Evergreen Shrubs Turning Brown

Last year I planted some evergreen shrubs. They are planted from 6 feet to 8 feet a part individually. They are about 3.5 feet tall. Something is turning them brown from the inside out. I have already lost one. Now the other 4 are "catching" the same thing. Someone please tell me what it is, what the cure is, and will it spread to the rest of my plants? I reside in N.W. Wisconsin if thats relevant.

c.j.cox

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

in Colorado we have voles, small mice type things, they will go under the bushes and eat the bark, and that will kill the shrub from the inside out. Look for little trails running fom the bushes into the yard, inspect the under side of the bushes, is the bark stripped? If the problem is voles the best thing to do is to trim the bushes so they do not hang down to the ground, voles like to hide.

I live in NE Wisconsin. There's lots of evergreens turning brown here also. I think the reason is because last summer was very dry. Thus, the "greens" were not able to store moisture during the winter. Plus, we had lots of wind burn during the cold winter. We had many days of prevailing winds this last winter. The "greens" are turning brown as a result of this stress. I've been cutting the brown branches out (as long as there's no green buds on them). If the whole tree turns brown, cut it down immediately to prevent pests which may invade the surrounding evergreens. I hope this helps.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Gardening ShrubsMay 22, 2005
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Norfolk pine when healthy.
Norfolk Pine Needles Turning Brown
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Evergreen garland with berries and glass Christmas ornaments.
Making an Evergreen Garland
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 21, 2016 at 8:55:36 AM on 10.0.1.140 in 823 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.