Remedies for Heel Spurs

Category Home Remedies
These tiny calcium deposits that develop on the bone near your heel can be quite painful. This is a guide about remedies for heel spurs.

I have also suffered from heel spurs and my solution to the pain and final cure was to wear rocker soled shoes! I found the shoes were such a relief eventually I could wear my regular shoes again!

Many consumers have found noticeable relief from heel spurs by wearing Birkenstock sandals. This is a guide about wearing Birkenstock sandals for heel spurs.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do you tape your feet to help heel spur pain?

By Joe H.

Answers

Best Answer

You don't tape them. Your best bet is to research "plantar fasciitis exercises" online to get a few ideas of what to do for relief. Also an ice pack at bedtime will feel good. Heel spur comes from a tendon shortening; if you stretch the tendon daily, over time it will be long enough for the pain to be mostly non existent. The exercises are easy and can be done anywhere. Sometimes an arch insert helps too, especially if your shoes don't have a lot of support.

If the exercises don't help you can see a podiatrist for cortisone injections, but they don't last and are painful so use it as a last resort. I suffer from heel spurs so my advice comes from experience with the condition. I had them so bad in both heels at the same time I could barely walk each morning; now except for an occasional flare (every few years or so), I don't have the pain any more. Good luck!

Best Answer

I have never wrapped my foot for a heel spur. Go to a department store or pharmacy and get a heel cushion that says it's for plantar fascia. Insert it into your shoes and wear shoes as much as possible. It will take awhile, but you will find relief. You can also do exercises for this. Stand with your toes on the edge of a step, facing the step. Let your heels go lower than your toes, thus stretching the heel area.

I love to go for walks. However, I have developed painful heel spurs. They become very painful if I walk too much. I am desperate to lose weight. I do not have access to a pool, nor the money to join a gym. What can I do besides riding a bike? I want to walk, it is so freeing, how can I do it without pain?

By Wacky Camper from Westland

Answers

There is already lots of information in the links provided. I wear inserts in all my shoes and am completely without pain. I can even walk around barefoot. I am completely cured but as I carry heavy loads, I don't want to injure myself again. Good luck to you.

I did stretching exercises and it worked wonders. I can walk now with no pain at all.

I would go to a podiatrist.

A chiropractor took care of my plantar fascitis in 2 visits. That was after I had tried exercises, stretching, pads in my shoes, etc. It was wonderful.

I have them too, left heal. Get you a pair of crocks. I got mine at the $store, 5 bucks. No more pain, 2 years now.

Go to your local library and get the book, PAIN FREE. It's an excellent resource. I too had painful heel spurs and went to the foot doctor, said only shots would help, but I didn't want that! Also, Berkinstocks were great he stated. My primary doctor sent me to physical thearphy - the streatching help a bunch, but the books by far is the best help I found.

Yes, Crocs work great. They helped my husband's heel pain so he is now pain free. I have a friend that bought the knock-off Crocs and said they didn't help her, only the real Crocs did. My other idea is to go see an acupuncturist. The can "zap" the spur with an acupuncture needle hooked up to a little bit of electricity (like a tens unit). It dissolves the spur immediately.

I have a heel spur that is giving me a lot of grief in my left foot. I've read to encase the foot in apple cider vinegar and plastic wrap overnight, it will go away. I've tried using a bread bag, but every time I need to get up during the night, it's noisy and wakes my dh. It is also very uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

Please bear in mind that I live in Australia and many proprietary brands, and even some herbs and remedies may not be available here. Thank you for your time and trouble.

Leonie from Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia

Answers

I had the same problem a few years ago. The foot doctor sold me Spenco orthotic arch supports --about $20) -- and gave me exercises to do. The best exercise was one in which I stood at the edge of a step and hung both heels down over the edge of the step. Hold it for about 1 minute, and you will actually feel the muscles in your calves relax.

I also had to have two cortisone shots, which are painful, but the whole treatment program worked! I still wear the over-the-counter arch supports, and when I feel the tiniest start of the problem again, I start doing the step exercise.

This is definitely worth seeing a foot doctor. The pain will inhibit your life, your job, everything. Start with the arch supports and exercise if you can't afford anything else.

Good luck!

