Repairing a Washing Machine

When your clothes washing machine is not working properly, you want to get it fixed as soon as possible. If your warranty is expired, you may still need to call a repair person, or sometimes you can do it yourself. This guide is about repairing a washing machine.

Our newer washing machine has been giving an error code and not getting the clothes clean at all. We searched the Internet and found that the code indicated low water level (water not flowing into the machine). We tried cleaning the detergent tray, and that seemed to help, but a week later, we were getting the same error code. The DH was ready to give up and call a repair service, but I decided to give it a look.

I checked all the water spigots connected to the machine to insure the valves were open, then detached the hoses to see if they were blocked (made sure the valves were closed before detaching the hoses). I discovered a tiny mesh filter in the end of the hose that was coated with minerals from the hard water. It took me about 5 minutes to scrub off the mineral deposits. I used a bit of toilet bowl cleaner with rust remover in it. You could also soak it in white vinegar overnight.

It worked like a charm, no more error code, no repair bill and clean clothes! If I had been forced to replace the part, it would have probably cost less than a dollar but saved a trip to the store by cleaning the one I had.

Source: My dad taught me to pinch a penny, but this repair was all me!

My Bendix washer recently made all the right noises, and lit up beautifully - but didn't fill with water. It suddenly occurred to me that there might be an airlock or sticking valve, so I picked up the inlet pipe, lifted it above the level of the inlet valve, and gave it a very gentle shake. Whatever the explanation was - my washing machine has been working perfectly ever since.

After the wash cycle and the machine starts it's spin, it then stops, beeps. I have to turn it off, turn it back on, then hit the restart button and it finishes the rest of the cycles. It is not out of balance when this happens which is every time I do a load. This machine is about 5 years old. Any suggestions?

Alice

Answers

Best Answer

I would tend to agree that it is the timer. If you are handy at all, you can fix it yourself. I say this assuming that it is no longer under warranty. If the washer is not past the warranty period, definitely call a repairman!

I get my appliance parts at: www.repairclinic.com

Their prices are quite reasonable and they also provide the instructions for the repair online! If you are unsure that you can do the repair, at least check it out and look at the directions before you call the repair guy to be sure.

I'm not a representative of the site, just a satisfied repeat customer.

Best Answer

Hi Alice,
There are 3 possibilities,
1. Partial blockage in the pump-you will see this as a lot of water splashing in the machine when it tries to spin. This occurs because the pump cannot remove enough water and the machine can stop due to the program still sees the water from the pressure switch. Starting it again allows the pump to remove the remainder of the water.

2. Door switch could be faulty and as it spins due to weight distribution in the drum it vibrates the door switch.
3. There is also a possibility that the brushes in your motor are starting to wear down -you might see this as clothes coming out of the machine still slightly wet.
If it is 5 years old then you should be still in warranty and only pay a call out fee.

I was hoping that someone will be able to help me with a problem that I'm experiencing with my washing machine.

First when the cold water is turned on in the back of the machine it continues to drip into the machine until it overflows. So I turn the valve off and only use the hot water.

Second when I wash a load of clothes the machine will go through all of the cycles except the rinse cycle. I have to go and advance it to the spin cycle by hand.

The machine is only 3 years old, but is no longer under warrenty. I've called several places that repairs washing machines but they wont give any advice over the phone. And they say that to just come out and look at it will cost $80.00. That does not include any repairs that needs to be made to the machine.

If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Terry

Answers

try
http://www.repair2000.com

find your appliance, scroll down and you can ask a question.
Has helped me with all my appliances

My guess would be the timer needs to be replaced.

It might be possible to call the help line of the manufacturer or send an email to the help section of their website about the problem. My clothes dryer was having a problem one time and I called the help line, described the problem, and they were able to diagnose it. Fortunately it was something easily replaceable, so they sold me the part over the phone and sent it to me with detailed replacement instructions. Check your user's manual if you still have it...it might have contact/website info in it for the company.

I recently had a similar problem with my front load washer not going through the rinse/spin cycle. I had it repaired at $189 ($130 of that was labor!!) but it ended up being the water pump. You might want to check your local appliance parts store. I had to replace my washers door latch (this one I did myself) and I explained the problem I was having and he told me exactly what it was but I ended up paying someone to fix it. Hope this helps.

