Removing Urine Stains on Tile Floor

I would like to know how to remove pet urine stains and smells on tile floors without taking up the old floors and having them redone.

By Lanissa from Gulfport, MS

Best Answer

Hello, I have found that urine is a tough one to remove because if the animal can still smell just a little bit of it they tend to go back to the same spot again. There are several expensive ways to go such as Zero Odor and then some slightly less expensive products made by Arm and Hammer that I do endorse as working pretty good. I use some of the Arm and Hammer products myself and at times I have used a little bit of Clorox and water or pine-sol and water and I have not had any fading as of yet but I do stress little bit on the Clorox.

I started using the bleach tablets that you drop in a gallon of warm water as a disinfectant and I have to say that I am impressed. They work great and I even got some on my shirt one day and took it off quickly and rinsed it out and it didn't even fade my shirt & believe me I have done that many times in the past trying to use the bleach in the bottle.

One other really great idea for the urine odor that works great if you can do it, is to keep the door closed or if its not a cat you can put up a child's gate to the room for about a month or so and I know that this sounds like a lot o trouble but believe me it really does work. It gives the floor time to rid itself of the scent. When I first read that one, I thought it was nuts, but it actually turned out to be one of the best ideas for urine problem areas. Good luck.

Best Answer

Try soaking a rag in white vinegar, and putting it on the stains to soak for several hours or overnight, rewetting the rag if needed. Then wipe clean. This has worked for me. Apparently acetic acid is stronger than uric acid. Kaboom bathroom cleaner( the one that turns from blue to white when the surface is clean) also seems to work well on cereamic tile around the toilet.

April 16, 2010 Flag

How do I remove urine stains from ceramic tile?

By thecaz57

Answers:

Removing Urine Stains on Tile Floor

Use the "Pee Recipe" (adjust ingredient amounts to your needs):

As with any product that you would put on your carpet, flooring, or furniture, please test for colorfastness. To test for colorfastness, mix a small amount of the solution and place on a hidden area of your carpet. Wait 24 hours or until carpet is dry before proceeding to full treatment.

We recommend extreme caution when treating fine fabrics and upholstery. You must be extra careful in checking for colorfastness. Do not skip this step, thinking, "Oh, I'm sure it will be fine." It may not. You must test a hidden area and wait 24 hours before proceeding to a full treatment.

Odor Remover

• 16 oz. (2 cups) hydrogen peroxide
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 small drops liquid dishwashing soap (Dawn, Palmolive, etc.)

Place all ingredients in a glass jar or bowl. Gently stir do not beat or shake, until baking soda is dissolved. If urine is fresh, be sure to blot up any excess urine with dry paper towels or a dry washcloth before the next step.

Pour mixture over urine spot, making sure to cover the entire spot. Allow mixture to completely soak the area being treated. Do not rub or scrub. Let sit for 24 hours without disturbing. After 24 hours, take clean paper towels or a clean, white washcloth and blot up any remaining liquid. Again, do not rub or scrub. Allow area to air dry completely. If you are treating carpet, you can vacuum over the area when dry.

Makes 16 oz. (2 cups) of solution.

Tips:

• The solution is most active for one hour after mixing. Be sure to apply the solution within this time period for maximum effectiveness.
  • Do not enclose the mixture in an airtight container, or you could have a big mess on your hands. The reason for this is because when the ingredients are combined they release oxygen (Remember making "volcanoes" out of baking soda and vinegar when you were a little kid? Similar principle here.).
  • Two alternate methods of applying the solution are using a spray bottle or a garden watering can. A spray bottle works best for applying the solution to hard surfaces like concrete or linoleum, or to vertical surfaces like walls or shower tile. This is not the best method for carpet. Just be sure to thoroughly spray the area you are treating. A garden watering can is best for medium to large areas, indoors or outdoors.
  • For really tough odors, you may have to treat the area more than once. Carpet, furniture, and mattresses typically require 1-2 treatments. Concrete, wood, tile, and other hard surfaces usually need 3-5 treatments (1 treatment per day).
  • For concrete and other hard surfaces, you want to make enough of the recipe to completely cover the stain. Pour or spray the solution on and let it soak. Do not mop or wipe up. Let it sit for 24 hours (depending on the humidity level, it will usually evaporate during this time). Repeat the treatment once a day for 3-5 days.

• For mattresses, the best thing to do is to make a double, triple, or even quadruple batch of the recipe, enough to completely cover the stain and then really pour it on. Don't be afraid of saturating the mattress. The urine has gone deep into the mattress, so you need to make sure that there's enough solution to go deep into the mattress as well. The solution has to reach the urine to neutralize it. We recommend treating the mattress in the morning so that the solution can work through the day. The mattress will often be dry enough for use by bedtime. (03/12/2010)

By ahastings7878

March 9, 2010 Flag

How do I get urine stains off tile floors in bathroom?

Don from Youngstown, OH

Answers:

Removing Urine Stains on Tile Floor

I use "The Works" tub and shower cleaner on everything especially hard to get out stains. Try it, it is sold at the dollar store, too. They even have a toilet bowl cleaner. Never ever mix with other cleaners, it has a phosphoric acid in it. Works on everything even laundry hard stains. (12/03/2007)

By KimmyLynn

Removing Urine Stains on Tile Floor

Make sure that what ever you use, that you scrub it well with a brush (tooth brush) to get down into the surrounding area around the stain too. (12/05/2007)

By Paula Jo from Mebane, NC

cat on a tile floor
Cleaning Pet Urine Stains and Odors From a Tile Floor
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsApril 16, 2010
Installing Vinyl Tile Over Old Linoleum Tile
Cleaning Tile Floors, Textured blue floor tile.
Cleaning Textured Flooring
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
🎉
🎄