Protecting Steamer Trunk From Damage

How do I protect the wood/metal/leather on my steamer trunk? I do not wish to restore this but rather keep it from getting further damaged. The leather is ripped and parts are rusted. I don't want to replace anything as I will be using this to store and travel. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rayne from Long Island, New York

The metal parts can be lightly coated with lacquer to keep the rusted look, the wood needs to be oiled, linseed oil acts as a preservative but will slightly darken the wood, if the leather is ripping it dried out and may not be restorable but you can try using neatsfoot oil usually available where they sell shoes and/or sporting goods.

Home and Garden Repair OtherOctober 30, 2008
old trunk
Recovering a Trunk With Vinyl
Antique Steamer Trunk
Determining the Value of an Antique Steamer Trunk
three ornaments
Making Christmas Tree Trunk Ornaments
Old Steamer Trunk
Cleaning and Restoring an Old Trunk