Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Stopping Squirrels from Chewing on a House

I read some of the questions about squirrels. I have one or two that are chewing the paint off my garage door and have chewed part of the door frame. What can I do to stop them? I don't think moth balls would help outdoors.

By Trouble from Indianapolis, IN

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By christine M. Thayer [2]07/24/2009

I was going to say the thing about the pepper. I have used cayenne, black, ground peppers, with dry hot mustard. I'd mix it dry & then sprinkle it around. It works on all kinds of animals. If that didn't work, I'd mix the pepper mustard mix & soak it in water. Let set & strain & spray the liquid. Most animals have good noses & lick themselves. The smell usually keeps them away all my itself most the time.

By Teri Van Hecke [7]07/24/2009

Got a dog?

By kathleen williams [23]07/22/2009

We had squirrels in our attic. They were going up on the big wires to the central h/a. I got some hot sauce, put it all around & on the wires. It stopped them, they do not like hot stuff, good luck.

By Deanj07/21/2009

I would buy a have a hart trap to trap the critters and then take them at least 10 miles away and release them. I had squirrels getting inside my garage and eating the wood in one location to get outside. I bought the trap at a hardware store for about $30.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Stopping Squirrels from Chewing on a House

How do you get squirrels to stop eating pressed wood lumber on outside of house?

Ken from Hickory, NC

RE: Stopping Squirrels From Chewing On House

I don't think they are eating it, but are sharpening up their teeth. Try nailing up a wooden box on a far tree in your backyard and fill it with nuts for them to eat. (08/04/2008)

By MCW

RE: Stopping Squirrels from Chewing on a House

Definitely feed them. Other people, for years, have been complaining to me about chipmunks and squirrels damaging their property in one way or another. I've never had a problem, because I provide food for them. The added plus is watching them. I consider it cheap entertainment. (08/05/2008)

By Me

Yes! Put out unsalted peanuts in the shells. They would much rather have that than your house. But are you sure it's squirrels? Have you actually seen them do this? It could be chipmunks trying to make a new den. (08/06/2008)

I had the same problem and I didn't feed the squirrels! They had plenty of food from my 2 oak trees. I found a product called "Critter Ridder" I sprayed it on my wooden stoop and after the squirrels had a taste of it a couple of times, they left my wood alone because the product contains hot stuff. It is made by "Havahart" and is a repellent for several different types of critters. Works like a charm on squirrels. They don't bother my wooden stoop anymore. (08/06/2008)

By Sharon

Try Rataway spray from www.Rataway.com (09/17/2008)

By Rick S.