Nviro Potter For Seeds

I discovered a nifty tool for starting my seeds. It uses newspaper and is a wooden form that you wrap and tuck the paper around. It is called "The NviroPotte" and is made by a family business in Eastern Canada. The lovely thing is it uses Newspaper! They have a website.

Cheers and happy potting!

By Roz from Victoria BC

I was given one of these without instructions but I haven't been able to work out how to make the paper take on the shape of the form and stay that way.

There must be a special way of folding or something! It seems such a good idea I would like to give it a try.

If anyone can describe the right way of doing it, I would be grateful!

We have these in two sizes, and my husband prefers them over soil block makers now. I will try to get the instructions from him. I know you cut a single sheet of newspaper (no glossy inserts) that will go around the pestle part with an inch or two of overlap. It should extend from a half inch above the shoulder to about an inch and a half below the pestle bottom. Wrap the paper around the pestle and twist the bottom a little bit. Fold the part that extends beyond the shoulder down and overlap it so the loose ends won't come apart. Then firmly press it into the mortar part. Remove carefully. From there on it's just like any pot. Add soil mix and seeds. We put them in a lug box, the bottom lined with lots of black and white newspaper, and shoulder to shoulder. You can plant pot and all, even if you make them double thickness. They're fun to make, especially for us thriftyfunners!

I've been making these for years using food cans. My favorite size is a tiny (6 ounce) tomato paste can for seedlings, but you can use slightly larger cans too. I just press the paper covered can onto my table to fold the bottom closed -- works just fine. I think someone just came up with a way to make money from something that has been widely done. Oh well, it works great.

I'm thrilled to see the N.ViroPotter talked about here. To anyone who owns a nvp roller who needs directions, please contact me at aie AT nviropotter.com.

Home and Garden Gardening SeedsMay 1, 2007
boy in the forest
Planning a Harry Potter Themed Birthday Party
Photo of Professor Snape from Harry Potter.
Making a Professor Snape Costume
Sowing seeds directly.
Direct Sowing Seeds
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Harry Potter Costume