Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

Category Odors
cigarette smoke odors
The odor from cigarette smoke is strong, pervasive, and often difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing cigarette smoke odors.

To help eliminate smoke odors from ashtrays while in use, pour some baking soda in them. This also helps for easy clean up.

By Lisa S.

This is a guide about removing cigarette smell from leather jacket. You will want to use the appropriate cleaning methods for leather when trying to remove cigarette odor from a jacket.

A man smoking a cigarette and wearing a black leather jacket.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning cigarette smoke odors on stuffed animals. Cigarette smoke is so pervasive. It clings to everything including a child's stuffies.

Child sniffing and hugging large stuffed bear

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Cigarette smoke permeates many materials of a car's interior, making it a challenge to remove the smell. This guide is about removing cigarette smoke odor from a car.

cigarette odors in a car

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Cigarette smoke permeates everything in a smokers household. Removing the odor of cigarettes can be difficult, especially from anything leather. This is a guide about removing cigarette smoke odor from leather.

Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I need to know how to get rid of cigarette smoke in my house. My husband smokes. I have used all kinds of spray. Burned candles, still I can smell the smoke. What can I use? I have a small poodle, so I would need something that wouldn't hurt my dog.

Shonda from Grand Rivers, KY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Fill a spray bottle 3/4 full with cold water. Pour in 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar. Every time your husband lights up, spray him down with this solution.

My husband smokes cigarettes in the bedroom, but the whole house smells like an ashtray. I've tried to get him to smoke outside but to no avail. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the "ashtray" smell in my house? Thanks.

By Pamela

What a stupid answer!

There is a cigarette odour behind the base cupboards in a fitted kitchen. A small gap at the top of each cupboard and drawer allows the smell to permeate. As the smell seems to be on the wall behind how can I eliminate this?

I believe that is the only thing you can do as all of your wall cannot be reached and whatever runs down will not hurt/harm anything unless there is an excessive amount and it runs to the front of your cabinets - so be prepared with rags to clean any over-run.

I discussed this with my son as we have this problem many times with renters who leave this problem behind when they move (we only rent to non-smokers - haha!) and he says that using ammonia may be too much for you (although he thinks it is the best) and you could try using a vinegar mixture instead. He recommends finding a stronger vinegar than the regular white vinegar found in the stores. You can sometimes find a stronger vinegar at Home Depot, Ace Hardware or some other stores. You may have to call around to find it as not too many places carry it. A mixture of 1/4 water to 3/4 vinegar may do the job with a lot less clean-up work as the vinegar cleans away easier and the smell will be gone in several hours.

I really hope you can clear this up as none of my large family have ever smoked and the smell and grime really becomes unbearable for us so I can appreciate how you feel.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions or concerns. A reminder; using any kind of strong cleaner requires caution for your own health's sake.

i will also say that if there were any appliances/furniture that was not replaced then you may have to clean those also.

I just bought my new mobile (double-wide) home. New to me, but owned by a smoker. When I first viewed the home I did not smell smoke at all and I am a real shark for smoke smell (I hate it). I viewed the home 2xs in 2 weeks. No odor. My offer is accepted and I return for home inspection - smoke! I ask. Told it was the AC - deceased husband smoked just under the built-in AC. Hmmmm....OK. Returned for a gab and buy/sell with owner (real nice woman) barely a whiff. OK. Walk-thru gets put smack up to closing and at walk-thru I could hardly breath. I opened all windows for 2 days - still stinks to high heaven!

Question - and thanks for excellent tips here - I could never wash walls by hand (disabled) so I wondered if I might use a thick painting roller and roll the residue off? Even the ceilings could be done this way. I couldn't do that, friends will help, but I could roll the walls. What do you think of this as a method? Seeing as how I wasn't able to smell anything at viewings (I'm sure her realtor put the fear of god into her that buyers would flee if she didn't smoke outside, but once she had a P & S Agreement she slipped back and by move out time it was packs and packs galore). I'm hoping a wash with water and vinegar or TSP (but don't you have to also rinse TSP?). I sure could not do the cleaning 2xs) prior to KILZ primer and paint will do the job. I will also, of course, wash all shelves, cupboards, etc. What do you think? And sorry for the long (...)s, I know they make the reading harder. Bad habit. Thanks.

