Pit Bull Puppy Chews on Everything

My Pit Bull puppy is good most of the time, but he likes to destroy things. I try to get him out the habit, but it doesn't work. What do I do?

By Nacole from Seattle, WA

All puppies chew ... it's like a baby teething. I mean NO disrespect, but have you given him something like a rawhide bone? I just recently heard of someone that hadn't done that for their pup and was surprised at their pup's chewing. Just do NOT ever give them something of yours to chew! That signals that what smells like you is okay to gnosh on! Good luck!

The operational word is puppy. It does pass, but put up anything you might be upset about being chewed, such as legs of a nice coffee table.

Get large bone now and then, roast it and then give it to him for 1-2 days. They do get nasty. Rawhide chews helped our lab/b.collie mix.

Your "puppy" is teething. Make sure he/she has some chew toys and gets plenty of exercise.

April 23, 2010 Flag

I have a 9 month old Red Nose Pitbull, but he is also mixed with German Shepherd. He is always chewing things up, mainly wood. I try and put hot sauce, water, and vinegar, and peanut butter on things to get him to stop, but he is loving all of them.

Someone did tell me to try sour apple sauce or to try a muzzle. The person said to put it on him when he chews on something or to put it on him when he is in his kennel when I am gone. I just didn't know if anyone has tried that or if they think that will or will not work?

My mom said if he chews up one more thing he is gone. I adopted him, he was a stray at 3 months and I got him when he was 8 months. I really would appreciate any help someone has to offer.

By Brittany

Pit Bull Puppy Chews on Everything

I would get a Kong toy at the pet store and stuff it with peanut butter and give it to him. Give him toys to play with and also keep him distracted. Here are some articles from leerburg.com. Hope they help, some dogs are just not good matches, where another dog might be the perfect match.

Leerburg.com is a great site, full of dog training articles, free articles, ebooks, and podcasts.
Here is what I found there: leerburg.com

Also it would be wise to put it in a wire crate when you are not around, so it cannot get to the wood. Putting things on the wood is not going to help deter the dog, but redirecting it will. This will take a lot of watching the dog, and giving it toys and treats and such and keeping your eye on it all the time. When you are not home or are not able to watch the pup, then put it in a wire crate. There are videos on leerburg.com about crate training that are free.

Again, don't feel too bad if you have to get another dog, sometimes behavior problems are hard to correct if they are really entrenched in the animal. Blessings.

By Robyn Fed

Pit Bull Puppy Chews on Everything

It's a puppy in the midst of teething; probably doesn't have too much longer to go, until molars. Go to butcher and get a huge beef knuckle, roast it in oven an hour at 350 F, let cool, cut off any fatty meat she shouldn't have and give it to her. Lots of challenge for a pup in a big bone. It will be good for several days until you can't stand the look of it anymore.

Also give her one of family's old shoes in cage only. Keep it in cage. Keep all other shoes up out of her reach. I wouldn't give her a piece of wood because of splinters, but rabbits are sometimes given a 4 x 4 piece which has been soaked in salt water to wear down their teeth. So animals need to wear on something. I'll bet she needs harder than normal chew toys to work on, maybe something really hard rubber and smear it with a little meat juice from a hamburger or roast, just to keep her interest until she considers it her toy.

A word of caution on other bones. Bones that show the porous side get chewed quickly and produce very disgusting poop the next day, a lot, that's why the knuckle type is better. Harder for them to get a grip, but keeps them entertained.

You might Google and see if there's a teething gel for dogs, but the more she chews on something, the sooner her teeth will break through. She's trying to make that happen.

It's not a choice between one puppy and another, for the most part, it's a choice between puppy or no puppy. The only way to have a dog who doesn't chew is get one already grown, but then you miss the puppy part of their life. Pups teeth just like kids, only their teeth are much more impressive. (12/17/2009)

Pit Bull Puppy Chews on Everything

Like everyone has said, it's still a puppy and they are going to chew on things. Most dogs like peanut butter, so putting things on the wood might actually have been inviting your puppy to chew on it.
I have 2 Pits that I had since one was 3 months and the other 6 weeks and the period that this occurred for wasn't too long and a year later, I'm happy I was able to get through it.

I was against kenneling them, but after I got over it, our relationship got better. I have learned that my oldest is better at staying out when I'm not home and the youngest must be kenneled, but this is something that you have to learn about your pup.

Try giving him a plastic bottle after your done drinking it, try putting a few treats in the bottle to keep them entertained. I hope that you and your mom can overcome this, and learn to love your pup. (12/17/2009)

By yessy1019

Pit Bull Puppy Chews on Everything

I wouldn't put a muzzle on and then leave him, he might get frantic and hurt himself. Best of luck for all of you. (12/20/2009)

By jehosophat jones

Pit Bull Puppy Chews on Everything

The dog needs a whole lot more exercise. This is pent up energy. Caesar says so. As for chewing, get raw bones. Cooked bones are the splintery ones so always do raw. Peanut butter in a Kong is good. Raw diet is good. Vaccines are not. Read vaclib.org and you will see what vaccines are made of and the dangers of these poisons. (12/20/2009)

By muttmom

Pit Bull Puppy Chews on Everything

Please crate the pup when you are not home, no muzzle in the crate. Give him a Kong toy to play with and several Nyla bones. They are what he needs to chew on. They are made for this kind of dog with massive jaw power. They do not splinter and it is good for them to chew on. I always had about 5 to 8 Nyla bones down for or Red Nose Pit all the time, his whole life. He always chewed on them. He would put one down and pick up another.

Please check out Ceaser Milan and how to train yourself to be with your pup. All of you will be happier, you, the pup, and Mom. Good luck. (12/20/2009)

By caraing

December 16, 2009 Flag

I have a 9 month old pit bull mix who is on the verge of being homeless. She chews my metal yard lights, dog blanket, lattice of my garden, wood on the corner of my house, you name it.

Puppy Chewing on Boot
Preventing Puppies From Chewing
Pets Dogs Training AdviceApril 23, 2010
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
A dog in a crate
Dealing With a Dog That Chews
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Puppy in Crate
Puppy Poops in Crate