Uses For Chicken Stock

How else can I make use of chicken stock other than the obvious, chicken soup? Many thanks!

Paula from Niagara Falls, Ontario

Here's a favorite recipe of mine that uses chicken broth (but of course you can substitute stock). It comes from http://www.allrecipes.com.

I add a can of diced green chilies for an extra kick.

Turkey Bowtie Skillet

INGREDIENTS

1/2 pound ground turkey breast

1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil

3/4 cup chopped celery

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped green pepper

1 garlic clove, minced

1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth

2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta

1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes

1 tablespoon vinegar

3/4 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (optional)

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS

In a large skillet or Dutch oven, brown turkey in oil.

Add celery, onion, green pepper and garlic; cook until vegetables are tender. Remove the turkey and vegetables with a slotted spoon and keep warm.

Add broth to the pan; bring to a boil. Add pasta; cook for 10 minutes or until tender.

Reduce heat; stir in the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, chili powder, garlic salt if desired and turkey mixture. Simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.

I use it to cook rice in when I'm having chicken for dinner. It's also good to cook potatoes for mashed potatoes. I make very good chicken pot pie and use it for that. I also have a recipe for a chicken & rice casserole that uses it.

Actually chicken stock can be used in place of water for most savoury recipes. I poach fish in stock, cook veggies in stock and I've even been known to use it to make whipped potatoes instead of milk or cream. It's very versatile in casseroles etc too.

I use chicken stock or broth to simmer chicken breast. I use a quart of stock, 3 raw garlic cloves, several tablespoons of fresh thyme. Bring to a simmer add boneless, skinless chicken breast and cook at the simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool in the stock. I store this in the refrigerator in the stock. It is always ready for a sandwich or chicken salad or added to pasta. Cooked at the simmer, this is always juicy and very tasty.

The stock can be used for gravy or to cook other vegetables or even add to potatoes that are going to be mashed.

I always use it instead of water to cook pastina. Just use enough so that the pastina completely absorbs the chicken stock. It's much tastier, especially when a little garlic and good quality olive oil is added before you serve it. My grandkids love it for a snack.

I like to freeze my homemade chicken stock in ice cube trays and then drop a cube or two in when making rice or any sauces. Way better than plain water.

Definitely when cooking rice, either use the entire quantity asked for or dilute 1/2 stock, 1/2 water. This also works for any stocks, vegetable, beef, seafood.

Also try chicken stock with boiled potatoes that will mashed; add just enough that will be absorbed by the potatoes. Then proceed to mash with less butter.

Brussels sprouts/asparagus steamed in chicken stock are delicious. A little imagination and your family meals are kicked up a notch

I frequently use chicken stock with pasta dishes. Saute thin slices of chicken breast along with onions, garlic, spinach, and mushrooms. Next add chicken broth and cooked penne or bowtie pasta and let the chicken broth and other flavors blend. Thicken with corn starch dissolved in water for a sauce or add heavy cream or sour cream to make a creamy sauce. Experiment with other vegetables like broccoli or try any variety of pasta you prefer. A little chicken stock also improves the flavor of red sauce for pasta.

I'm a fan of risotto. It's basically frying rice slightly, then adding hot stock by the cupful, stirring well after each cup, until the rice has absorbed it. Stir in a dash of cream, and you have a basic riosotto. Add Parmesan, chicken pieces, corn - whatever takes your fancy! Yummy!

I put mine in the fridge first to let the grease come to the top, take the fat off and dump the broth into a freezer bag and save them until I do a turkey, I use the broth in my stuffing, WOW does it make a difference over store bought broth.

Cook your vegetables in it. Add a little to gravy. I keep chicken stock frozen for whenever I am cooking and need to boost the flavor of the meal.

Chicken Stock is great to have on hand for alot of things. Like people said before making rice, freezing and add to soups and to give for your dog a nice cold treat, making mashing potatoes,pouring over your turkey to give extra flavoring,when making stuffing add chicken stock to keep it moist to adding to chicken and making soup with even with boneless and skinless chicken add great flavor to alot to things. I like to keep a couple of cans on hand.

I use chicken stock instead of water when I boil rice. I also use it to mash my potatoes. Broth is less fattening than milk.

February 27, 2008 Flag

When a soup, casserole or sauce recipe calls for water, I substitute chicken broth instead because it really enhances the flavor much more than water. You can be frugal with this idea by easily making your own.

Take a roaster carcass from a turkey, whole chicken, or 2-3 pounds of chicken wings. Place in a crockpot, cover with water, add a couple of cut up carrots, a stalk or two of celery, salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low for 7- 8 hours. Let cool, drain liquid through a colander, pick out any meat for later use. Place in fridge overnight and fat can easily be removed in the morning. Place cupfuls in ziploc freezer bags or ice cube trays. Freeze until needed.

Taste the difference it makes! The little bit of effort is worth it!

By Debbie from Fisher, IL

Yes , I do this as well! It is another way to get the nutrients into the family ,esp. from the veggies in the broth, that otherwise might be missed.

We do this with vegetable broth when making rice.

chicken tomato risotto
Recipes Using Chicken Stock
Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceAugust 5, 2008
A pot of homemade bean with bacon soup
Making Homemade Soup and Stock
Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
Chicken A' La King Recipes
chicken noodle soup
Making Chicken Stock
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
🎄