Labeling Moving Boxes

It is very frustrating to arrive at your new home or apartment and not be able to locate the boxes that you need right away. Labeling the boxes well, as they are packed, can do much to smooth out the move and protect your breakables. This is a guide about labeling moving boxes.

May 19, 2011 Flag

Like a lot of people, I've had my share of house moves over the years. It's never easy, but one thing I found helps make it easier. Go to your dollar/office supply store, and buy a packet of colored stickers; the type used as "price tags". They come in a variety of shapes and sizes - try to get the larger size. Make a list of the rooms in the new house and assign each one a color. If you have more rooms than colors, simply "double up' by making a room "blue + green", "blue + red' etc.

As each box is packed, stick the appropriate sticker on AT LEAST 2 sides and the top of the box. It's also a good idea to stick several of the stickers on the door frame of the new rooms. This way, as the boxes are unloaded they can be put into the correct room (people can't always tell whether B/room means bedroom or bathroom). While it may not encourage anyone to help unpack, at least you won't wear yourself out dragging yourself and the box from room to room.

In case you're wondering why I didn't suggest using colored pens - the color can be affected by the color of the cardboard box and make things more difficult.

By Ann from Pawtucket, RI

Great tip! One I hope never to need, but one I love anyway. Thanks!

I like the color-coding idea. I'll keep it in mind for our next move. On our last move, I numbered the boxes and wrote a summary of items in each box in a notebook. I stood near the back of the moving van and directed the movers which room to put the boxes. Had a box been lost, I knew what was in it from the summary. I was told to not put the name of the room on the box, because movers may think if a box is labeled Dining Room for example, it might contain valuable silver items, etc.

July 15, 2008 Flag

If you are moving long distance using a professional mover, try to make itemized list of what is in the boxes. We lost 9 boxes on our last move and lost money from insurance because we could not tell them exactly what was in each box.

November 3, 2005 Flag
ThriftyFun0 found this helpful

Here are some tips for labeling boxes when you are moving.

Post your ideas below...

To label moving boxes use computer generated labels. Label all 4 sides and the top of each box. This enables you to see where each box needs to go without having to turn the box to see the label.

Organizing MovingFebruary 9, 2012
Alabama Sign
Moving to Alabama
Cigars in a Box
Craft Ideas for Cigar Boxes
Saving Money on Moving Boxes
Saving Money on Moving Boxes
Cigars in a Box
Uses for Cigar Boxes