I also had a similar problem a few years back. The heel spur is not going to go away, but the inflammation causing the pain can be helped. My doctor told me to sit on the side of the bed when getting up in the morning and flex my foot up & down a few times before standing up. I also did this after sitting in a chair for a while. This stretches the muscles in the foot so they don't cause irritation. I also bought a Dr. Scholl's heel pad for a few dollars. I was told that raising the heel a bit takes the pressure off the heel and puts it on the rest of the foot. It didn't take long before I got relief from pain.

Depending on the size and location of the spur, there often isn't much that can be done short of surgery. A lot of doctors will often give their patients a heel cushion that has the inside (where the spur is) cut out. The rim cushions each step, while the opening leaves room for the spur, not allowing it to be thrust on the shoe sole, which is what causes the pain. You can probably try to make one yourself out of foam or a store-bought inner support. Hopefully, something this simple and cheap will work for you.

I have heel spurs and I know that they are so painful. The doctor showed me a few stretches that help quite a bit. But, I had also heard from a friend of my mom that citus aggravates heel spurs. So I quit drinking orange juice( which I love ) and the difference is night and day. Also, try the different stretches. Good Luck!

Having been married to a podiatrist many years ago, I was quite aware of what bone spurs were and what worked to bring relief and what didn't work. A heel spur is caused by a chronic irritation of the tendon that is attached at the bottom of the heel which then eventually becomes calcified - hence the reference to a bone spur. As this irritation continues, the area becomes more and more painful.

The best long-lasting relief is to find something that ameliorates the constant irritation, and that most likely would be a well-fitting support that fits inside the shoe and which stabilizes the foot, decreasing the pressure or tension that is caused by walking or standing. I am sure there are drug store remedies that work, but if not, I would surely go to something like a "Good Feet Store" or see a podiatrist. Surgery should be resorted to only after palliative methods for relief have been sought.

My late husband had excellent success with molded appliances which fit into shoes, and only when there was insufficient relief would he do surgery, although he was an excellent surgeon. There is just so much inherently that can get complicated with surgery. At this point, my first approach would be to try the Good Feet Store. If they can't help you, then I would see a podiatrist.

I bought me a magnet bracelet. I have not had any more pain from my heel spurs.

I have plantar fasciitis & have been to the GOODFEET STORE. They have shoe inserts that they tried to sell me. It is called the 3 step. One is an insert (orthopedic) that you wear with sneakers. Another is one you wear with dress shoes. And the 3rd is one that you wear with slippers. The cost $820. I went on line & looked for reviews on GOODFEET STORE. Most were not good reviews.

They do no offer you a money back guarantee if you get no relief with the orthodontics. Instead they give you a credit to use in their store which other than the orthodontics can only be used on sneakers which cost $80. At one pair per year it would take 10 years to use the credit. A bit to much for me to pay. I do have orthodontics that cost me $350. which my insurance does not pay. They do help but every couple of years they have to be replaced with new ones. Good luck.

Here are a couple of remedies that I have tried and they worked. Put a few golf balls in a sock, tie the sock so the golf balls don't fall out and then roll you heel/foot over the golf balls. The other was given to me by a physiotherapist and also a podiatrist. Fill a 500ml plastic bottle with with water and freeze it. Once frozen roll your heel/foot over it. These remedies will take a little while to work but they do help the problem

How do I cure heel spurs or prevent them from hurting so much?

By PR

Answers

About 8 years ago I couldn't hardly walk across my yard because my heel spurs hurt so bad. Tried what I thought was everything. Then I met in Walmart a sweet little lady who had just come from her foot doctor. Here is what she told me. l. before you get up in the mornings and at least 5 more times a day point your toes forward then draw them back toward you. You don't hold them or anything just stretch them forward and then as far as you can back. (this stretches the Achilles heel tendon).

The other thing you do is get a pair of shoes the next size up or maybe even l and half size larger., get a piece of carpet pad (you can try a gel sole )and cut it to fit the back half of your shoe. when you put your foot on it you must not hurt, add more pad or cut a hole in the pad where the spur is but don't let it hurt, till the inflammation is out of it. On mine they were so bad that it took 6 months for the pain to go away. After you get rid of the pain, always wear soft shoes or it will come back. I still have the spurs they just don't hurt.

First, avoid, if at all possible an operation (it's hard to come back from that, my doc told me that.) I started switching shoes several times a day and using the ones that made my feet hurt less. I kept a couple of different pairs in the car. I wore one pair when driving, changed when I got to work, kept a pair at my desk and switched out if I felt the need and when going back home I changed again., finally I didn't have to do that much, the spur has worn off and is now gone. I try to be careful because spurs can grow back, took 4-6 weeks before I really started feeling comfortable though.

