KitchenHome Improvement

Kitchen Counters and Cabinets that Go With Oak Floors

I am thinking about replacing my kitchen cabinets and counter tops, but I am not sure what color I should choose for the cabinet and counter top in order to match my floor (oak wood floor with natural color).

Thanks,
Wendy from Phoenix, AZ

Try holding paint swatches up against your flooring. Determine if the wood hue has a yellowish cast or a reddish cast to it. I'm thinking oak is yellowish, but yours may be different. Actually any color will go with the flooring.. you just need to find a shade of that color that has similar casting to it.. This is just my opinion, but give it a try. Hope it helps..

Use whatever color scheme pleases YOU. After all it`s YOU who has to live with the choice. The so-called experts are only people who have their own likes and dislikes as we all do so trust yourself and good luck with your selection.

I, too, have oak floors and cabinets and wondered about the right color. So I went to the paint store and picked up about 10 color sample strips I liked. I took them home, cut them into individual colors, then taped the small swatches to the cabinet doors. For a week I wanted to see which color caught my eye the most. It was different in daylight, night, and candle light. I settled on a 'sunflower' dark yellow.

If your interested in a modern kitchen, but also a classic style that would be more appealing...in the event you want to sell your home in the near future. I would suggest a medium brown cabinet and the counter tops either in a gold, brown and cream combination. Also, you could go with a countertop with black with deep rich colors. This is a very classic style that will not become dated in the years to come.

I am stressing about what color to stain the wood floor and cabinets, I have a small condo with not much light, but am not wild about yellow.