How Much Sleep Should an 11 Year Old Get?

How much sleep does a 11 year old need?

By Krystal from Baltimore, MD

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

From what I hear and read on the news, they recommend at least 10 hours for teen agers, so I would guess an 11 year old should have at least that much.

Between 9-10 hours.

It depends on your child, let them show you with behavior in the am and during the day. We used to have an 8pm bedtime for my 10 year old, SHE pushed it back to 7:30 and she wakes up at 6:20 in the am, so she is getting roughly 11 hours. But I know when she's not slept well or fooled around and didn't go to sleep on time, as she's crabby the next day. But remember that 11 is getting into those teen years and their hormones are getting wacky, teenagers don't stay up late for nothing, their bodies don't let them sleep till later! Darn it!

It depends on each child. Children are different so they can require different amounts of sleep. By the time he/she is 11 you should be able to see how much they need. When he/she gets nine hours how is he during the day? If he/she is fine then that is what it takes. If not then maybe more hours. When my daughter was young she did not need much sleep at all. She was a night owl. My son wanted his sleep.

You could always ask his/her pediatrician.

Teenagers need more than 11 year olds. On average, likely about 9-10 hours. When she moves into her teen years and starts some growth spurts, she will likely need more-11 to 12, and teens are not programed to go to sleep early -- they like to be night owls, so you have to work around that.

Answer

How much sleep does an 11 year old boy need, who is growing quickly?

By thompson46 from Tynemouth

Answers:

I would say 9 hours sleep, children need between the age of 10 - 12. (08/12/2010)

By johnny00

All anyone can tell you is what the average child that age needs, everyone is different. When my son was young, and even now, he sleeps very little, much below the average amount. He sleeps very soundly though. When awake, he is bright and refreshed and energetic, never tired. He simply needs less sleep than most. I'd suggest that your child get to sleep when tired and be allowed to sleep until he wakes. At that age, growth spurts require more rest since the body is already stressed. (08/17/2010)

By susanmajp

A 9-year old needs at least 10 hours to function well. (08/17/2010)

By Stngray

Sleep time varies for each child! I would say between 8 and 9 hours. You would need to observe your child, how does he do in the morning when he has had 8 hours of sleep. Also by the time he is 11 he should be able to tell you when he is sleepy and unless he takes a nap everyday or sleeps until 10 or 11 am he will go to bed at a good hour. (08/17/2010)

By Teresa Kay

As a mother of 3 sons, now adults, I can tell you that kids need different amounts of sleep. Judge the amount he needs by what he does on Saturdays and during holidays. And, if he has started to grow, he will need more sleep than he did when he was younger. Teens tend to need more sleep, although they don't often get it, when they get involved in sports and social activities and part time jobs. Off the cuff, I'd say about 10 hours, but I think my boys used to get about 9 on school days. (08/17/2010)

By louel53

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have quite a few pimples and I'm guessing that some of them are from lack of sleep. I'm 11 so if you know how much sleep I should be getting that would help a lot. Thanks!

May

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May

Answers:

How much sleep should an 11 year old get?

If you are feeling tired during the day then add time to your sleeping. Please try to drink a ton of water during the day to help clear those pimples up. Also watch what you eat, more fruit and veggies and less chips and fries. Also keep washing those hands and your face multiple times during the day. (04/05/2005)

By Terry

It's your age, and this is just the beginning. Sleep does help your skin as it rejuvenates and heals. Try eating more raisins. They help in reducing dark acne which causes scarring. Eating vegetables helps your complexion too. (04/05/2005)

By Joanne

Wow, you are obviously a very sensible young lady. You should be getting at least 10 to 12 hours sleep a night. Try and eat healthy meals of steamed or broiled, fish, chicken and vegetables, with plenty of salads of green leafy vegetables. Slow up on burgers and fries and soda.

Wash your face at least twice a day with a gentle non-drying to your skin soap, with a wet warm washcloth. Don't be tempted to pick your spots or squeeze them, and keep your hands away from your face at all times. Think about all the door handles you have touched and the thousands who have touched them before you. Do you want their germs on your face? Wash your hands regularly. Also change your pillowslip regularly as these can get oily. You are going to grow up to be a smart and beautiful woman! (04/05/2005)

By Ang

Every person needs different amounts of sleep. Using some common sense evaluations can help you decide if you're getting enough.

For example, do you wake up easily and cheerfully in the morning, or does it take a blasting alarm clock and several rounds on the snooze button before you crabbily drag yourself out of bed?

Are you energetic all day, or do you "slump" into low-energy I-really-need-a-nap feelings, especially in the afternoon?

Can you concentrate easily, or does your mind feel wooly and unfocused? Do you yawn a lot during the day?

Get a metal spoon and a large metal container (like a baking pan, pie pan, etc.) Settle down in a quiet, comfortable place. Write down the time. Hold the spoon in your hand over the metal container and then settle back and close your eyes. When you fall asleep, the spoon will drop out of your hand into the mental container and make a big clang, hopefully waking you up. When this happens, note the time. The less time it took for you to fall asleep, the more sleep deprived you are. The longer it took, the better rested you are. Less than 2-3 minutes usually means you need more sleep. More than 10 minutes usually means you're doing okay.

