Herbal Cozy

Here is a great tip I found that was shared on a website I found this week.

"Basically this is an pillow filled with rice and herbs, you put it in the microwave for 2 minutes or less for warmth and heat, or throw it in the freezer to ease injuries, or for headaches.

You can use scrap fabric... use large scraps for larger herbal cozies (for the back, legs, etc.) and smaller scrap pieces for a small one that you can use on the forehead or on the eyes, to sooth eyestrain and headache.

I sew 'channels' in mine, by sewing a line every two inches, and feeling each pocket - so everything stays in the right place, but that's optional. They can be as simple as a 'pillow' type.

Fill them with rice and herbs. You only need 1 part herb to 5-10 part rice, depending on how strong you want them.

Herbs you can fill them with:

• mint - clears sinuses, good for headache
  • chamomile - eases tension, relaxes
  • cloves - muscle pain
  • rosemary - relaxes, muscle pain
  • lavender - ease tension, relaxes, soothes, good for headache
  • ginger - soothing, good for muscle pain
  • cedar shavings - eases aching muscles

Herbs are VERY cheap bought in bulk, or you can use your dried, homegrown, or even cut open teabags."

This tip is for a wonderful frugal but thoughtful gift for anytime of the year. I am busy making them for Christmas. Hope you will try them, too.

The website is http://heart4home.net/

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

My mother in law made all of us one last year, only she used navy beans in hers and no herbs but I just love it. And so inexpensive to make. I took mine to work with me yesterday for a knee injury.

I have made these with tube socks. It's a no sew project. I closed mine with ribbon. It works great.

I wish everyone a blessed CHRISTmas!

I wish I could see a picture of one of these. I always need a visual before I can make anything. It sounds like a great gift!

Where is the link on that website with the picture and direction? I searched the site, even signed up for their newsletter, but I couldn't find the link and I'd love to make one for myself.

Thanks for posting this.

I found a picture of the flannel ones.

mothercatco.com

Keeper

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.

Thank you for that wonderful idea. However, what kind of rice do you use..minute rice, wild rice or bleached rice?

heat therapy pillow
Making a Heat Therapy Pillow
Health & Beauty Home RemediesDecember 6, 2006
Tea cozy made from a sweater
Making a Tea Cozy
Cat teapot cozy.
Making a Cat Tea Cozy
Herbal Tincture
Making Your Own Herbal Tinctures
Photo fo a spearmint plant.
Uses for Spearmint
🎉
🎄