AdviceCrafts

Pattern for PVC Pipe People

I'm looking for patterns to make PVC people. Can you help? Also I've only got the good use of one hand.

Thanks.

Mower man

By Dave

Answers

I'm guessing that you want a pattern for armature or PVC "bones". The first thing I'd buy is a pipe cutter, one handed type, usually white and requires a bit of strength to close them like pliers. Use your body as a guide for pipe length. Start with the neck in a T, then add 2 small pieces of PVC for the collar bones. Next add T's on both of these to allow for arm attachment and chest outline. Add a 1" long piece of PVC to each T then a 90 degree piece to each of these for the arms. Elbows are 45 degree then cut the forearms a little short to add a connector and a hand based on about 3" of pvc. The chest section goes down to the hip area with another set of t's and a cross piece between the T's. The legs (totally straight) are cut to the length of your own and will be held up by two pieces of 2' rebar pounded into the ground. To add shoes, drill a 1 1/4" hole through the heel of a pair and add them to the rebar before adding your person.

Hands are made by cutting the 3" piece of pvc in half lengthwise, all but the last inch, so as to fit into the wrist. On the opposite end, Drill four holes for the finger attachment and then one hole for the thumb about an inch down the pipe. From there, fingers are pieces of stick pen barrels cut to mimic your digits and strung on pipe cleaners. You can flesh this out with paper mache or crack filling foam.

To fill out your armature, use chicken wire and batting. Dress your people using wig heads, wigs, and whatever clothing you desire.

I am looking for a pattern to make people out of PVC pipes.

By burmie from Fremont, OH

Answers:

Pattern for PVC Pipe People

I couldn't find plans, but there is a photo of a PVC scarecrow at: http://www.pvcworkshop.com/YardGardenProjects.htm.

It looks like simple PVC construction with glued joints. (07/09/2009)

By Kephirra