Box Spring Alternatives

I have a platform bed, it's actually an old water bed frame without the sides. We use a headboard that was passed down from my husband's parents with the water bed platform pushed up to it. The mattress sits on top of the drawers. This was great for a while and gave us some extra drawer space, but now I wish we had a 'regular' bed.

I have the original frame for the original headboard still, but do not have a box spring nor can we afford one. It's extremely rare to find one at a sale around here. Also, I'm not sure I want someone's old bedding. Any ideas as to how I can use the frame and mattress without a box spring and still get the comfort and height of a normal bed?

I've thought about just putting wood pieces across the frame to support the mattress, but then it would be too low. Maybe doing that and putting something strong under the feet of the frame for height, but what? Wood block? I can always hide whatever I use with a dust ruffle.

By SusLuvsVintage from IL

I have a bed somewhat like yours & I just love it (no box springs)! It's build out of 2 x 4's that are bolted together. My mattress sits directly on top of 2 pieces of plywood. I've added a piece of memory foam (then egg-crate foam) to the top of my mattress & put a stack of 6 inch tiles that are taped together under the legs for extra height. You can also use bricks or concrete blocks (or even a stack of magazines that are taped together) under the bed to lift it up. I've had this bed since 1987 & I just love the way the mattress doesn't sag like it would on box springs! It's not hard like you'd think.

Do you have access to the plastic milk crates that grocery stores recieve their milk packed in? The milk manufactors ship 4 gallons of milk in each crate. The crates are very strong and turned upside down and connected with pipe cleaners are zip ties are very strong and will create a flat surface for the mattress to lay on. I don't know how many it would take to create the surface needed to lay your mattress on but it would work. The crates are usually available at any grocery store just ask them if you can have them.

Consumer Advice General AdviceMay 18, 2009
Spring floral wall bucket using artificial flowers.
Homemade Spring Decorations
Dried Wreath With Crocus Flower
Homemade Spring Wreaths
Child's hand picking an English daisy in the lawn.
Alternatives to Having a Lawn
uncovered box spring mattress
Repairing a Box Spring Mattress