Browsing: Preventing and Treating Nosebleeds

Preventing Nosebleeds

If the cold dry air causes you to have nosebleeds, put a little vaseline in each nostril with a cotton swab every day.

By Linda

Here's a warning sent in regarding this tip:

Don't Use Vaseline in Nose

Please do not use the tip "Preventing Nosebleeds". I am a nurse and we are NEVER to do this as it could be taken into the lung causing major problems such as pneumonia. Also, if you are using oxygen, never use an oil based chap stick. Find a water based one instead and this is for the same reason. It could get on the nasal cannula and go to your lungs.

By Mara

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Does that include Vicks rub also if your nose is stuffy? Thank you! :)

My son has always had a problem with nose bleeds. He has even had surgery for this problem. Nothing has helped. We finally found a doctor that helped with this problem. We use "Affrin" nasel spray very spairngly. You can become addicted to this-it can cause havec with your sinusis. We also use something called "Alkalol". It comes in a pint bottle and is very inexpensive. Maybe $3 to $4 dollars a bottle. you pour this into an empty nasel spray bottle. you can use this as often as you like. My son uses "Affrin" for the bad nose bleeds and the "Alkalol" many times a day. This has cut down on his nose bleeds drastically. You can get "Alkalol" from your Pharmasist- they usually keep it behind the counter. Just ask.

GOD Bless

I have used the Vaseline in the nose procedure all my life with no problems. In fact, it was originally recommended by a doctor. You don't pack in a huge gob of it -- you just swirl a Q-tip in Vaseline, then put a thin coating inside the nostril.

The problem for oxygen users with Vaseline, chap stick, etc., isn't that it can get into your lungs. Thr problem is that petroleum based products can burn the skin when exposed to pure oxygen. Putting Vicks or Vaseline in your nose won't hurt the average person, as long as it is a thin coat, not a big glob. If a person requires oxygen therapy, then they need to find products made out of beeswax or water.

husband had to go to doctor because he couldn't get a nosebleed to stop...once they helped him, per the doctor, we bought an over the counter..Polysporin. he uses it daily

I was at the ENT clinic last week and mentioned my nose got dry and sometimes bled and I was told to use vaseline in my nose. That came from the consultant so I'd say it was pretty safe advice.

Ok when I was a kid mom would sit me in a chair with a tissue over my nose and told me to look up at the ceiling for a few minutes and sure enough the bloody nose stopped. We didn't need any meds for that just to be patient and if it continued then a trip to the doctor's office would do the trick.

There are way too many meds out there now that may cure one thing but will mess up something else in your system be careful what you take and always read the side effects and decide.

Preventing and Treating Nosebleeds, Concerned Boy With Bloody Nose
Preventing and Treating Nosebleeds
Front of a wrinkled shirt.
Preventing Wrinkled Clothing
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Man With Fresh Stain on Shirt
Preventing Stains on Clothing
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 8:54:13 AM on 10.0.0.227 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.