Golden Retriever Chasing Tail And Eating Fur

Why does my 1 year old golden retriever chase his tail and then pull out the fur and eat it? He has also started pulling the long hair off his front legs and eating it. He does not have an allergy he eats everything he can? How can I get him to stop?

Michele from Caledonia, Ont.

I have worked in vet hospitals and to me it sounds like it might be from boredom, anxiety, issues. (if no medical issues) being a 1 yr. old, he probably has alot of energy. daily walks and off-leash runs might help. Give him a "job" to do. his mind needs to stay busy. also another possibility - separation anxiety? There are toys that can help relieve bordom while your away- the Kong is great, you can stuff treats inside and keeps them busy trying to get at it. I also know about these issues first-hand as I have a 2 yr. old Golden myself. Good Luck!!

Only have off leash runs if it's in a dog park or other fenced in/restricted area. Even the best trained dogs can take off if provoked by something. My boss' dog went to very expensive schools to get him trained to the max. He took off at work one day after a squirrel. They got him back safely but it just proves what I always say, & noone believes me. Yes, it does sound like he's bored. If he doesn't get help it will get worse & affect him more mentally, like depression. But first rule out any medical issues, or allergies. Allergies cause wierd symptoms & can be from something outside or in the food etc.

I totally agree with Ann from MA. Your dog needs at least 45 minutes of exercise every day. I have a Weimaraner who get very naughty if she misses her exercise routine. Check out The Dog Whisperer's blog (Google it). He advocates exercise daily to get the dog in a calm, submissive state. Your dog's anxieties will subside if you walk him daily.

Hi, Michelle,

I also have a golden who is 4 months old. She does

chase her tail alot, but does not eat the hair. It does

sound alot like boredom, as we had a border collie who used

to chew her fur alot and the vet said it was from boredom.

The vet had suggested getting her things to chew on like

bones, etc., to keep her busy. Also, I met another Golden

Mommy on this website and have become pen pals, sharing all

of our "Golden" news. My e-mail is mrs75ss AT

Other "Golden" mommies are welcome to e-mail me.

I have read about dogs and cats eating foods as close as possible to their original diets in the wild will improve the pets overall health and happiness. Doing a search on primal vet diet will give you many informative websites. It will also help any skin rashes and itches from allergies. If you get the frozen puck kind it is also good for their teeth and resists tarter build-up. I originally read but the Website is not available at the moment. If he is chewing because of a skin condition you could find this informative.

The purebred Golden Retriever we had used to do the same thing. When the vet gave him cortisone shots it would get better. Best of luck

Pets Dogs HealthNovember 21, 2007
Golden Retriever Mix
Golden Retriever Mix Photos
Golden Birthday Party
Golden Birthday Party Ideas
Muffin (Golden Retriever - Chow Mix)
Golden Retriever/Chow Mix Photos
Golden Retriever
Golden Retriever - Breed Information and Photos