Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

How Much Sleep Should an 11 Year Old Get?

How much sleep does a 11 year old need?

By Krystal from Baltimore, MD

By Louise B. [4]04/19/2011

Teenagers need more than 11 year olds. On average, likely about 9-10 hours. When she moves into her teen years and starts some growth spurts, she will likely need more-11 to 12, and teens are not programed to go to sleep early -- they like to be night owls, so you have to work around that.

By Maryeileen [76]04/18/2011

You could always ask his/her pediatrician.

By Teresa Tart [1]04/18/2011

It depends on each child. Children are different so they can require different amounts of sleep. By the time he/she is 11 you should be able to see how much they need. When he/she gets nine hours how is he during the day? If he/she is fine then that is what it takes. If not then maybe more hours. When my daughter was young she did not need much sleep at all. She was a night owl. My son wanted his sleep.

By Michawn [16]04/17/2011

It depends on your child, let them show you with behavior in the am and during the day. We used to have an 8pm bedtime for my 10 year old, SHE pushed it back to 7:30 and she wakes up at 6:20 in the am, so she is getting roughly 11 hours. But I know when she's not slept well or fooled around and didn't go to sleep on time, as she's crabby the next day. But remember that 11 is getting into those teen years and their hormones are getting wacky, teenagers don't stay up late for nothing, their bodies don't let them sleep till later! Darn it!

By Mike04/15/2011

Between 9-10 hours.

By Joan [13]04/14/2011

From what I hear and read on the news, they recommend at least 10 hours for teen agers, so I would guess an 11 year old should have at least that much.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: How much sleep should an 11 year old get?

I have quite a few pimples and I'm guessing that some of them are from lack of sleep. I'm 11 so if you know how much sleep I should be getting that would help a lot. Thanks!

Archive: How Much Sleep Should an 11 Year Old Get?

May

How much sleep does an 11 year old boy need, who is growing quickly?

By thompson46 from Tynemouth

RE: How Much Sleep Should an 11 Year Old Get?

I would say 9 hours sleep, children need between the age of 10 - 12. (08/12/2010)

By johnny00

All anyone can tell you is what the average child that age needs, everyone is different. When my son was young, and even now, he sleeps very little, much below the average amount. He sleeps very soundly though. When awake, he is bright and refreshed and energetic, never tired. He simply needs less sleep than most. I'd suggest that your child get to sleep when tired and be allowed to sleep until he wakes. At that age, growth spurts require more rest since the body is already stressed. (08/17/2010)

By susanmajp

A 9-year old needs at least 10 hours to function well. (08/17/2010)

By Stngray

Sleep time varies for each child! I would say between 8 and 9 hours. You would need to observe your child, how does he do in the morning when he has had 8 hours of sleep. Also by the time he is 11 he should be able to tell you when he is sleepy and unless he takes a nap everyday or sleeps until 10 or 11 am he will go to bed at a good hour. (08/17/2010)

By Teresa Kay

As a mother of 3 sons, now adults, I can tell you that kids need different amounts of sleep. Judge the amount he needs by what he does on Saturdays and during holidays. And, if he has started to grow, he will need more sleep than he did when he was younger. Teens tend to need more sleep, although they don't often get it, when they get involved in sports and social activities and part time jobs. Off the cuff, I'd say about 10 hours, but I think my boys used to get about 9 on school days. (08/17/2010)

By louel53