Smoke Detectors Beep When the Temperature Drops

I don't know the name of my smoke detectors, but they begin to beep when the temperature is cooler in the house. The batteries are good. Why would this happen and can you help me? Thanks.

By Jan from Chesterfield, VA

Best Answer

I had the same thing happen. It was dust! Try vacuuming them before you give up and get new ones. It solved our problem. However, if they are older than 10 years, buy new ones! Grandma Jan

My new smoke detector wouldnt,t stop going off, it turned out it was a faulty one. Also they can go off when batteries need replacing.

Anonymous

I truly don't know why a cooler temperature change would cause this other than it's an indication that maybe the smoke detectors themselves are defective so please consider replacing them. There are lots of inexpensive battery operated detectors on the market.

Oh! One other thought that just came to mind is maybe they are beeping because of carbon monoxide? Test your home for that! That's a 'very' serious issue! http://en.wikip  onoxide_detector

I took mine to the fire dept to get advice because it kept beeping. A fireman told me to put it outside every now and then to air out. I haven't done that yet; I just replaced the battery with a new one and it still beeped. I finally just bought a new one where the battery is easier to replace.