Does Pine Straw Attract Ticks? - Categories:

TicksPest Control

Does Pine Straw Attract Ticks?

Someone told me that pine straw attracts ticks. Does anyone know if that is true? I have tons of pine straw in the yard that I thought about putting around bushes and flowers. If it's going to attract ticks maybe I need to find something else. I was going to use it to save money but it sounds like I'd be spending that money on an exterminator instead.

Lisa from Raleigh, NC

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I put pine straw around my azaleas one year and when I went to work around them in the spring, I dug up a bed of baby snakes. I don't know about the ticks, but believe me, I never put pine straw around anything again. Also, yellow jackets will burrow underground under pine straw.

We used to live in an area with many pine trees, pine straw. Our 2 corgis would run outside in the yard and everyday, every time we came in I had to check them for ticks, and always had to pick some off. It was awful. I will not have pine trees in my yard now at all.

I use it around my flower beds with no problems, but we don't really have a tick problem in our yard. Out in the country, they may like to nest in it. I've never had a snake problem with it either. It looks neat, decomposes slowly, and acid loving plants sure like the stuff!

I think so. My neighborhood has a lot of pine trees and when my dog walks under a pine tree he usually ends up with a tick on him no matter what season it is. Gary Dominicus

Home and Garden Pest Control TicksSeptember 25, 2007
Pine needle bunches tied with fabric.
Crafts Using Pine Needles
Pine Cones
Getting Seeds From Pine Cones
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 9:45:57 AM on 10.0.0.160 in 770 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.