Another good site is http://www.repairclinic.com. I've fixed my washer twice with advice (and parts) from this site. It's very easy to use.

you can call sears and they will put it under warranty even if u did not buy it from them... it will cost you about 150 for the year, but it is worth it. we have had so many problems with ours, both washer and dryer, and we bought them from sears 5 yrs ago, i love them when they work.....but if we would have paid to have them fixed without the warranty we would be broke..... i was told once when we let it expire to have them put back under warranty then wait a week to call for an appointment....

I m going through the same problem , cold water over flows, did any one find out the reason, please update .

my washing machine won't run the rinse cycle. No water will run in. Can you tell me the problem.

Thanks,
Jessie

Washing Machine Help! Cold Water Overflows The Machine And It Won't Run The Rinse Cycle.

Well guys, I've had problems with my washers and dryers in the past and I've always found it more cost effective to just buy a new one (used if that is more affordable) than to get it repaired. I've picked up perfectly good appliances for free through classified ads but have to be careful with that and make sure you see it work before you bring it home. Anyway, there is a website I love and it is GREAT for help on issues like this www.doityourself.com. Put it in your favourites and I guarantee you'll go back to it again and again. I've gotten help from professionals with household repairs/appliance repairs/automotive....you name it. Good luck!

The water vale is not closing, so it drips. Also the washer needs cold water to rinse.

Two possible components that could be at fault here. In order of likelihood:
1: Water inlet valve is stuck open or otherwise bad.
2: Water level (pressure) switch is bad or clogged.

To tell the difference: A bad water valve will leak water (into the washer) even when the machine is completely unplugged from the wall. These valves aren't expensive and are usually quite easy to replace. Remove the old valve and inspect it; if it's not obviously clogged, replace it.

My washing machine is full of water but wont empty and door won't open.

My husband bought a washing machine and it wobbles and turns across the floor. Hubby says it is from putting clothes in there unevenly. But I showed him that it did it when the machine was empty! When you open the lid while it is spinning, you can see that the barrel is rotating unevenly even with nothing in there.

What could be causing this? It is a Fridgidaire Gallery washing machine. We can't really take it back, can't find the receipt.

Paula from USA

Answers

When I bought my Frigidaire washing machine they told me it was critical to make sure that the washer was level. I would verify that everthing is level as a starting point. Otherwise I would go back to where you purchased it and just ask them for ideas. If you purchased it used go to some place local that does sell them. I know where I purchased mine they have their own service people. Many times they are willing to give you information without coming to your home.

dpcw is correct .. your machine does need to leveled. On most large appliances the feet screw in to the bottom "all" you have to do is play around screwing and unscrewing until the thing is level. I say "all" because it will take 2 people, one to hold up the machine and one to play with the feet. Place a long level on the top to check your progress. We learned this the hardway with our range .. I couldn't figure out why everything in the pans sloped to the back!

Hope that helps! Good Luck!
Rebekah

The barrel in your washer may be set in unevenly and causing the problem. You may have to have a repair guy come and reset it so it is seated properly inside the washer.
Before you do that though check and make sure that it's not being thrown off balance by the washing machine itself not sitting level on the floor. A warped spot on the floor can cause problems, have had that happen to me. Use a level to check and make sure it's sitting on the floor evenly front and back.

When your husband took the washer out of the box, did he remove the packing or shipping cord that is inside the back of the washer? In my washer it was a yellow cord. You give it a pull and it slides out releasing the washer tub. It comes that way to prevent damage during shipping. Try that to see if it corrects the problem. Be sure you level the machine also. It is not hard if you follow the directions that came with the washer. With a level, you will level the front and then the sides. Hope this helps you!

It was the packing bolt! I went by the place we bought it and told them that I had lost the receipt. They looked it up on their computer and sent someone out to look at it.

There was one little bolt and a larger plastic type washer that he took out that should have been taken out when they set it up the first time.

And to think I was about to throw it away and buy another whole washing machine over one little bolt! Hard to believe that one bolt makes all that difference.

Call Frigidaire, your credit card co. and the store where you bought it. Tell them you lost the receipt and see what they will ldo for you.
I expect you will be pleasantly surprised.

What I do to keep receipts is to staple them in the instruction booklet for the appliance.

After my husband leveled up my washer, it was still wobbling. He took a couple of Home Depot Wood Sticks & cut them up & glued them on the linoleum floor around the 2 outer sides of the front level turners on my washer. Now it is fixed & no more wobbling.