I feel for you. I had/have heel spurs and PF. Originally in my 20's - got custom orthotics, got better and had been fine for many years. Then I retired last year and started going barefoot or just socks around the house most of the time and it came back with a vengeance! I found everything LeeAnne67 said to work, the anti inflammatory, exercises and frozen water bottle all helped.

Unfortunately I had to get custom orthotics as well and that's when I really turned the corner. Doctor also told me to try New Balance tennis shoes and I went to the store where they were great with helping to fit me with the right shoe (much better than just buying a pair off the shelf). Also they gave me a discount for being the doctor's patient. The Doctor also recommended Merrell shoes when I asked him what else I could wear as I didn't want to always be in the clunky sneakers, especially around the house in the summer. I got a pair of Merrell sandals (Heather style) and almost cried when I tried them on the first time, they were unbelievably comfortable, like having my foot in a cloud. They are not as supportive as the NB sneakers, but ok if you are not on your feet too much and perfect to keep by the bed for those first 10 painful steps when you get up, eliminated that pain for me.

Best of luck to you. I know how frustrating it can be but by doing everything the doctor told me, I am really getting better after 4 weeks. Don't wait too long to go to the doctor if you are really in a lot of pain, expensive but worth it!

Does anyone have any suggestions for heel spurs? How does one make them go away or at least be able to walk?

wacky camper from Westland

Answers:

Remedies for Heel Spurs

I don't have heel spurs but do have a bone spur on my left big toe. I've had one cortisone shot but only helped for a wee bit. Could have surgery but it could come back, I'm told. Any help out there? Thanks, Millie (11/06/2008)

By Millie

Remedies for Heel Spurs

I have the same thing. My podiatrist gave me the shot. He also had me buy running shoes, and put the insoles in them. My insurance didn't cover them either. But, the doctor let me pay him $5 payments on a pair. I believe they only cost $35. I don't know what kind of inserts cost $200! He also recommended rolling my foot over a bottle. The combination of it all has helped me. I hope you find what works for you! (11/07/2008)

By dellajo

Remedies for Heel Spurs

The doctor told my Mom to try rubbing Castor Oil on her heels at night, wrap it with plastic wrap and cover with socks before going to bed. She swears it works! (11/10/2008)

By cedartree

Any advise for heel spurs caused from Planter Fasciitis? I was already over weight and quit smoking and gained more weight. I want to walk to lose the weight but it is so painful. I walk through the pain and it just makes it worse. I went to the foot doctor and had those painful shots. My insurance will not pay for the shoe inserts from the doctor and they are $350. Any suggestions?

Wacky Camper

Answers:

Remedies for Heel Spurs

I agree with terdralyn. Stretches helped me a lot.

Also, my doc gave me a brace to wear at night to keep the foot muscles stretched. Will your insurance cover that? It looks like this
http://www.healthproductsforyou.com/catalog/products/10890/Bilt_Rite_Night_Splint_BlueWhite/

Don't get the ones that look like this because they stretch your toes wrong:
http://www.feelgoodstore.com/cgi-bin/feelgood/postkey_find.html?cm_mmc=channel-_-engine-_-media-_-28358&keywords=28358&media=GF0569&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=23-4017111-2

If your insurance doesn't cover it, it still might be worth it to buy it since they only cost $25 - $50.

(10/30/2008)

By Jean

Remedies for Heel Spurs

I found some shoe inserts at Wal Mart for foot spurs and Planter Fasciitis. They were less than $10 here. I also got some that are super sport arch support that have helped a lot too. They were less than $5. The stretches help a lot. I did an internet search and found a lot of great information on what causes Planter Fasciitis and ways to treat it. It takes time to heal and don't push through the pain to continue walking. I did that and my main accomplishment was more damage.

