Uses for Plastic Protein Powder Jugs - Categories:

Recycled CraftsCrafts

Uses for Plastic Protein Powder Jugs

My son goes through two 1 gallon jugs of protein powder per week and I hate to toss the jugs. I know there should be some creative way to reuse them. I had thought about decorating them like stone cannisters but I don't have a clue how to do it. Any suggestions? I have a pic of the plain jane jug.

De from Springhill, LA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

My husband goes through these too. The uses I have found so far: One year I cut them in half and made 2 flower pots. I do use these for storage as well. I use them to store odds and ends used for crafts, or whatever you want to stay clean....and stuff somewhere when not in use. I bet they would make nice light shades if you cut/burn designs out and line with colored paper. Please remember these can be recycled too(make sure not to throw them away).

I tend to use buckets or jugs for watering when it gets hot. Pierce a small hole in the bottom and fill it with water, then set it at the base of a tree, shrub, or any other plant that you'd like to water. It leaks out slowly, and allows the water to soak in instead of running all over the place. I also know people who bury them next to bushes for the same purpose- that way you don't see them. They'd also be good for saving coffee grounds for composting (lots of good suggestions for plants that like them on this site). You could store cat food in them, too- We use rinsed- out kitty litter jugs, but these would work, too.

If you want to make canisters out of them, try those rub-on graphics you can get in the craft dept. at Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby. I wanted canisters with roosters on them. I couldn't find any I could afford or that I liked, so I bought plain white canisters and rub-ons that were roosters and made my own.

Renee

I use them as canisters for flour and sugar. I also have a huge 5 gallon one.. I got that at www.netrition.com. It was a GREAT deal!! I keep my cats food in empty ones like that. It keeps it dry since the food is outside. Cindy

i like the canister ideas about your jugs.I like using discounted wallpaper border that can be had at times as low as .50c a roll.

I don't know the drink mix right now so i can't visualize the size but I am thinking that if they would fit on their side in a cupboard stacked, that the storage possibilities would be endless...

Too bad they aren't clear--then they wouldn't even need a label...

Maybe one for a countertop compost bin ?

&

another one for a small trash can in sewing or craft space?

How about in the car to hold small things either for kids or whatnot ?

Gee -- what a lucky treasure to have !

There is a paint made for plastics. I recently bought one with a stone finish Has a rough texture about like stoneware. Just sand the jugs to give them a "tooth" for the paint to adhere to, and spray way. Hope this helps.

Hi, De,

This is off-topic, but as a nurse, I am concerned with the amount of protein your son is consuming. Please make sure he is not exceeding the recommended daily amount because too much protein can damage kidneys permanently.

Sincerely,

Nancy RN in Florida

Seems like it would make a nice yarn canister . . . use a drill to make a hole in the top and make sure you file it smooth so the yarn won't catch. Drop your yarn inside, feed an end through the hole in the lid, and knit or crochet to your heart's content!

These would also make nice storage for embroidery work in progress. Include the directions and all thread colors, and you are ready to pick it up again when you can devote some time to your project.

What about cutting a coin slot in the top and use it to collect coins in? One of these near the washer could come in handy to save what winds up in the bottom of the washer after doing a load of laundry. It would also be useful in a bedroom for emptying out pocket change at the end of the day or when you clean out your purse.

You could also create a tool kit to keep in the trunk of your car by putting a few basic tools and maybe some emergency flares inside.

It would be a great way to keep batteries on hand for disaster preparedness. You could have your batteries sorted by size and have a pretty good store of them laid in to get you through hurricane or tornado season.

These would also make good 72 hour food kits for emergencies. For each person, place individual sized prepackaged ready-to-eat non-perishable foods for 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3 dinners. Don't forget to add snacks, gum and mints or candy. This will help you to survive until rescue workers can bring in additional help and sustenance.

Create kits for items that folks can assemble themselves and give them as gifts for birthdays or holidays.

Store lego pieces in them!

Give them to a nursery school to use for building blocks. I'll bet they'd love to have them for storing lots of different teaching things in also.

Make a kid's bowling game outside by setting up ten of these and using a playground ball to roll at them to knock them down.

What about using them for a carnival game at a school? They could be placed snugly into either a box or an angled frame (made of wood?) and used for a toss game.

The lids could be used under plant pots to catch excess water.

Got kids going camping? Keep their gear nice and dry during the inevitable rain storm by stowing it in these nifty canisters!

I love the idea that someone shared about using these in the garden by poking a hole in the bottom, filling with water, setting by a plant and allowing the water to slowly seep out and water your plant. Good thinking! What a great way to conserve water while keeping your garden vital!

Decoupage them and use them for silk flower arrangements......I do that with my creamer containers....the ones you have could be used for larger arrangements and would be good for on the floor or on a deck or ..........lots of places.

Hey everyone! These ideas are GREAT. I really like the one from duckie & will try it along with some of the other suggestions. Keep them coming coz Christmas is on the way and I like to do homemade gifts!! Thanks Nancy, I questioned him on this & he said as long as he keeps it under 2 grams per pound of body weight & drinks his 64 oz of water per day it's within acceptable parameters *LOL

I know this is not for you per se, but how about asking local daycare centers if they could use them. I drink protein drinks and take some to the daycare I work at. We use them for storage and make games out of them. I know I love them.

My neighborhood puts out luminaries every Christmas they use lunch bags with candles. My father always has the clever ideas and used these as reusable lumanaries. He poured concrete in the bottom and made a hole for the candle. Now, every year we pull out our lumanaries, they glow so beautifully and don't catch on fire! The neighbors have started this also!

Hi there. Another idea to the already great ideas is to be used for a bird house/feeder. Use the paint for plastics and hang. To decorate the jug you can use wallpaper,hotglue gun, glue and fabric. So many choices. Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

You can color this type of plastic with a Sharpie marker. When you put a glow stick in the container, it will illuminate your design. Great fun for camping or any outdoor activities.

I use similar containers to compost kitchen waste in. I put it through the blender first, with just enough water to make it work, and leave it outside for a few weeks. It makes very good fertilizer. Milk jugs work very well, too.

Paint the canister with chalkboard paint or create small sized square or rectangle with the chalkboard paint and draw/paint a frame around the board -creating a miniature chalkboard--using chalk to label your jug! you can even glue a strip of white rope or thick hemp around the canister to cover-looks really nice-especially in laundry room if you use "powders" such as Borax, detergents, dryer sheets....!

Crafts Recycled CraftsJune 1, 2007
High Protein Bread Recipes
High Protein Bread Recipes
Protein Powder
Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes
Two bare feet.
Homemade Foot Powder
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 25, 2016 at 6:36:18 AM on 10.0.0.138 in 283 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.