I had the same problem. The Sears tech says it is the stands that cause the problem. The machine weighs too much for the stands causing them to wobble. He suggested removing the stands. I wish somebody had told me this prior to paying $199.00 each.

I would often have to shove my Bosch front loader washing machine back into place.We kept leveling the feet but they always shook loose on our un-level floor.The pedestal probably makes it more unstable but I had to have it because of my back.
We finally alleviated the problem and reduced the spin cycle noise by putting a piece of black rubber mat under the machine.The mat is available at exercise equipment/sports stores and is intended for use under exercise equipment.
It took a crow bar and two people to finesse it under:

-Figure out the measurements to cut the mat so that it will fit under all the feet with a slight overhang but not so large that the pedestal drawer catches on it when you open and especially close it (Ours is too big.) -Lay the mat down and roll it up beginning on the left side. (The right side of the mat will be on the floor and the rolled part will be sitting on top of the mat).

-Raise the right side of the washer (front and back feet off the floor) with the crow bar (put something under it to protect the floor).
-Stick the mat under the machine unrolling a small amount on the right side so it lines up under the front and back right feet.Don't set the machine down yet.

-Unroll the mat toward the left side of the machine as far as it will go and lower the right feet on to the mat.
-Lift the left side of the machine as you did the right and unroll the rest of the mat toward the left so it will be under the left front and back feet.

I checked the hoses and they are fine. It is coming from underneath. A lot of water is coming out.

I have a different problem with my washer. I think a screw or a coin may be trapped in between my drum and outer shell as when the washing machine is on spin it is an incredible scraping sound when I spin the drum by hand it does the same. I had my brother look inside the top and he says everything looks attached. Help, what do I do? My warranty is over. I am from uk so if anyone can tell me how much this is gonna cost me please let me know or if anyone knows what else it could be its a Bosch wfb2004 make. PLEASE HELP I have washing up to the roof and I am frightened to use it in case I totally ruin it?

Love and hugs,
Lisa

Answers

It could be a bad bearing, but if it's just something stuck between the tub and the shell, you can remove the tub and take a look. You should be able to unscrew something in the top center and just lift the tub out to take a look. If you don't find anything and there is no scrapes on the tub, you'll need a service call.

Good luck

If you haven't got a friend that knows what they're doing you'll have to get a repair man to look at it. Why is your washing piling up? If you don't live near a laundrette you could ask a friend if you could use their machine or, (shock horror), even wash your stuff by hand!!!!!!!! LOL!

Regards

Jo

my clothes are coming out dirtier then when they went in. I think my rinse cycle is not rinsing them? anyone know?

Bosch front load sounds like coins are stuck inside when it starts to spin.

My Frigidaire washing machine is not pumping water out. Any suggestions?

By Smith from CA

Why does my clothes washer work perfectly fine on delicates, but not on cottons. It will not spin or agitate on that side. I replaced the timer. but to no avail. It is a model number WJRR4170E1WW GE.

My Roper top load washer is non responsive, it is full of water and goes to lid lock light. I checked the lid switch and it seems in working order, but it's also leaking water from the bottom somewhere.

Where do I find the filter for the pump on a Maytag Quiet series 100 washer?

The washer will fill and agitate fine, but when it goes to spin, it will just humm without spinning. If I open the lid and close it, it will engage and continue on. It does this on both the wash cycle and rinse cycle. I also noticed that when you lift the lid, it will stop during the spin cycle, but not stop during agitation.

My 1998 Kenmore toploader keeps turning on and off in the cycle, every minute or so. It eventually finishes the cycle. I can also smell an odor that I might describe as electronic burnt part? Not sure how to describe it. Could it be a timer issue, because I don't hear the timer clicking when it is in its off cycle? Thanks.

By Jeanette

Tips for repairing your clothes washing machine yourself. Post your ideas.

Answers

The clothes washer is acting up. It may not want to change cycles any more. DON'T CALL A REPAIRMAN YET. A GIRL CAN FIX THIS ONE, EASY.

Take off the screws on the panel where the knobs are. There is a timer in there that just unscrews. Go to the Sears store and ask if they have one in stock, THEY DO. Now take the new one home and put it in where the old one was. It shouldn't cost more than about $10 dollars. I did it 15 years ago, and they were only $5.00 then. It's really that easy. MOMS RULE!