For the swelling my doctor has me take Motrin (800 mg) 3 times a day BUT CHECK WITH YOUR OWN DOCTOR before doing that. Doctor also told me to fill a 16 oz plastic soda bottle with water and freeze it. Then use my foot to roll the bottle while I'm on the computer, watching tv, etc with the bottle on my heel and arch area. It numbs the area, helps with swelling and the pressure helps stretch the tendons, ligaments and muscle. (10/30/2008)

Remedies for Heel Spurs

I bought pro foot miracle custom molding insoles (memory foam) for all my shoes and have not had a problem since. Try them. They are like a miracle for me. They are easily found in most drug stores. (10/30/2008)

By Jan

Remedies for Heel Spurs

You may want to try a pair of CROCS. Cheap and comfortable for sore feet. (10/30/2008)

By patsand31

Remedies for Heel Spurs

I had heel bone spurs also and they are very painful, I tried everything I could to put on my heel or in my shoe. After 5 pairs later they still hurt I bought a pair of crocs at the dollar store to walk to the mailbox in and that's all I wear now. I wore a pair of regular shoes for a couple of days last week and my heel started hurting that night, put the crocs back on and no more pain. Hope this helps. (10/30/2008)

By barbara

Remedies for Heel Spurs

I had exactly what you are talking about, large heel spurs about the size of my thumb, one on each heel. I too was trying to walk, and it was so painful I had to stop. After about 2 years of buying shoes, I went to an Ortho doc. My niece had told me about some shoes that had springs in the heels, so I searched online to find them and finally did.

I asked the Ortho doc about the shoes and he told me that he wouldn't endorse them because they haven't been approved by any medical association, but he knew several people that bought them and had very good luck. So I went to the store and spent an hour and a half with a pair on my feet, they felt so good, all the weight is off of your heels.

The shoes are around $200.00 per pair, but, most of the time when your shoes wear out, it's the heels, for $20.00 you can get new springs, I do this about once a year. Needless to say I bought a pair, then about 6 months later I bought another pair, the first pair I use for walking, the other pair for everything else. I know $200.00 is a lot to pay for shoes, but if you are like me, you spend tons already on shoes you CAN'T wear, spend money on many kinds of inserts, even the ones the doctor prescribed and still you have pain.

I know I sound like a salesman for these shoes, but honestly it was the best purchase I ever made. It did take a few months of wearing them every day, and never going barefoot (except in the shower), but I am pain free, I can walk and my heels do not hurt. The name of the shoes Z-Coil. I wouldn't recommend trying to get them cheap online through E-bay or anything because they actually have to heat up the arch support to mold them to your foot to get them just right, that part took me about 2 hours, but I have never regretted buying these shoes. If you have any questions you can email me at Tamasa AT aol.com. Here is a picture of the ones I have. (10/30/2008)

By Tamasa

RE: Remedies for Heel Spurs

Remedies for Heel Spurs

I had heel spurs too and spent money at the podiatrist, etc. Then I found out about a method called "trigger point therapy" where you can work out sore knots in various parts of the body to relieve pains nearby. The trigger point for the heel is on the back of the calf. Feel around on your calf for a tender spot and massage that spot. This should help and can be done whenever needed. (10/31/2008)

By Peggy

Remedies for Heel Spurs

I have never personally had plantar fascitis; however, a member of my family had it and he was told to roll the sole of his foot over a bottle for a few minutes each day. He did and it seemed to help him. It's worth a try, anyway, as it doesn't cost anything but a little bit of time, right? Hope you get relief soon and God bless you. (10/31/2008)

By tedsmom

Remedies for Heel Spurs

I too have had these problems with my feet for years. I have had many cortisone shots from a podiatrist. They never helped for long. I found shoe inserts at WWW.heel-that-pain.com. I wore these and after about 6 months the pain is gone, not even there when I get up in the morning. They claim a 99.7% success rate. Read about them at their website but they are cheaper to order them from WWW.footsmart.com (10/31/2008)

By ehiatt

Tips for treating heel spurs. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Vinegar for Heel Spurs

Take a piece of brown wrapping paper (grocery bag works) and cut it into the shape to fit in heel of your shoe. Soak the paper well in Apple Cider Vinegar, place in shoe and wear every day resoaking periodically. Within 2-3 weeks my spur was completely gone

By MrsMoted2 (05/17/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Remedies for Heel Spurs

Something my podiatrist had me do which helped immensely, was foot stretches. The one that worked best was taking a bath towel (an exercise band works, too) and placing it on the ball of my foot, then straightening out my leg and pulling the top of my foot back toward my body. Hold for 10 seconds, then relax. He had me do three sets of these three times a day. It worked wonders, and I'd had heel spurs for at least 10 years by the time I saw him.

Terry from ChilliOH (05/17/2005)

By terdralynn