet to get checked for this problem. (08/05/2009)

By lorraina

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

I should state that usually it's a sign of tract infection. (08/05/2009)

By lorraina

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

Get her checked by a vet to make sure she is healthy. It is very upsetting to me when I read about how people will adopt a pet and don't have a clue on how to take care of them. You must plan to adopt a pet; almost like bringing a new baby home from the hospital.

You only had her for a few weeks, do not move the litter box to different places; this may confuse her. Find one spot and leave it. Cats like a private area to do their business, not out in the open. Cats are clean so do not place the litter box near her food or water. Keep the litter box clean; scoop every day.

Do a search on line and find out basic information about kittens/cats. Kittens are not that difficult, you have to remember it is still a kitten. You didn't mention the age of the kitten. Could it be too young? Usually a kitten is given up for adoption at eight weeks old, but it is better to leave them with the mother and siblings until their 10-12 weeks old. They learn social behavior from their mother and siblings. This applies to puppies too.

If your husband can't be understanding and have patience you may have to consider finding a new home for her. You can't expect her to learn instantly.

Please make sure you understand how to take care of a kitten. Be fair to her; she has to rely on a human for care. Have patience, give her love and comfort and she will reward you for many years to come. (08/06/2009)

By mkymlp

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

You do need to get her checked by the vet.

But it may be simply a matter of you moved the box too far at once. Some kittens get used to where the box was and any large change like you did is too much for them and they resent it. Try putting the box back where it was for a few days. Then once a week, move it closer to where you want it to be by only about 4-6 feet. By moving it gradually like this she may follow it with no problems.

But definitely ask the vet to check her out, too. It might be a physical problem. Although, since she used it when it was in the living room and didn't start not using till you moved it, I'd say it's more a matter of wanting it back where it was. (08/06/2009)

By Cricketnc

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

You don't mention how old the kitten is. We have a now 6 week old kitten we got when he was 2 weeks old. We had to teach him what the litter is and what is it for. Once we had him using the litter box, we put him in a bedroom (smaller area than the whole house) and put the litter box in 1 place and left it there. We have now started bringing him out w/supervision into the living room,, kitchen etc., but we make sure it's not right after he has eaten. We have 2 other adult cats in the house and he learned yesterday where their litter box is and used it! I think some patience and restriction on the area he's in will be a big help. If the problem continues, be sure he's seen by your vet. (08/06/2009)

By rsrandr

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

You didn't say what her age was. She may just forget where her litterbox is. You really shouldn't move it on her. We got a kitten that was very young, and he tried to get to his litterbox, but kept ending up in our utility room rather that the small room by the back door where we kept his box. The rooms were right next to each other, and by the time he realized he was in the wrong place, he couldn't hold it in anymore. When we saw him going to the wrong place, we'd pick him up and rush him to the litterbox. It only lasted a few weeks, and when he felt less stressed and knew our home better, he never had another accident. Be patient with her. (08/06/2009)

By susanmajp

My kitten is only a few months old and suddenly stopped using her litter box. My dad is giving me a week to get her to stop pooping on the floor. I need some help. Please give me some tips so I don't have to get rid of my kitten.

Lillie from Phoenix, AZ

Answers:

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

I have a "new" kitten and we took her to the vet. She was going to the bathroom anywhere she wanted. Found out she had worms. After treating her a couple of days, she started pooping and peeing in the litter box. Haven't had anymore trouble. Good luck, Deb. (12/13/2007)

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

Did you start using a different brand of kitty litter? Cats are very particular about smells, textures, and feels. If so, go back to what you were using. (12/13/2007)

By perfume and powder

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

Please get your kitten to a vet. (12/13/2007)

By Maryeileen

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

Before I saw the other feedback my thought was "vet". The poor thing could actually be sick and doesn't know how else to tell you something isn't right. (12/14/2007)

By Lynn

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

I had the same problem with an older cat and now with my kitten. My older cat did it because she had kidney problems, eventually her kidneys failed her. She was just trying to tell us.

My kitten is doing it because she smelled the same spot and is going there. I keep the area clean and try to spray either an enzyme spray (I got mine at Pet Smart) or vinegar. I also use carpet deodorizer a few times a week when I vacuum. It seems to help. Keep a cat litter box near the area where your cat goes so that it can at least have that option.

Hope it helps! (01/18/2008)

By Ashley

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

I'm going through the same problem and I think that there is really nothing else to do but to bring him to the vet to make sure he is healthy. If he is ill just have to keep training him. But the thing I'm worried about is that my grandmother has a cat too for like 10 years, and even after being operated it still peed in plants and stuff like that, and yes, it's trained and everything. So hopefully my cat isn't going to do the same. (09/14/2008)

By stopanimalabuse

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

I have a little cat, 6 months old. He sometimes doesn't want to use his litter box, so he urinates into the flower pot. What I did, I of course cleaned the flower pot, put fresh soil in it, and covered it with a large garbage bag. On the garbage bag, I sprayed citrus smell, which is actually my body mist. He doesn't like it. He goes into his box now.

My next move will be removing the bag, and just put some orange peel and lemon peel on the soil. I'm sure it will do the job. Hope I was able to help some of you. I actually realized what I did wrong. I usually give him water near his box. Cats won't go near their food or drink, so I confused him with that, and I also bought a mat to put in front of his box, but he doesn't like that either.

So this is where I made mistakes. Don't jump into conclusions, try to think what you did wrong, and fix it. But I agree that everyone with this problem should consult the vet, first make sure your kitty is healthy. (10/11/2008)

By kitty lover

Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

I got my kitten last week from the cat shelter and had been litter trained until yesterday. I noticed her clawing the shower mat, and I popped her in the litter and she scratched around a bit then went back to the mat and peed. She was doing the same thing the day before but my boyfriend showed her by scratching in the litter and then she got the idea, however again today I noticed her scratching the new, clean bath mat (different one altogether, and I mopped the floor under it), and she had already gone on it and was going to go again! The litter box is only literally 2 feet away and she still uses it to pooh in. It's completely confounding me. Any help would be appreciated. (01/15/2009)

By Emma

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.