Make Your Own 2% Milk At Home

I do not pay for the store to water down my milk, as in 2% and such. We found that we can do this at home. Buy whole milk and add cold water to it. Since this is a matter of taste, you will have to find what suits your family best. It is a great way to get more bang for the buck, plus my 8 year old who loves dairy does not know I am cutting out some of his milk fats. Also do not forget when you get deals on milk, add them to your freezer. I keep several gallons in the freezer. I dilute when I remove from the freezer and thaw in the fridge.

By Shirley C. from Calumet City, IL

2% and 1% milk is not watered down milk. When I was a kid we would seperat our own milk. The separater had several discus that the milk was spun through. When the milk was spun really fast you ended up with milk with very little or no cream left in it. It looked alsmot blue. That is how 2% and 1% milk is gotten. But your Idea is a good one any way.

sorry ...should have read up on the subject...shirley

Adding water to milk will cut down on the fat, but it also significantly cuts down on the nutritional value of the milk. The only difference between whole milk, 2%, 1%, skim is the fat - none of the other nutrients are changed. By adding water you are diluting the calcium and other nutrients as well.

my boy drinks and eats lots of dairy..for me this is fine...but you are right if it were another family this might affect their nutrients..we fly throught milk in our house...well all dairy products are a rage here..shirley

If you really want 2% milk mix equal parts skim and whole milk. When my children were at home I would make up a gallon of dry milk (sometimes adding just a little extra dry milk granules to the amount of water required) about 1 teaspoon sugar and refrigerate it for 24 hours, give it a good shake and then mix half 'n half with whole milk. There was no dry milk taste and half the fat was eliminated, making for a healthier mixture while retaining all the nutrients. Hope this helps some.

Shirley, I just love the way you post. When others share their knowledge with you, you accept it so graciously and you don't become defensive. I truly enjoyed reading your responses back to the new posts. I learned something today, too. Thanx to all of you :):) Keep posting!!!

Shirley, I can understand this easy mistake. Again, I want to applaud your gracious acceptance of corrective advice.

Maybe you will consider adding powdered milk to your watered down milk to increase the nutritional value.

Good luck

Sorry Shirley, I cannot agree! I am a longtime dairy woman, and I know that although skim milk looks watery, it actually has MORE, MORE concentrated nutrition!! Truth! So cutting milk with water is cheating your boy during brain development? Maybe this would deserve a little further research?

I make my own 2% milk...equal parts whole milk, to only spring water..works great for me and it's healthier.

Why would watering down the milk decrease nutritional value? If you take a gallon of milk and turn it into two by making it half milk/half water, and then you drank both gallons, what is the difference?

If you want to get scientific about it, there are ZERO reasons for drinking another mammals milk at all. A healthy diet doesn't need any dairy.

I just came up with the brilliant idea to dilute my milk too. Basically to save money. Good thing I just googled this, sounds like diluting it makes no sense because you loose the good stuff. So we'll be drinking 1% still.

I'm always looking for any way to cut back these days. My husband thinks I'm crazy. I'm always coming up with crazy ideas.

If there is an Adli's supermarket the milk is very reasonable and taste great. I drink 2% and depending where you live it can be around $2. 39 - $3. 00. Good luck

Shirley, great idea and to be frank, I don't really mind the decrease in "nutrition" because we don't rely on milk for nutrition. We eat a healthy balanced diet and there are foods that are higher in calcium than milk. so not a big deal about watering down. For those who get healthy food and vitamins from everything else they eat, this is a good option. I plan to do this. My family gets more calcium from other things, such as dark leafy greens and kale, kidney beans, raw almonds. Many health foodies or nutritionists know there are many other viable options for calcium and vitamins. I make a fantastic kale slaw that is super delicious and the whole family loves it. Plus we take whole food supplements if it's a concern. When all milk is to us is just an ingredient or addition then there is absolutely nothing wrong with watering it down. Thanks for the idea.

There is a lot of talk about nutrition here. way too much in my opinion. Guys... give the nutritional micromanagement obsession a break please! Just eat healthy and enjoy your milk however you like it. I like to save money so this site helped me decide to buy whole milk and add a little water to help stretch my dollar.

I don't rack my brain worrying about nutritional values. instead I eat healthy and enjoy my slightly watered down milk with cereal, or in healthy recipes, and occasionally in a milk shake. I need my dairy: milk, cheese, ice cream, cheese, sour cream, cheese, yogurt, cheese... all in moderation. oh, and by the way, If you didn't notice, I like cheese! ;-)

This makes absolutely no sense as whole milk is more expensive then 2%.