If the clanging noise doesn't even wake you up, you're probably extremely short on sleep and the resulting nap will do you good! :-) (Of course, this test won't work if you suffer from things like insomnia, but I'm hoping you're a normal sleeper in general.)

It's wonderful that you recognize the importance of sleep. Not only does it make you look better, it helps you function better too. And there are many studies coming out that say lack of sleep can even increase your risk of things like heart disease. (Yikes!)

Good luck! (04/06/2005)

A really good way to start sleeping better is to have a night time routine. Whatever you need to do to relax, and avoid computers and TV for one hour before, because all that stuff keeps your brain active. Keep your room dark, and use soft music or sounds if that helps (just be considerate of others). Then count your blessings, or sheep, whichever! It may take a week or two to get into the routine, but once you do, you will feel so much better! And avoid soda/caffeine after dinnertime, it stays in your body for 6 hours!

As part of your night routine, wash your face (all that crud gets on your pillow) and maybe use a mask once a week to deep clean and relax. That will help the stress and the breakouts (04/19/2006)

By camo_angels

Some tips for getting to sleep might be to make sure your room is as dark as possible when sleeping. Give yourself time to wind down, maybe reading or writing in a journal. Don't use electronics because they tend to wake you up, and the bright light will confuse your body. If you can't get to sleep regularly, you might try going for a walk after dinner or exercising. Avoid caffeine or sugars late at night.

If you can't get enough sleep at night, you might try taking a nap after you get home from school. When I went away to college, I would nap after classes almost every day. I still nap whenever I get a chance today. (06/21/2007)

By jess

Hi everyone,

I'm a mum of 3 children, the youngest is now 14. They all need very different amounts of sleep and always have, but we all need to rest our bodies and our minds, sleep will come.

My children have always gone to bed reasonably early, a general indicator is round about the time the general TV channels stop showing programs suitable for your age. At this rate your body is going to be rested, even if you can't get to sleep. We don't have TVs in any bedrooms so instead we read or listen to music for a while, I usually go around and turn off all bedroom lights before I go to bed.

Try and get plenty of fresh air and some exercise during the day, a nice walk in the evening is also a good way of winding down before bedtime. Most importantly though, don't worry about sleep as long as you are giving your body rest and it doesn't matter what anyone else is doing as long as you are doing what is right for you.

I'm not sure that lack of sleep, unless you were seriously deprived, would contribute to pimples, some of us get them and some don't. My suggestions for your skin problems are, drink plenty of water, try to avoid greasy food, and don't over wash or cleanse your face, we need some natural body oils. (07/09/2007)

By Mum

I think you should try 1 or 2 more hours sleep for a week, if you feel better, make it permanent. (02/21/2008)

By Jhonni

I'm am 11 too, my mom was a nurse so she knows this stuff. When you're 8-13 years old you should always get 8-10 hours of sleep. I actually fall asleep around 10:30-10:45 on school nights and wake up at 7:15. (which is extremely early according to my school XD) The timing is really good for me because I get approximately 8 hours and 45 minutes of sleep on school nights. Besides days when I have tennis since schools out now, I go to bed whenever I want, normally before 1:00, and then wake up whenever I'm not tired.

Try to get the right amount of sleep each day and eat healthier foods, the right amount of each food group every day. Take showers regularly- every day or every other day if your skin gets really dry. Don't try to pop your pimples unless they're white, as my sister tells me.

Hope I helped,
Shayna (05/24/2008)

By Shayna

Studies say that you should get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a day. Any more or any less you will feel tired and stressed which causes pimples, acne blackheads, etc. (06/11/2008)

By hannah.h

My daughter is 11 and has the exact same problem. However, she gets at least 8 hours of sleep, even on non school days. The pimples could just have to do with puberty. Do try to get more sleep, though. Between 8 - 10 hours is average for a girl your age. (07/25/2008)

I heard a 12 year old should get about 10 hours of sleep. I also heard if you wake up and feel good before it's time to get up, you should go ahead and get up because if you go back to sleep, you will feel worse when you get back up. (08/10/2008)

By bob

Young ladies, you have pimples because of the oil in your pores and hormones. Wash your face at night and in the morning and wait it out. Your skin will chill out when you body starts to! (11/17/2008)

By a mom

11-18 year olds should get 10-12 hours of sleep at night. My mum always taught me to count sheep or lambs, or for boys dragons or cars crossing the finish line. (01/23/2009)

By I cannot sleep

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Parenting Grade SchoolerApril 14, 2011
Computer Sleep Mode Button
Getting Computer Out of Sleep Mode
Cats laying on a woman sleeping in bed.
Training a Cat to Not Sleep on Your Head
Iron Framed Bed
Fixing a Squeaky Bed
Man wearing a CPAP machine.
Dealing With Sleep Apnea
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 9:23:19 AM on 10.0.1.206 in 850 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.