Washing Machine Keeps Turning Off

After the wash cycle and the machine starts it's spin, it then stops, beeps. I have to turn it off, turn it back on, then hit the restart button and it finishes the rest of the cycles. It is not out of balance when this happens which is every time I do a load. This machine is about 5 years old. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

I would tend to agree that it is the timer. If you are handy at all, you can fix it yourself. I say this assuming that it is no longer under warranty. If the washer is not past the warranty period, definitely call a repairman!

I get my appliance parts at: www.repairclinic.com

Their prices are quite reasonable and they also provide the instructions for the repair online! If you are unsure that you can do the repair, at least check it out and look at the directions before you call the repair guy to be sure.

I'm not a representative of the site, just a satisfied repeat customer.

Best Answer

Hi Alice,

There are 3 possibilities,

1. Partial blockage in the pump-you will see this as a lot of water splashing in the machine when it tries to spin. This occurs because the pump cannot remove enough water and the machine can stop due to the program still sees the water from the pressure switch. Starting it again allows the pump to remove the remainder of the water.

2. Door switch could be faulty and as it spins due to weight distribution in the drum it vibrates the door switch.

3. There is also a possibility that the brushes in your motor are starting to wear down -you might see this as clothes coming out of the machine still slightly wet.

If it is 5 years old then you should be still in warranty and only pay a call out fee.

There could be a problem with the timer, you might have to call in a repairman.

There may be a problem with the door switch. It may think you are opening the door.

My washing machine did that and it needed a new switch. They are not very expensive. I think I paid 60 dollars for them to come out and then 10 dollars for the switch. It's an easy fix.

Man Repairing a Washing Machine
Repairing a Washing Machine
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersApril 14, 2008
Sewing Machine
Bobbin Case Keeps Falling Out of a Sewing Machine
washing machine
Washer Not Spinning Properly
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Washing Machine
Extending the Life of Your Washing Machine