Making a Tea Cozy

Category Kitchen
Keep your pot of tea hot by making a cute or elegant tea cozy. This is a guide about making a tea cozy.

Make a tea cozy by using the neck opening of an old sweater. I simply eye-balled the amount of sweater I needed by laying the tea pot on the inside-out sweater and drawing a sewing line around it.

Stitched on the line, then cut it out leaving about 5/8 seam allowance beyond the stitching. Turn right-side-out. Slip it over your tea pot.

Decorate if you want or leave it plain. Wool holds heat in and keeps my tea hot. Lots of sweater left for making other stuff too.

By Gloria from western NY

A quick, easy, and frugal way to keep your teapot hot and decorative way to serve your guests. It is sure to be the hit of any tea party or gathering.

Approximate Time: 1-1 1/2 hours

Download a PDF of the pattern pieces here:

Quilting1.pdf

Quilting2.pdf

Quilting3.pdf

Instructions:

This project involves all straight and top stitching and the use of bias tape while working with layers.

1. Cut all pattern pieces.
  2. If you are making your own bias tape:
    Cut remaining scraps of plain fabric into long 2 inch strips.
    With right sides together, press short ends of bias tape strips together.
    Press seams open.
    Fold length of bias tape in half and press.
    Open the bias tape back up and fold the outer edges toward in the inside line.

Fold in half again and press all layers flat. You should have a 1/2 inch wide long strip of bias tape.
    Set aside.
  3. Preparing Fabric for Quilt Lines:

4. To prepare your round placemat for marking quilt lines, fold in half and then in half again to find the center of the circle. Open the circle and align the folds to match the "X" marking lines on the rotary or cutting mat.
  5. Line the ruler up across the fabric and match the lines on the rotary or cutting mat then draw a line across the fabric. Move the fabric over by 1 inch indicated on the rotary or cutting mat and line up the next mark. Continue marking all the way across the fabric. Turn the fabric and repeat, marking your lines in the opposite direction to create a grid pattern across.
  6. Ad

7. For the tea pot cozy, fold the fabric in half lengthwise and repeat quilting lines using the same method.
  8. Baste:

9. Layer your fabric in this order:
    plain fabric, right side down
    quilt batting
    patterned fabric, right side up
  10. Starting with the center edge of your quilt markings line up with the needle and baste all the way across. Cut the thread and leave long ends hanging.
  11. Flip the layers over and check the back stitching, if it is not smooth pull the thread out and try again. It takes a little practice and patience to get the desired results.
  12. Ad

Sew:

13. Pin a section of bias tape across the bottom only of both pieces of the tea cozy and stitch all layers together with your thread as close to the edge of the bias tape as you can get and still catch it in the stitching on both sides. (For the placemat pin all around the outer edge.)
  14. With wrong sides together, pin the rest of the outer edge pieces in place folding under the ends of the bias tape on both sides.
  15. Cut a 4 1/2 - 5 inch piece of bias tape. When you reach the top center of the tea pot cozy, tuck one end of the small piece under the pinned bias tape on the front. Fold the small piece in half with wrong sides together and tuck under the back of the pinned bias tape to form a loop. Continue pinning the rest of the way around.
  16. Stitch all the way around the outer edge as close to the inside edge of the bias tape as possible, again catching it in the stitching on both sides.
    Note: I have found that at this point, the layers will become quite bulky and can be a little hard to work with. When you begin backstitching to lock your stitches in place, start ahead of the corner and backstitch over it. Grasp the hanging threads and use them to gently pull and guide your fabric into the forward stitch to easily move over this area.

Use:

Your tea pot cozy and placemat are now ready for use. Be sure to make several extra placemats. One to place under the tea pot and some for your guests. Ring up the girls and invite them over for a fun session of gab and giggles and show off your new tea pot cozy and placemats.

Note:

These placemats are also handy for use as hot mats for the table.

By Sew Crafty from So CA

If you're a tea lover, here is a very easy sewing project. They also make great gifts for family and friends. I always use my tea cozy whenever I brew a pot of tea, and it will keep the teapot warm for several hours. I get a lot of my ideas when I search the eBay website.

By MCW from NY

Tea cozies are sure to keep your tea warm in the pot much longer than not having one. Plus this one is way cute! This craft would also make a great gift for tea drinkers.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I am looking for a tea cozy pattern.

By tiller from Amsterdam, NL

Answers

I hope it is for a sewn pattern. Here's some to look over.

http://lifewith … ake-teapot-cozy/
http://www.asso … cozy.html?cat=24

http://www.getc … ars/tea_cozy.htm
http://search.y … start=1&b=11

One site I visited suggested taking a placemat, fold it wrong sides together and sew up the sides. Turn right side out, add a loop at the top and you have a cozy.

Thanks!

I'm making your tea cozy. As you can see, it's my first attempt hence the very simple quilting. I just want to do a test run before I make more.

I am a little confused on how to finish off the start and end points of the binding that goes along the curve. You say in point 10, "folding under the ends of the bias tape on both sides". How do you stitch this so it looks neat on the inside. Please post a picture, if possible, to show how to finish the binding at the bottom sides. Thank you for an excellent tutorial.

By Sandy