Repairing a Washing Machine

When your clothes washing machine is not working properly, you want to get it fixed as soon as possible. If your warranty is expired, you may still need to call a repair person, or sometimes you can do it yourself. This page is about repairing a washing machine.

Our newer washing machine has been giving an error code and not getting the clothes clean at all. We searched the Internet and found that the code indicated low water level (water not flowing into the machine). We tried cleaning the detergent tray, and that seemed to help, but a week later, we were getting the same error code. The DH was ready to give up and call a repair service, but I decided to give it a look.

I checked all the water spigots connected to the machine to insure the valves were open, then detached the hoses to see if they were blocked (made sure the valves were closed before detaching the hoses). I discovered a tiny mesh filter in the end of the hose that was coated with minerals from the hard water. It took me about 5 minutes to scrub off the mineral deposits. I used a bit of toilet bowl cleaner with rust remover in it. You could also soak it in white vinegar overnight.

It worked like a charm, no more error code, no repair bill and clean clothes! If I had been forced to replace the part, it would have probably cost less than a dollar but saved a trip to the store by cleaning the one I had.

Source: My dad taught me to pinch a penny, but this repair was all me!

My Bendix washer recently made all the right noises, and lit up beautifully - but didn't fill with water. It suddenly occurred to me that there might be an airlock or sticking valve, so I picked up the inlet pipe, lifted it above the level of the inlet valve, and gave it a very gentle shake.

Whatever the explanation was - my washing machine has been working perfectly ever since.

40 Questions

After the wash cycle and the machine starts it's spin, it then stops, beeps. I have to turn it off, turn it back on, then hit the restart button and it finishes the rest of the cycles. It is not out of balance when this happens which is every time I do a load. This machine is about 5 years old. Any suggestions?

Alice

Answers

By Cindy (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I would tend to agree that it is the timer. If you are handy at all, you can fix it yourself. I say this assuming that it is no longer under warranty. If the washer is not past the warranty period, definitely call a repairman!

I get my appliance parts at: www.repairclinic.com

Their prices are quite reasonable and they also provide the instructions for the repair online! If you are unsure that you can do the repair, at least check it out and look at the directions before you call the repair guy to be sure.

I'm not a representative of the site, just a satisfied repeat customer.

Best Answer

Hi Alice,
There are 3 possibilities,
1. Partial blockage in the pump-you will see this as a lot of water splashing in the machine when it tries to spin. This occurs because the pump cannot remove enough water and the machine can stop due to the program still sees the water from the pressure switch. Starting it again allows the pump to remove the remainder of the water.
2. Door switch could be faulty and as it spins due to weight distribution in the drum it vibrates the door switch.
3. There is also a possibility that the brushes in your motor are starting to wear down -you might see this as clothes coming out of the machine still slightly wet.
If it is 5 years old then you should be still in warranty and only pay a call out fee.

Answer this Question

My Maytag top loading washing machine leaves small pieces of rubber in the tub after the washer has finished spinning and the washing is done. It leaves a very small amount of rubber no matter what I am washing. What is the reason for the rubber and what do I need to do to correct this problem? The washing machine does not make any unusual noises or behave in an abnormal way. The washing machine is about 20 years old.

Answers

Best Answer

I have seen this issue in the past with a friend's washing machine. We finally took the machine apart and found out that there were two issues with the machine. One the belt was starting to fray that spins the tub and two there are some bumper pads on the side of the tub that keep the tub from knocking around when washing and spinning. They are there to help if the tub is off balance and wanting to hit the side of the machine.

Best Answer

There is a seal around the door of your washer. You have to be careful that you do not loose more of the seal. This will produce leaks and malfunction of your washer. Look to replace that!

Best Answer

This could be caused by several things but since your washer is 20 years old you probably should do a complete service to find other parts that may be getting worn.
Hopefully there is someone around who can take it apart and do a complete clean up job as a service call would be expensive but it may keep your washer working another 10 years or longer.

Since the pieces are found inside the washer it may be something visible.
You can always check any gasket that is in sight by rubbing your hand or clean cloth across it to see if it is crumbling.
You can contact Maytag and ask your question as they have a chat section on their site.
I hope they will be able to narrow it down for you as otherwise you will be doing a hit and miss game to find the problem.
They may have a manual also and that might help with taking the cover off to find the part you need.

www.maytag.com/.../contact-us.html

www.partselect.com/.../

www.ereplacementparts.com/maytag-a9400-residential-maytag-laundry...

Answer this Question

I was hoping that someone will be able to help me with a problem that I'm experiencing with my washing machine.

First when the cold water is turned on in the back of the machine it continues to drip into the machine until it overflows. So I turn the valve off and only use the hot water.

Second when I wash a load of clothes the machine will go through all of the cycles except the rinse cycle. I have to go and advance it to the spin cycle by hand.

The machine is only 3 years old, but is no longer under warrenty. I've called several places that repairs washing machines but they wont give any advice over the phone. And they say that to just come out and look at it will cost $80.00. That does not include any repairs that needs to be made to the machine.

