Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Make Your Own 2% Milk At Home

I do not pay for the store to water down my milk, as in 2% and such. We found that we can do this at home. Buy whole milk and add cold water to it. Since this is a matter of taste, you will have to find what suits your family best. It is a great way to get more bang for the buck, plus my 8 year old who loves dairy does not know I am cutting out some of his milk fats. Also do not forget when you get deals on milk, add them to your freezer. I keep several gallons in the freezer. I dilute when I remove from the freezer and thaw in the fridge.

By Shirley C. from Calumet City, IL

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By DaddySting07/14/2014

I have worked at a dairy processing plant and they do heat the milk and skim it but they DO add water to make 2% or 1% and evem in skim milk. They use tap water and what do you think is in that water that they add?

By mcgyver2k01/29/2014

I agree with most who have posted above. The amount of nutritional value supposedly "lost" is negligible since milk, in and of itself, is not a major source of nutrition. Most people drink some in the morning or put it on cereal and that's it.
The other point is that if you believe for a second that when they remove the fat "cream" from the milk that they somehow magically leave all the valuable nutrients in the final product I have a bridge to sell you. If you buy anything but whole milk you are actually paying for them to make money off of you because they take the "waste" product and sell it as whipping cream or half and half.

By Christine0001/22/2014

Thanks, Shirley! I tend to think way you do. We get our nutrients through a variety of alternatives, so I'm not really concerned about my family losing out on that part. I started diluting when my husband started drinking 3 gallons a week on his own. At $4.00/gallon... lucky for the family I hate milk (but love cheese).

My son is healthy, eats plenty cheeses, yogurts, vegetables, fortified oj, and even likes certain fish. There are plenty of ways to supplement milk, so I don't see why this can't be done.

By Kimiko L.10/19/2013

This makes absolutely no sense as whole milk is more expensive then 2%.

By Tommy C.08/20/2013

There is a lot of talk about nutrition here. way too much in my opinion. Guys... give the nutritional micromanagement obsession a break please! Just eat healthy and enjoy your milk however you like it. I like to save money so this site helped me decide to buy whole milk and add a little water to help stretch my dollar.

I don't rack my brain worrying about nutritional values. instead I eat healthy and enjoy my slightly watered down milk with cereal, or in healthy recipes, and occasionally in a milk shake. I need my dairy: milk, cheese, ice cream, cheese, sour cream, cheese, yogurt, cheese... all in moderation. oh, and by the way, If you didn't notice, I like cheese! ;-)

By anna12/28/2010

Shirley, great idea and to be frank, I don't really mind the decrease in "nutrition" because we don't rely on milk for nutrition. We eat a healthy balanced diet and there are foods that are higher in calcium than milk. so not a big deal about watering down. For those who get healthy food and vitamins from everything else they eat, this is a good option. I plan to do this. My family gets more calcium from other things, such as dark leafy greens and kale, kidney beans, raw almonds. Many health foodies or nutritionists know there are many other viable options for calcium and vitamins. I make a fantastic kale slaw that is super delicious and the whole family loves it. Plus we take whole food supplements if it's a concern. When all milk is to us is just an ingredient or addition then there is absolutely nothing wrong with watering it down. Thanks for the idea.

By Delores (Guest Post)08/14/2008

I just came up with the brilliant idea to dilute my milk too. Basically to save money. Good thing I just googled this, sounds like diluting it makes no sense because you loose the good stuff. So we'll be drinking 1% still.

I'm always looking for any way to cut back these days. My husband thinks I'm crazy. I'm always coming up with crazy ideas.

By Loretta (Guest Post)04/22/2008

Why would watering down the milk decrease nutritional value? If you take a gallon of milk and turn it into two by making it half milk/half water, and then you drank both gallons, what is the difference?
If you want to get scientific about it, there are ZERO reasons for drinking another mammals milk at all. A healthy diet doesn't need any dairy.

By Kim Churchman [3]03/27/2008

Sorry Shirley, I cannot agree! I am a longtime dairy woman, and I know that although skim milk looks watery, it actually has MORE, MORE concentrated nutrition!! Truth! So cutting milk with water is cheating your boy during brain development? Maybe this would deserve a little further research?

By Carol Swanson [17]03/27/2008

Maybe you will consider adding powdered milk to your watered down milk to increase the nutritional value.

Good luck

By Barb03/27/2008

Shirley, I can understand this easy mistake. Again, I want to applaud your gracious acceptance of corrective advice.

By SL Edens [1]03/27/2008

Shirley, I just love the way you post. When others share their knowledge with you, you accept it so graciously and you don't become defensive. I truly enjoyed reading your responses back to the new posts. I learned something today, too. Thanx to all of you :):) Keep posting!!!

By jsham (Guest Post)03/26/2008

If you really want 2% milk mix equal parts skim and whole milk. When my children were at home I would make up a gallon of dry milk (sometimes adding just a little extra dry milk granules to the amount of water required) about 1 teaspoon sugar and refrigerate it for 24 hours, give it a good shake and then mix half 'n half with whole milk. There was no dry milk taste and half the fat was eliminated, making for a healthier mixture while retaining all the nutrients. Hope this helps some.

By shirley [2]03/26/2008

my boy drinks and eats lots of dairy..for me this is fine...but you are right if it were another family this might affect their nutrients..we fly throught milk in our house...well all dairy products are a rage here..shirley

By Karla03/26/2008

Adding water to milk will cut down on the fat, but it also significantly cuts down on the nutritional value of the milk. The only difference between whole milk, 2%, 1%, skim is the fat - none of the other nutrients are changed. By adding water you are diluting the calcium and other nutrients as well.

By shirley c (Guest Post)03/26/2008

sorry ...should have read up on the subject...shirley

By Sharon [9]03/26/2008

2% and 1% milk is not watered down milk. When I was a kid we would seperat our own milk. The separater had several discus that the milk was spun through. When the milk was spun really fast you ended up with milk with very little or no cream left in it. It looked alsmot blue. That is how 2% and 1% milk is gotten. But your Idea is a good one any way.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.