By Sue B

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I heard cut a green apple in half and lay around,, not too long -per fruit flies. Google this to get proper instructions.. Ciao!

I have a room attached to my garage that is sheetrocked and insulated, but is not painted or primed. My renters smoke very heavily in this room and now that room and the garage smells. When they took down the pictures that they had hanging up there is a brown tint around where the picture was hanging.

We have had the windows open but this does not help. What is the best way to get the smell out. Also, is priming it now just going to make the smell stick into the walls.

Please help with any ideas!

By Sue

There is a tried and true product easily found at Lowe's, Home Depot etc. It is called TSP my friend smoked like a fiend and never would open windows to air out! When she would move we would go tet TSP and scrub the walls with it, I helped just to see the clean walls.

My house smells of cigarette smoke, thanks to the people who lived in it before me. I was told to bleach the walls to get out the smell, but was wondering if there were any other ways to get out that nasty smell. Thanks.

By Deborah A

I used Murphy's Oil Soap to clean my walls for the same reason. It worked well. Good Luck.

We are moving into a lower level duplex, the upstairs tenants are heavy smokers and moved out from the lower level a few days ago. I will deep clean the carpets and walls to get the smell out of the lower level, but am concerned about the continuing tobacco smoke from above, or the air ducts.

I am not sure how to clean. Will my cleaning will be null and void because of the continuous smoking from up above?

Anya from MN

white vinegar white vinegar baking soda baking soda i'm a smoker

I acquired a relatively new refrigerator from a house where someone smoked. The refrigerator has the smell of stale smoke inside. How do I get rid of this odor?

Gretchen from Cincinnati, OH

Have tried all of the above and now have a combo odor of vinegar and smoke. My grandson thought it was awful! I'm thinking the smoke odor must be coming from within the frig; I'm about ready to just give it away. Lesson learned; never purchase any appliance from a smoking family!

I was given a raincoat which is a plastic material on the outside and a silky fabric on the inside. The previous owner was a cigarette smoker, and the coat stinks like cigarette smoke. The coat cannot be placed in the washer. I have hung it outside to air for over a week, placed it in the bathtub with Dawn dish soap and cleaned it with a rag, and I have sprayed it with Febreeze. All to no avail. Does anyone have a secret to getting this horrible smell out of the coat so that it can be saved?

By Joce141 from Pittsburgh, PA

You can put it in the washer just put on gentle cycle and hang on a hanger some where in the house or outside until dried

I wash my vinyl table cloths that way and my tennis shoes just do not throw into dryer

I have asthma really bad and get headaches when I smell cigarette smoke coming into my bedroom, even with my bedroom door closed. The AC/heat vents are blocked. I have used candles, and spray alot of air fresheners. Nothing is working. I have an air cleaner and that's not helping either? What can I used that might help keep the smells away from my room?

By Jonathan J R from Philadelphia PA

Anonymous

Having severe case of asthma should be the deciding factor for any smokers for whom you are attempting to shield your lungs from. Move, ask the smoker to move ,do whatever you must , if they decide to continue to smoke.

Is there some legal action I can take about the smoke getting in my apartment from my neighbor downstairs? We are getting sick as if we ourselves smoked. I have a 9 years old affected by the contaminated air too. What can I do to make the air cleaner?

By Marina R

I would certainly complain to the manager, even if it is not a smoke free building. Also, you should check your state or province laws, as there may be regulations against smoking. There are so few places that people can smoke nowadays, and most of the smokers I know DON'T smoke in their own homes! If the manager will do nothing, and there is no other recourse, make arrangements to move out. If you threaten to leave (and, of course, mean it) the manager may rethink his position of doing nothing.

