Borax for Fleas

How do I control fleas using borax?

By Missy from Jax, FL

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

One of the best ways to rid your home of fleas is by using borax, so it's a good thing you're on the right track! There is a full guide on how to safely use borax to kill fleas on http://www.boraxfleas.com/

Good luck!

You don't have to pay money for a guide... there's a good one here for free:

http://www.9and3quarters.com/tips.php

It really works, btw!

Answer

Having lost an entire litter of kittens due to fleas, I had to find a cheap way to rid my house of them. Just after my cat had a litter of 2 kittens, they too had fleas. A friend came to my rescue. She said to sprinkle borax over all carpeted area. Though I was skeptical, I was willing to try anything. I purchased the borax from fishing supplies. They use it to cure salmon eggs for fishing lures. And, it is very inexpensive, cost just $6.00 for a 5 lb. bag. That was enough for a large living room and 2 bedrooms with some left over.

You do have to wear a mask as you do this, since the dust is bad. Sprinkle it over all carpet areas pretty heavily. Don't miss areas under furniture. Then sweep or drag your feet over the powder until you work it into the carpet (This causes the dust). If animals cannot get under furniture you don't need to work it in. That is all you need to do. Within the month my house was not only free of flees, but it lasted for years.

Animals might still bring in fleas when they go outside, but when it jumps onto the carpet it still kills the fleas and their eggs. I was flea free since 2000. This year I did have to redo it. And no fleas again. I just couldn't afford the higher prices sprays or professional treatments.

Source: A friend who's brother is into homeopathics

By Bev from Longview, WA

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What do you do with your pets when using the borax? I have three cats with fleas.

By Kathy C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just got rid of the fleas on my indoor only cats and did not use borax, this took a little longer but my cats were ok. I got 3 boxes of iodized salt or the cheapest salt available and poured it in my hand and broadcast it everywhere including under the bed couch etc. left it and also threw baking soda out the same way. I buy it in the big bag in the pool section. and leave till next time I vacuum (there are only 2 of us and I vacuum 2 times a week) after vacuuming I redo the salt and then after vacuuming the next time I do the baking soda. At the end of the first month the fleas were gone. Oh by the way i did have to treat for fleas my 2 small dogs that went in and out and were the carriers for the indoor fleas. Now no fleas.

Read More Answers...

I would like information on killing fleas with borax.

By Kuni from Johannesburg

Borax for Fleas

It didn't work for me. My vet has prescribed Comfortis and it works like a charm. Or you can buy the once-a-month treatment like "Advantage", etc. without a prescription and use it. It will work also. (11/10/2010)

By Stngray

Borax for Fleas

We used borax for two decades. We never had a problem or a flea. I strained the powder through a mesh strainer to break up the clumps. Then sprinkle it on all the carpet and sweep it in with a broom. Don't vacuum for two weeks. After a few treatments, it will last over a year. I had an old Hoover vacuum, not these new super suckers. I would think it is the residual powder under the carpet that makes this work so well and long. This was recommended to me by my exterminator who was leaving my area. We did not have cats, but we had three babies. I also used Adams flea shampoo. I recently found you could purchase it by the gallon. That's the way to go. (12/17/2010)

By suzec58986

Borax for Fleas

I would be careful with borax or any other product not listed for pest control use. Yes it's natural and yes it is safe when used as directed, but it is too easy to over treat when we think something is so very safe.
(01/02/2011)

By The Bug Dr

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you apply borax to carpet to kill fleas?

By Charlia from Natchitoches, LA

Borax for Fleas

Be very careful. I treated my home with borax 14 days ago and my 16 week old kitten was just diagnosed with kidney failure. It seems borax can cause renal failure in kittens. I wish someone would have warned me. (09/14/2010)

By Auntylfe

Borax for Fleas

I had a problem with fleas a few years ago. Even though they say bs safe for animals, it concerned me with 2 elder cats and a dog, plus 4 people in the house tracking it around. So this is what I did; first, I put the borax in a clean Pringles can with holes punched in the top. Before I went to bed, I flipped the furniture over and sprinkled borax under everything and along the baseboards, then put the furniture back over it. Then I sprinkled the borax all over the floor, sort of swept it into the carpet a little with a broom, then covered the floor with bed sheets and the hallway with newspaper, to keep the animals from walking on it. After the kids left for school the next day, I vacuumed the floor really well and washed the sheets. (09/17/2010)

By lyonpridej

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I use borax to get rid of fleas in the house?

By tlvincer from Canada

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had fleas that continually got more widespread. I sprinkled 20 Mule Team borax powder all over my porch (where the fleas were) very liberally. It looked like snow. I could see a small difference that afternoon. I left the "snow" on my porch for a few weeks or until there were no more fleas.

By Liz from Dodson Prairie, TX

Borax for Fleas

While living in an apartment building we put a line of Borax all along the outer top of the kitchen and bathroom cabinets and all along the floor where it meets the wall. The cockroaches walked in it and when they go back to their nest to try and clean it off they are killed. (06/11/2010)

By srainey

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Now is the time to rid your house with natural products. Save a bundle. Mostly, be kind to your animals.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had my boxers on Frontline PLUS but it doesn't seem to be working. My female boxer just had 2 pups which are two weeks old.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas
Pets FleasMarch 27, 2011
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
Borax powder, with a measuring cup and spray bottle.
Cleaning With Borax
Borax
Buying Borax
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 28, 2016 at 9:09:31 PM on 10.0.1.243 in 298 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.