Stopping Squirrels from Chewing on a House

I read some of the questions about squirrels. I have one or two that are chewing the paint off my garage door and have chewed part of the door frame. What can I do to stop them? I don't think moth balls would help outdoors.

By Trouble from Indianapolis, IN

I would buy a have a hart trap to trap the critters and then take them at least 10 miles away and release them. I had squirrels getting inside my garage and eating the wood in one location to get outside. I bought the trap at a hardware store for about $30.

We had squirrels in our attic. They were going up on the big wires to the central h/a. I got some hot sauce, put it all around & on the wires. It stopped them, they do not like hot stuff, good luck.

Got a dog?

I was going to say the thing about the pepper. I have used cayenne, black, ground peppers, with dry hot mustard. I'd mix it dry & then sprinkle it around. It works on all kinds of animals. If that didn't work, I'd mix the pepper mustard mix & soak it in water. Let set & strain & spray the liquid. Most animals have good noses & lick themselves. The smell usually keeps them away all my itself most the time.

Urinate on the places

July 21, 2009 Flag

How do you get squirrels to stop eating pressed wood lumber on outside of house?

Ken from Hickory, NC

Answers:

Stopping Squirrels From Chewing On House

I don't think they are eating it, but are sharpening up their teeth. Try nailing up a wooden box on a far tree in your backyard and fill it with nuts for them to eat. (08/04/2008)

By MCW

Definitely feed them. Other people, for years, have been complaining to me about chipmunks and squirrels damaging their property in one way or another. I've never had a problem, because I provide food for them. The added plus is watching them. I consider it cheap entertainment. (08/05/2008)

By Me

Yes! Put out unsalted peanuts in the shells. They would much rather have that than your house. But are you sure it's squirrels? Have you actually seen them do this? It could be chipmunks trying to make a new den. (08/06/2008)

I had the same problem and I didn't feed the squirrels! They had plenty of food from my 2 oak trees. I found a product called "Critter Ridder" I sprayed it on my wooden stoop and after the squirrels had a taste of it a couple of times, they left my wood alone because the product contains hot stuff. It is made by "Havahart" and is a repellent for several different types of critters. Works like a charm on squirrels. They don't bother my wooden stoop anymore. (08/06/2008)

By Sharon

Try Rataway spray from www.Rataway.com (09/17/2008)

By Rick S.

RE: Stopping Squirrels from Chewing on a House

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Squirrels outside.
Keeping Squirrels From Chewing on a House
Home and Garden Pest Control Small WildlifeJuly 21, 2009
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Squirrel Chewing
Squirrels Chewing on Car Wiring
Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 10:51:51 AM on 10.0.0.40 in 889 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.