Seborrhea Advice

My golden retreiver, Sam, is the stinkiest dog in the world. He has horrible black skin under his armpits and in his groin area. He is also prone to ear infections. I read that the skin thing may be some kind of seborrhea and I would love to know if anyone knows how I can treat this. Thanks.

Pam from Hamilton, OH

My dog had that problem some years ago. Finally a vet tested his thyroid. The skin( and smell ) problems were due to a problem with his thyroid. He is on medication for this now and is fine.

ShirleyO from Cincinnati

My dog is a golden and had the same thing, I went to the vet many times and got medicine and it would clear up and would come back. Until one time a different doctor at my vet told me he may have food allergies and to change the food. It worked

he is eating California Naturals a dry food, and as a treat I give him Wellness wet food and make my own treats as the additives in commerical treats effect him too.

My golden also has this problem. We have tried the thyroid, cortisone, special shampoos, and changing food but he is still not well. i read on the internet that it could be a systemic yeast infection. what would be the treatment for this? any ideas on this?

Sounds like a yeast infection. My Shadow had/has the same thing. He takes an antibiotic to clear it up. The ears have cleared up but the skin in between his legs is still red with mottled black areas. He will start on his second round of antibiotices today.

I have decided to try an antifungal but I'm not sure how to do it. I'm also going to give him Brewer's Yeast tabs (with garlic from the pet store) and maybe some Acidophilous too. If I have any results I'll let you know.

Make sure to only try one new thing at a time. If he reacts or responds to something you will know what it is and won't have to guess.

Anyone who's vet is treating your dogs yeast infection by giving them antibiotic is like trying to put out a fire with gasoline! Do your own research and find out for yourself. give probiotic's w/ acidophilus and yogurt w/ acidophilus. Next get your dog off commercial dog food and on a raw diet.

Start making the dog food yourself. Next give them a bath with baking soda & epsom salt and toss a little probiotic with acidophilus in the water. Next get a bottle of mix 1/2 apple cider vinegar w/ H20 and spay all the time. For the real bad areas use Vetericyn Wound & Skin Care.

I've given this advice to many and they all got well. Now why isn't the vet telling us? (no comment). So now you know. Good luck. My Shih tzu was almost killed twice with the drugs that the different vets were giving her and I did my own research and now she is good as new. Good luck my friends with your precious pets & god bless.

Pets Dogs HealthApril 28, 2007
Master gardener in a greenhouse.
Get Gardening Advice From a Master Gardener
Bathroom Tiles
Bathroom Tile Color Advice
A business suit with a white shirt and red tie.
Saving Money on Men's Suits
Frugal Living Advice
Frugal Living Advice
🎉
🎄