RecipesFood and Recipes

Sauce for Perogies

I am looking for a recipe for a sauce for perogies.

By Heleen from Fredericktown, PA

My mother is Polish and she never served pierogi with a sauce. Some melted butter and perhaps some sauteed onion is the typical presentation. But if this doesn't appeal to you, anything goes.

Perogies Alfredo:

-Half a pint of light cream

-7 to 10 perogies (based on how many you will eat)

-4 strips of bacon cut into small pieces

-3 green onions (scallions) chopped into small pieces

-Small wedge of an onion chopped into small pieces (about as much as the green onions)

Saute both types of onions and bacon in a pan. When crispy, add light cream and turn heat down to simmer. Stir occasionally until cream begins to thicken.

Microwave perigees until warm (not all the way cooked because they will simmer in cream). Add perogies to cream and drizzle cream over them until sauce is thick enough that there isn't any to drizzle.

Enjoy! This recipe is amazingly good! Good luck.

I've tasted many different ways of serving them, but the best I've come up and that earns me compliments is my own 'invention'. Fry chopped up onion while the perogies are cooking. Drain the perogies when they're done and put into the fry pan that has the fried onions. Let simmer slowly for a few minutes so the perogies can pick up the onion taste, turning occassionally. Add a good size dollop of spagetti sauce (your own or from a jar), just enough to give a bit of a tomato taste and a nice color. Add a few tablespoons of sour cream and let everything blend. The total frypan time shouldn't be longer than 5 minutes total or the perogies go mushy. Serve immediately. Ummm...

I'm with OliveOyl on this. The only way I have ever had pierogies (either made at home or from a restaurant) has been with onions fried in melted butter. My husband even eats the sweet cottage cheese pierogies this way.

Anonymous

I use canned clam sauce over cheese filled pierogies!!! just great!!