By ardis barnes

I have another hint about this: Make sure what you think is a water leak from under the washer really is a water leak. Last week while I was putting clothes in my washer while it was filling, some water splashed back into the area above the tub where the water fills. If I hadn't realized this had happened I would have been worried about the water I saw coming from under my washer.

TerryfromChilliOH

My Maytag Maxima xl washer has a bunch of water in the door seal after completing the wash cycle. Any thoughts?

When my washer is filling on the "hot" cycle only, the water clicks on and off very loudly. This does not occur on other cycles.

My new washing machine is not allowing me to change the amount of minutes I want to run a cycle. I put it on quick cycle and I want to decrease the minutes and instead it was changing the delay start from 8 hours to 7 hours. How can I fix that? I tried to unplug it and it still does the same thing.

My LG front load washer will only fill correctly on certain rinse and spin settings. It doesn't fill correctly as it used to. I changed the water inlet valves and it only drops water a very little in the beginning and a little later on. It will work with different settings. The hoses are new also. Thanks.

By Tom

My Kenmore washer will not wash. It goes straight to the rinse cyle. What do you think is the problem?

By Mary

My GE 7 cycle heavy duty extra large capacity machine will not wash the clothes, but it rinses and wrings the clothes. You will have to start them, but it will not wash them. What do I do?

By Rashad B.

I'm getting a lot of codes on my washer f20, f21, and f32 are the ones I can remember. It won't do anything. I can't even get the door to unlock. Is there a reset button for the washer?

By Heather A

I have a LG front load washing machine. What should you do when the water won't shut off going in the washer even when you shut it off?

By Joy

I have a Roper washing machine. The spin cycle plastic pin broke off. Can I repair this myself?

By tenhorselady

I have a Kenmore top loading washer, model number 110. How do you take off the agitator?

By Francisco from Fresno

How do you replace a solenoid switch on a washing machine?

By JulieBC from MI

Answers

You will undoubtedly get your part from a parts store. Ask them for a print out of the page from the repair book which tells you how to do it. They might charge you a few cents, but I doubt it.

My Kenmore top load washer only fills on clean cycle. It will not fill on any other cycle. What could this be?

I have a top loading older Maytag washing machine. When I pull out the timer button to start the washer, it will fill up and will then sometimes stop running. I have to manually pull out on the button a little bit and hold it to keep the machine running. The timer button isn't staying out like it should. Any ideas? If I replace the timer button, do you think that would solve the problem?

I have a Maytag Performance 9000 series washer, MHWE950W. It is flashing error code F21. I know that means I need to clean out the drain which is located behind the front panel, I watched a YouTube video, and requires that I remove the 3 T20 screws. OK that should be fine, but I could only get one screw out! The other two appear to be stripped, no tool I own will turn those screws. I don't know if they were over-torqued when installed or what, but I've never removed the panel so I know it wasn't me. The door is locked, I can't get my laundry out and I can't get the panel off! Can someone tell me how to get the door unlocked so I can get my laundry out before it gets moldy and give me some advice as to how to deal with those stubborn screws? Thank you.

I need a slogan for my new daycare. The name is: A Child's Safe Haven and Learning Academy. Thanks.

By Beverly from Palatka, FL

My washer filled with water and then began making a terrible noise instead of agitating. How do I get the water out?

By Christy

I have a Whirlpool Duet Steam washer, the clean washer cycle has stopped working. When I try to use it, it goes through the cycle, but does not send any water into the machine and when it gets down to 1 minute it will not cut off. I tried to use this cycle yesterday and it stayed on the 1 minute left for over 30 minutes before I noticed it and manually cut it off.

Please help!

By Karen A.

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio. Water is leaking from the bottom, as well as it sounds as though there are coins in the machine? The washer is not old, maybe 6 years old or so.

By Heidi

My washer won't spin. I can open the top and it looks like the front can then be removed, but where is the belt and how to I change it?

By Madh

I have a GE Top load washing machine. The wash, rinse, spin, and 2nd rinse worked fine, but the final spin did not work. When I tried to run the spin by itself, the tub moved a little. I removed the front panel to check things out. The clutch pulley starts to move slowly, then stops.

The axle for the motor is still spinning, but the pulley is not moving. I pulled the pulley thinking it is worn, but after looking around the internet I am wondering if the motor is starting to wear out. Any ideas? I don't want to drop $100 on a new clutch pulley and replace the wrong part.

By DIYSC from Charleston, SC