If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Terry

Answers

By beezel (Guest Post)

try
http://www.repair2000.com

find your appliance, scroll down and you can ask a question.
Has helped me with all my appliances

By Cheryl from Missouri (Guest Post)

My guess would be the timer needs to be replaced.

By Pam (Guest Post)

It might be possible to call the help line of the manufacturer or send an email to the help section of their website about the problem. My clothes dryer was having a problem one time and I called the help line, described the problem, and they were able to diagnose it. Fortunately it was something easily replaceable, so they sold me the part over the phone and sent it to me with detailed replacement instructions. Check your user's manual if you still have it...it might have contact/website info in it for the company.

By Virgie (Guest Post)

I recently had a similar problem with my front load washer not going through the rinse/spin cycle. I had it repaired at $189 ($130 of that was labor!!) but it ended up being the water pump. You might want to check your local appliance parts store. I had to replace my washers door latch (this one I did myself) and I explained the problem I was having and he told me exactly what it was but I ended up paying someone to fix it. Hope this helps.

By Debbie (Guest Post)

Another good site is http://www.repairclinic.com. I've fixed my washer twice with advice (and parts) from this site. It's very easy to use.

you can call sears and they will put it under warranty even if u did not buy it from them... it will cost you about 150 for the year, but it is worth it. we have had so many problems with ours, both washer and dryer, and we bought them from sears 5 yrs ago, i love them when they work.....but if we would have paid to have them fixed without the warranty we would be broke..... i was told once when we let it expire to have them put back under warranty then wait a week to call for an appointment....

By Eby (Guest Post)

I m going through the same problem , cold water over flows, did any one find out the reason, please update .

My husband bought a washing machine and it wobbles and turns across the floor. Hubby says it is from putting clothes in there unevenly. But I showed him that it did it when the machine was empty! When you open the lid while it is spinning, you can see that the barrel is rotating unevenly even with nothing in there.

What could be causing this? It is a Fridgidaire Gallery washing machine. We can't really take it back, can't find the receipt.

Paula from USA

I checked the hoses and they are fine. It is coming from underneath. A lot of water is coming out.

I have a different problem with my washer. I think a screw or a coin may be trapped in between my drum and outer shell as when the washing machine is on spin it is an incredible scraping sound when I spin the drum by hand it does the same. I had my brother look inside the top and he says everything looks attached.

Help, what do I do? My warranty is over. I am from uk so if anyone can tell me how much this is gonna cost me please let me know or if anyone knows what else it could be its a Bosch wfb2004 make. PLEASE HELP I have washing up to the roof and I am frightened to use it in case I totally ruin it?

Love and hugs,
Lisa

Answers

It could be a bad bearing, but if it's just something stuck between the tub and the shell, you can remove the tub and take a look. You should be able to unscrew something in the top center and just lift the tub out to take a look. If you don't find anything and there is no scrapes on the tub, you'll need a service call.

Good luck

If you haven't got a friend that knows what they're doing you'll have to get a repair man to look at it. Why is your washing piling up? If you don't live near a laundrette you could ask a friend if you could use their machine or, (shock horror), even wash your stuff by hand!!!!!!!! LOL!

Regards

Jo

I have a GE washer, model # gtwsn3000m1ws. It will not stop agitation when the cycle is done. I replaced the timer and that solved the problem for about 2 weeks then it started acting up again.

The only way to stop the agitator is to raise the lid.

My Frigidaire washing machine is not pumping water out. Any suggestions?

By Smith from CA

Why does my clothes washer work perfectly fine on delicates, but not on cottons. It will not spin or agitate on that side. I replaced the timer. but to no avail. It is a model number WJRR4170E1WW GE.

My Roper top load washer is non responsive, it is full of water and goes to lid lock light. I checked the lid switch and it seems in working order, but it's also leaking water from the bottom somewhere.

Where do I find the filter for the pump on a Maytag Quiet series 100 washer?

Answer this Question

The washer will fill and agitate fine, but when it goes to spin, it will just humm without spinning. If I open the lid and close it, it will engage and continue on.

It does this on both the wash cycle and rinse cycle. I also noticed that when you lift the lid, it will stop during the spin cycle, but not stop during agitation.

I have a Maytag Performance 9000 series washer, MHWE950W. It is flashing error code F21. I know that means I need to clean out the drain which is located behind the front panel, I watched a YouTube video, and requires that I remove the 3 T20 screws. OK that should be fine, but I could only get one screw out! The other two appear to be stripped, no tool I own will turn those screws. I don't know if they were over-torqued when installed or what, but I've never removed the panel so I know it wasn't me.

The door is locked, I can't get my laundry out and I can't get the panel off! Can someone tell me how to get the door unlocked so I can get my laundry out before it gets moldy and give me some advice as to how to deal with those stubborn screws? Thank you.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersJanuary 22, 2014
😷
🎉
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-a-Washing-Machine.html