Smoke Detectors Beep When the Temperature Drops

I don't know the name of my smoke detectors, but they begin to beep when the temperature is cooler in the house. The batteries are good. Why would this happen and can you help me? Thanks.

By Jan from Chesterfield, VA

I truly don't know why a cooler temperature change would cause this other than it's an indication that maybe the smoke detectors themselves are defective so please consider replacing them. There are lots of inexpensive battery operated detectors on the market.

Oh! One other thought that just came to mind is maybe they are beeping because of carbon monoxide? Test your home for that! That's a 'very' serious issue! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_detector

I had the same thing happen. It was dust! Try vacuuming them before you give up and get new ones. It solved our problem. However, if they are older than 10 years, buy new ones! Grandma Jan

I took mine to the fire dept to get advice because it kept beeping. A fireman told me to put it outside every now and then to air out. I haven't done that yet; I just replaced the battery with a new one and it still beeped. I finally just bought a new one where the battery is easier to replace.

February 27, 2012 Flag

Why do my smoke detectors beep when the thermostat is low, but stop when I turn the heat up?

By Shirley

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is possible that the cold messes with the batteries and makes it think that the batteries are low? That's the only thing I can think of right off, lol

That's interesting.I agree with you.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Home SafetyOctober 28, 2009
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
🎉
🎄