Severe Itching Caused by Okra Plants

By kay 36 2

Every year I have my vegetable garden and I always plant Okra, which I love. When I get around the plant and start picking, I start itching like I have gotten into poison ivy. I use long rubber gloves for my hands and part of my arms, but my neck, face and the rest of my body itches so bad that I can't wait to take a shower and lotion down. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Kay from Clyde,TX

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Sorry, I have this problem too. I wear long sleeves and rubber gloves (a real treat when it is 95 degrees). The more you can cover up the better. Then jump in the shower when you are done picking, if possible.

I hope someone else can offer a better solution than mine for you!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Beth 5 131 Flag

It seems like the itching would be caused by the little hairs all over the plants... Could you try hosing them down to wash off the loose hairs? The water might also keep the remaining hairs from coming off so easily and keep them from flying up in the air and landing on you while you pick. That, and using rubber work gloves might help. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I would try to find someone to pick for me. Perhaps if you offered them some veggies in return? Then hose them down before bringing them in. Worth a try. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I think I'd buy it at the farmers market!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

This is very common with okra harvesting! The okra stings and makes my hands itch when preparing it for cooking. I love it, so I don't let it bother me too much.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Denise 6 115 Flag

I don't know about okra, but I discovered this summer that Virginia creeper does it to me. I Googled "poison ivy" and learned that Virginia creeper does affect some people this way. It's a vining plant that has 5 leaves instead of poison ivy's 3. Just sending this in as an informational warning to others!

Cantate

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have the same problem. I cover up as much as possible (as stated),then harvested with a very sharp knife in one hand while trying not to come in contact with the plant at all...letting the okra drop to the ground and gathering them up after I'd cut all I wanted. I didn't itch unless I touched the leaves...so wash up as soon as you get in the house and avoid touching your face before you wash.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Go to your local hardware shop and see if you can buy an extension pruner. It is on a long telescopic handle, with a gripper next to the blade so that what you cut does not fall down. Might take a bit of practice to get used to.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

The best thing to do is to pick it when it is cool outside, like early in the morning.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Okra Plant with Blue Sky in Background
Growing Okra
Previous
Home and Garden Gardening MiscellaneousAugust 30, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
fried okra
Cooking Okra
Pickled Okra
Pickled Okra Recipes
Small isolated okra with more in the background.
Freezing Okra
Okra Plant with Blue Sky in Background
Growing Okra
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 7:57:44 AM on 10.0.2.72 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings