Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Tarnish from Stainless Steel Cutlery

I would like to know how to get the bluish "stain" off stainless steel cutlery. It seems to come from the dishwasher.

By Pat

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Louise B. [4]06/05/2010

I don't know how to get the stain off, as the beauty of stainless, is that it doesn't tarnish or stain, however, I know that it will stain if you spill a strong base (like drain cleaner) on it. Anyway, my point is, when you do get it clean, use a different detergent in your dishwasher. I expect it is the detergent that is causing the stain.

By Linda [36]06/05/2010

I put vinegar in my stainless steel cook ware. It takes that "color" away. Test a small spot first!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Tarnish from Stainless Steel Cutlery

I have a stainless steel canteen of cutlery. I don't use it much and it is tarnished. It is from Sheffield in England. Washing alone doesn't work to remove the tarnish. Any ideas?

By Annmarie53

RE: Removing Tarnish from Stainless Steel Cutlery

Right on this website is a post entitled: Polishing Metal: Trash To Treasure (09/28/2009)

By MCW

Put a piece of foil in your sink, plug it, run really hot water, add baking soda and salt. All pieces must touch foil. Test a piece first. Good luck I just did all mine after being in storage 20+ years. 3 batches of stuff and it is gleaming brightly. Good luck. (09/30/2009)

By Ladylynnk

For stainless, there's a product called "Bar Keepers Friend". It's like a cleanser and I use it all the time. Use a cleaning cloth, or something used for Teflon, and put a little of the cleanser on it and rub. It's a great product. Bon Ami will do the same, I just like the Bar Keepers better. (10/01/2009)

By c t