Remedies for Heel Spurs

I have a heel spur that is giving me a lot of grief in my left foot. I've read to encase the foot in apple cider vinegar and plastic wrap overnight, it will go away. I've tried using a bread bag, but every time I need to get up during the night, it's noisy and wakes my dh. It is also very uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

Please bear in mind that I live in Australia and many proprietary brands, and even some herbs and remedies may not be available here. Thank you for your time and trouble.

Leonie from Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia

I had the same problem a few years ago. The foot doctor sold me Spenco orthotic arch supports --about $20) -- and gave me exercises to do. The best exercise was one in which I stood at the edge of a step and hung both heels down over the edge of the step. Hold it for about 1 minute, and you will actually feel the muscles in your calves relax.

I also had to have two cortisone shots, which are painful, but the whole treatment program worked! I still wear the over-the-counter arch supports, and when I feel the tiniest start of the problem again, I start doing the step exercise.

This is definitely worth seeing a foot doctor. The pain will inhibit your life, your job, everything. Start with the arch supports and exercise if you can't afford anything else.

Good luck!

I also had a similar problem a few years back. The heel spur is not going to go away, but the inflammation causing the pain can be helped. My doctor told me to sit on the side of the bed when getting up in the morning and flex my foot up & down a few times before standing up. I also did this after sitting in a chair for a while. This stretches the muscles in the foot so they don't cause irritation. I also bought a Dr. Scholl's heel pad for a few dollars. I was told that raising the heel a bit takes the pressure off the heel and puts it on the rest of the foot. It didn't take long before I got relief from pain.

Depending on the size and location of the spur, there often isn't much that can be done short of surgery. A lot of doctors will often give their patients a heel cushion that has the inside (where the spur is) cut out. The rim cushions each step, while the opening leaves room for the spur, not allowing it to be thrust on the shoe sole, which is what causes the pain. You can probably try to make one yourself out of foam or a store-bought inner support. Hopefully, something this simple and cheap will work for you.

I have heel spurs and I know that they are so painful. The doctor showed me a few stretches that help quite a bit. But, I had also heard from a friend of my mom that citus aggravates heel spurs. So I quit drinking orange juice( which I love ) and the difference is night and day. Also, try the different stretches. Good Luck!

Having been married to a podiatrist many years ago, I was quite aware of what bone spurs were and what worked to bring relief and what didn't work. A heel spur is caused by a chronic irritation of the tendon that is attached at the bottom of the heel which then eventually becomes calcified - hence the reference to a bone spur. As this irritation continues, the area becomes more and more painful.

The best long-lasting relief is to find something that ameliorates the constant irritation, and that most likely would be a well-fitting support that fits inside the shoe and which stabilizes the foot, decreasing the pressure or tension that is caused by walking or standing. I am sure there are drug store remedies that work, but if not, I would surely go to something like a "Good Feet Store" or see a podiatrist. Surgery should be resorted to only after palliative methods for relief have been sought.

My late husband had excellent success with molded appliances which fit into shoes, and only when there was insufficient relief would he do surgery, although he was an excellent surgeon. There is just so much inherently that can get complicated with surgery. At this point, my first approach would be to try the Good Feet Store. If they can't help you, then I would see a podiatrist.

I bought me a magnet bracelet. I have not had any more pain from my heel spurs.

I have plantar fasciitis & have been to the GOODFEET STORE. They have shoe inserts that they tried to sell me. It is called the 3 step. One is an insert (orthopedic) that you wear with sneakers. Another is one you wear with dress shoes. And the 3rd is one that you wear with slippers. The cost $820. I went on line & looked for reviews on GOODFEET STORE. Most were not good reviews.

They do no offer you a money back guarantee if you get no relief with the orthodontics. Instead they give you a credit to use in their store which other than the orthodontics can only be used on sneakers which cost $80. At one pair per year it would take 10 years to use the credit. A bit to much for me to pay. I do have orthodontics that cost me $350. which my insurance does not pay. They do help but every couple of years they have to be replaced with new ones. Good luck.

Here are a couple of remedies that I have tried and they worked. Put a few golf balls in a sock, tie the sock so the golf balls don't fall out and then roll you heel/foot over the golf balls. The other was given to me by a physiotherapist and also a podiatrist. Fill a 500ml plastic bottle with with water and freeze it. Once frozen roll your heel/foot over it. These remedies will take a little while to work but they do help the problem

Remedies for Heel Spurs
Remedies for Heel Spurs
Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 9, 2009
Pregnant woman with morning sickness near bathroom sink
Morning Sickness Remedies
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Woman Massaging her Feet After Removing Heels
Remedies for Heel Pain
A dog and it's owner walking on the beach.
Teaching Your Dog to Heel
🎉
🎄