How Much Sleep Should an 11 Year Old Get?

How much sleep does a 11 year old need?

By Krystal from Baltimore, MD

Best Answer

Between 9-10 hours.

Best Answer

It depends on each child. Children are different so they can require different amounts of sleep. By the time he/she is 11 you should be able to see how much they need. When he/she gets nine hours how is he during the day? If he/she is fine then that is what it takes. If not then maybe more hours. When my daughter was young she did not need much sleep at all. She was a night owl. My son wanted his sleep.

Best Answer

Teenagers need more than 11 year olds. On average, likely about 9-10 hours. When she moves into her teen years and starts some growth spurts, she will likely need more-11 to 12, and teens are not programed to go to sleep early -- they like to be night owls, so you have to work around that.

From what I hear and read on the news, they recommend at least 10 hours for teen agers, so I would guess an 11 year old should have at least that much.

It depends on your child, let them show you with behavior in the am and during the day. We used to have an 8pm bedtime for my 10 year old, SHE pushed it back to 7:30 and she wakes up at 6:20 in the am, so she is getting roughly 11 hours. But I know when she's not slept well or fooled around and didn't go to sleep on time, as she's crabby the next day. But remember that 11 is getting into those teen years and their hormones are getting wacky, teenagers don't stay up late for nothing, their bodies don't let them sleep till later! Darn it!

You could always ask his/her pediatrician.

A 11 year old boy, asleep in class.
Parenting Grade SchoolerApril 14, 2011
Computer Sleep Mode Button
Getting Computer Out of Sleep Mode
Cats laying on a woman sleeping in bed.
Training a Cat to Not Sleep on Your Head
Iron Framed Bed
Fixing a Squeaky Bed
Man wearing a CPAP machine.
Dealing With Sleep Apnea