My grandbaby is visiting soon and I have been doing everything I know to rid the house of cigarette smoke. I have gotten the carpets cleaned. I am also washing draperies and steaming my tile floors. But I still can smell a stale odor even though I haven't smoked in the house in over a year. I'm thinking the walls and my plastic blinds are holding the odor. I heard vinegar and water may work, but I'm afraid the strong smell of vinegar will run everybody out of the house. Suggestions?

By Molly

White vinegar is a great deodorant if allowed to dry completely, mix with water, not full strength.

But I would use dawn [blue] and a tablespoon of bleach in a bucket of water. Cigarette smoke contains tar, which is sticky so that's for the Dawn, and bleach will deodorize. The walls need that treatment and it will help. Much of the smell will be gone in few hours. Don't overdo the bleach.

How do you get rid of cigarette smell in your home?

By Linda

I also use bread and vinegar. I put a piece of bread on a small plate and saturate it with vinegar, then set it out in the rooms. Seems to work.

I have been given a brand new wheelchair (electric) which I needed badly, but the lady who had it smoked a lot and it smells of strong cigarette smoke. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to remove the scent from the chair? I have tried Murphy's oil soap, Lysol, Febreze and setting it out in the sun all day.
The chair is regular wheelchair material. Thank you.

By knettles from GA

If she was a heavy smoker, the smoke has gotten into the mechanism also. I would use baking soda (dry) sprinkle it everywhere, then vacuum in an hour. Coat it again with the baking soda and just leave it to wear off naturally. You can also try the carpet deodorizers for pets and smoke. I get mine at the local dollar store.

Could you help me get cigarette smoke out of a plastic covering on a used baby changing table?

Thanks,
Janine

Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with about a cup of white distilled vinegar and then dilute with another cup of water. Put this in a spray bottle and use like febreeze.. works better and great for cig smoke.

My sister-in-law gave us a microfiber couch. It's in great shape except they are smokers. Is there anything that will get this cigarette smell out of it?

You can use 1 part white vinegar diluted in 2 parts water and keep wiping it over the sofa making sure not to soak it. It will take a lot of swipes before odor has diminished. Let dry and repeat. You'll see the cloth and water turning color; keep it changed while doing this. You may not get ALL of it lifted, but a majority will certainly help. If the armrests have zip off coverings, you can launder those and let air dry. Sitting it outdoors out of sunlight would probably help some while cleaning the fabric as it will dry faster and sofa can air out. That's the least expensive way to deal with this, but a carpet/furniture cleaner could probably do more for the sofa quicker. I'd probably contact a pro after I've done all I could to hopefully have remaining odor lifted.

I live in an apartment in a non-smoking building, but my upstairs neighbors were smoking like chimneys. The landlord told them they had to stop and only smoke outside. Though they are no longer smoking indoors, the cigarette smell is still coming out of my heating vents. Is there any way to get rid of this? I hate the smell and it wreaks havoc on my sinuses.

By Maggie

About the only way to get rid of the odour is to have a professional company clean the ductwork. Perhaps the landlord can charge the upstairs tenant for the cost of having their mess cleaned up!

How do I remove cigarette smoke from an ivory pipe?

By John from Salt Lake City, UT

Pack the bowl with baking soda and add about half a shot glass of white vinegar, quickly cover bowl with thumb tightly. The vinegar and soda will react and spew out thru the pipe stem. This is how I used to refresh my pipes when I used to smoke. Another method was to wash pipe in dishwasher. Hope this helps

My mom is a smoker. I'm 13. I have been asking her to stop smoking around me because she won't wash all of my clothes in my room even though they smell like smoke because of her. People at school tell me I smell like smoke and I don't like it. How do I get the smell of smoke out of my clothes and room?

By Nonyabeeswax

One way to help reduce the smoke in your room is honestly to make sure your door is always closed. Keep all your clothes in your room and not around the house or it will pick up the smoke scent. Sitting on fabric or leather furniture also picks up the smell so before you go to school maybe limit the amount of time on these things to reduce the smell of smoke. Also cleaning your room with baking powder deodorizer will help with the smell. Something like arm and hammer carpet cleaner powder or simple baking soda. My mother would smoke all the time in the house and these are things I starting doing.