I have to ask where you shop. I have never, in all the years I have bought milk, seem whole milk more expensive than 1%, 2%, or fat free milk. All of those products go through further processing than whole milk. As a matter of fact, most sales I see are for whole milk by the gallon. Julie

So I question where you live as here in canada I buy whole milk for my son and it costs on average 30-50 cents more per gallon

I live in Pa. and whole milk is the highest in price, 2% a little lower and skim is the cheapest. That is all my local stores including WalMart.

You're joking, right? Whole milk is ALWAYS more expensive than other varieties of milk! Either you have never actually purchased milk or you live in a land of opposite, where whole milk costs less than its counterparts...but I doubt that :)

I live in a fairly small town with a dairy processing plant in it, so all the different milks have always been the exact same price. Around $2 to $2.40 a gallon. Sometimes $1.69 if it's on sale.

Thanks, Shirley! I tend to think way you do. We get our nutrients through a variety of alternatives, so I'm not really concerned about my family losing out on that part. I started diluting when my husband started drinking 3 gallons a week on his own. At $4.00/gallon... lucky for the family I hate milk (but love cheese).

My son is healthy, eats plenty cheeses, yogurts, vegetables, fortified oj, and even likes certain fish. There are plenty of ways to supplement milk, so I don't see why this can't be done.

I agree with most who have posted above. The amount of nutritional value supposedly "lost" is negligible since milk, in and of itself, is not a major source of nutrition. Most people drink some in the morning or put it on cereal and that's it.

The other point is that if you believe for a second that when they remove the fat "cream" from the milk that they somehow magically leave all the valuable nutrients in the final product I have a bridge to sell you. If you buy anything but whole milk you are actually paying for them to make money off of you because they take the "waste" product and sell it as whipping cream or half and half.

I have worked at a dairy processing plant and they do heat the milk and skim it but they DO add water to make 2% or 1% and evem in skim milk. They use tap water and what do you think is in that water that they add?

I add water to whole milk too. I add equal amounts of milk and water. I put that in quart containers and THEN I freeze them. That way we can take one out of the freezer the night before & put it in the refrigerator to defrost. We shake it every now and then as it defrosts & before we use it.

This allows us to buy a gallon when it is on sale & not have it go to waste.

I add water to whole milk, my wife isn't the wiser

I water down whole milk too, have done so off and on for several years. Milk for me goes with cereal, and baked goods; anything savory - water please.

I also think it's slightly odd we're the only mammals who consume milk past infancy, and it isn't our own...

Ever consider that hundreds of years ago, food wasn't as easily sourced or processed for that matter. Milk directly from the cow/goat/camel, was high in fat. Which, would be a life saver when other foods were scarce.

A sweet old lady at church told me this was how she saved money raising her kids years ago. I agree that it does cut the nutritional value down but...milk is not our only nutritional source. I'm trying to provide my family with the absolute best balanced diet for as little money as possible. We honestly don't drink much milk. We don't eat cereals because I make hot healthy meals or smothies with homemade milk kelfir. I do use whole milk in my milk kelfirs and in my homemade yogurts. I also enhance nutritional value in the yogurts by fortifying the milk with powdered. So when there is a gallon of milk in the fridge just for drinking, cooking or adding to oatmeal ect. it's half water / milk taste like 2% I buy 3 gallons whole milk every 2 weeks. 1 for a huge batch of yogurts, 1 for Milk Kelir and 1 to make 2 gallons of the halfed stuff. I mix and then I store on in the freezer for the next week. Been doing this for years.

To gowens1,

You sound like a thrifty women. I have recently started staying home and going from two incomes to one has been an adjustment. I was wandering how you made the yogurt and half and half. If there is one recipe on the internet there is a million. Could you give me some advise. I have provided my email below so we could speak directly. Thanks a bunch. I would also like other suggestions for saving money. Cassey

Of course it's a great idea. Especially when kids do not like to drink water. They are none the wiser and getting plenty of hydration this way. I always enjoyed a cold glass of milk as a child. I think that is part of it. Because it is cold it taste better.

According to the FDA the difference in whole and 2% milk is water. This water may or may not be the natural water that comes from the animals body, that causes the milk to be liquid, but water is water. Whether, you add it or not. I will add, there is only a 1.5% difference in whole milk and 2%.

Can't be watered down because notice how fast the cereal get soft when you add water 

Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyMarch 26, 2008
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
🎄