Keeping the Fitted Sheet on the Bed

The elastic on my bottom sheets is not keeping the corners tight and in place. I wake up in the morning and the bedding is undone. Any suggestions to keep the corners tightly held?

Derryl from Ontario, Canada

I always sew a strip of elastic diagonally across the corners of my sheets. If you don't sew or if you sew but don't have a sewing machine these can be held in place by small safety pins. It keeps them in place. I have noticed the new pillow top mattresses don't do well with my old fitted sheets. They are still good so I used elastic to hold them in place rather than toss them.

You can also try old suspenders. Just clip them on each corner. It does take large suspenders to do this, but works great. Look for them at yard sales or thrift stores.

You can get those stretch elastic strips that have clips on the ends of them in a package of 4 at the dollar stores and at walmart. They're used exactly for this purpose, to hold sheets, mattress pads, etc. on the corners underneath the mattress.

I use them on all 3 of my new beds because the depth of the mattress is too deep for the older sheets that I have. I sure can't afford to buy all new sheets and those little sheet clips work like a charm.

I have the same problem. I use garter clips. they are made especially to keep sheets in place.

I already posted my hint but I'll copy it here. To keep your bedding from falling on the floor, and making the bed in the morning a snap, just use sock tape (clear, heavy plasic tape used by hockey players to keep their hockey socks up) on the two bottom corners of the covers. Start the tape on the top and wrap it straight down, lift the corner of the mattress and bring it up the other side to the top. I tape the mattress cover on all 4 corners to keep it snug and then tape the bottom corners of the cover sheet and quilt. In the morning all you have to do is pull your covers up. I have a king size bed so this doesn't interfere with my leg room. On wash day, just peel the old tape and re-tape the clean sheets and blankets. In the past I have saved the waistband off of my boy's underwear if it was in good shape and re-used it for the corners of of my bedding. I'd put the sheets on the bed, pin the stretched elasic to hug the corners tight and take it to the sewing machine for the final stiching. That works okay but I prefer using the sock tape. There is a picture with my original post as well.

How frustrating. Try the clips, they work. Some mattresses need deeper sheets.

I've used those little clip things that come with tensor bandages. They work pretty well

It is my opinion that the whole sheet thing went in the wrong direction from the beginning. While the sheet industry opted for elastic, which only holds the sheet in place for about five minutes, ironing board covers started out using drawstrings. Ironing board covers need to be stable or the ironing does not take place and elastic does not cut it. With sheets I guess the standard was much lower since people were using flat sheets and even the small improvement allowing the avoidance of "hospital corners" was greatly appreciated. Drawstrings would have been a much larger jump in performance for bed sheets. It has been long coming that the obvious use of drawstrings over elastic should have taken place long ago as people all over the internet are posting questions like "How can I get my sheets to stay on?"

The only drawstring sheets available are Comfy Snug drawstring sheets.

Keeping Sheets on the Bed
Keeping Sheets on the Bed
Home and Garden Repair OtherJuly 15, 2008
Fitted Sheet
Making Fitted Sheets
A stack of folded sheets.
Folding Fitted Sheets
Tablecloth
Making a Fitted Tablecloth
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
🎄