I have a fiber optic poinsettia tree. How would you clean this tree? It comes from a smoker's home. Does anyone know how to clean the tree?

By Pam

I just purchased a fabric headboard and frame. It looks perfect and I got it for a great price, but, when I got it home I realized just how it reeked of cigarette smoke! I sprayed diluted white vinegar a few times and that didn't help. I also put out bowls of activated charcoal, but that didn't help either. Then yesterday I had it professionally cleaned and the smell seemed gone, but then once it dried the smell is back. Can I get rid of it, or should I just cut my losses and sell it?

By Beard

How do I get rid of smoke smell in a room? Does brown vinegar work as well as white?

By Donal

The renters moved out of my 1100 sq foot office. It stinks really badly. I must clean up before trying to rent. What can I do?

How do I eliminate cigarette smoke odor?

By prabhakarkulkarni1958

What is the best way to clean the inside canvas of a popup camper that we bought from chain smokers?

By Dianne E

How do I get cigarette smoke out of the house?

By Anastasia from Berkeley, CA

Answers:

Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

For me, the only way I got rid cigarette smoke smell is washing my walls with bleach. You don't have to use lots of bleach. 1% will do it, and wash anything where you can use bleach. Covering the smelling just isn't enough. Try it! (08/06/2010)

By lilcookie

Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

Keeping in mind to keep this up and out of the way of kids and pets, try a bowl of household ammonia, either the clear or yellow kind. Our first home was a used mobile home, and the previous owners were heavy smokers. While we were about redoing and cleaning the inside, I would put a bowl out, leaving windows and doors open while we were inside.

Then when we were done for the day and left, close all of the windows and doors, and the smell will be gone in no time.
Of course, if it is so bad that it has stained the walls (the yellow cigarette grease was even inside the refrigerator, coating the walls!), washing them down with vinegar, pine oil, or bleach should help. (08/07/2010)

By fatboyslimsmom

Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

You will need to also professionally steam clean the carpet with a service like Stanley Steamer, not the rental or do it yourself ones. This will help infinitely. A dehumidifier will also help a lot. Good luck. (08/10/2010)

By yoder178

Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

I use to clean bars that smelled terrible from cigarette smoke and we used OdoBan to clean with, it also kills 99.99% of germs; it's wonderful. I use it everyday in my home. You can use it on lots of things. Give it a shot. You can buy it at Wal-mart or Sam's club. Hope this helps! (10/14/2010)

By cathy45

How do I get the smell of cigarettes out of a room?

By Betty from Houston, TX

Answers:

Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

Try setting out a few small bowls of white vinegar. You may need to scrub your walls to remove the nicotine. And don't forget to clean the a/c vent. (03/05/2010)

By beckybd

Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

After my mother visits (she is a smoker) I set out 2 glass bowls with regular cleaning ammonia in them, where they are out of reach of kids/pets. I leave them out for 4-8 hours, and then discard. (03/06/2010)

By fatboyslimsmom

Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

I have got to let you know about Room Shocker product. My husband and I found the home of our dreams about 10 months ago. I was so sad when I walked into the home and smelled a horrible cigarette odor everywhere. We are not smokers and I am very sensitive to the smell. If we were going to live there, we had to remove the odor. We almost didn't buy the home because of it.

After doing a lot of research, I found Biocide Systems products. The testimonials convinced me that we could get the smell out. We bought two room shocker bundles (total 8 units). I was amazed when we entered the home after 24 hours. The smell was gone. We already had painters scheduled, so we went ahead and painted. But, I really don't think we would have had to paint.

It's been over 10 months now and none of the smell has come back. The smell of my home is one of the first impressions that a visitor gets and it's very important to me. Because of this product, we were able to buy the home of our dreams. (03/18/2010)

By Marisol72

Load More