Corn Bread Tips

Try mixing 1/3 cup of crumbled crisp bacon into a corn bread batter before you pour it into the baking pan.

Corn bread won't stick to the baking pan if you grease the pan and then sprinkle it well with cornmeal.

Don't bake corn bread in a pan that is too thin or the outside will be overdone before the inside has baked.

By joesgirl

I've found the best thing to cook cornbread in is a well-seasoned cast iron skillet. The way I do it is melt a couple tablespoons of bacon grease in the skillet and swish it around good to coat the pan, then pour it into my batter and mix it in, then pour the batter into the hot skillet and pop it in the oven.

I'll have to try the bacon trick and the corn meal trick... sounds like good ideas.

Also, I am partial to coarse stone ground yellow corn meal. The only brand I've found in recent years is Hodgson Mill, and it isn't available in this podunk town. Does anyone know of another good brand?

Thanks, Alph

Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadOctober 14, 2004
Corn Bread Dressing
Corn Bread Dressing Recipes
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes
Upclose photo of corn spoon bread.
Corn Spoon Bread Recipes
🎄