Crack Egg in Cup Before Measuring Shortening

Tired of trying to clean the margarine or shortening out of the measuring cup after you use it? I am! But I discovered a trick today. If your recipe calls for an egg(s), crack the egg into the measuring cup your going to use for measuring the margarine or shortening. Pour the egg into your mixing bowl, now using the same measuring cup that the egg was in, measure out the margarine or shortening.

You will be surprised at how easily the margarine or shortening comes out leaving behind no greasy gobs of shortening or margarine.

By Heidi from Brazil

What a great tip Heidi!

I can do this! Thanks for sharing!

What a great idea. I have always hated this job of getting all the butter out of cup, can't wait to cook a recipe using a cup of butter!

Jean of Maffra, Australia

October 13, 2009 Flag

When measuring Crisco in a measuring tin cup, first break your egg from a recipe in it. Put the egg into the batter and then Crisco into cup, it will not stick to cup now.

By Apeters from Northampton, PA

Use Egg To Keep Crisco From Sticking

Sounds like a good idea! I always measure out my shortening first and then use the same cup for the white sugar. The sugar allows you to scrape most of the shortening out with it. Works with peanut butter too. (10/28/2008)

By TheNamesLisa

Measuring Ingredients
Measuring Ingredients
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsOctober 13, 2009
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Measuring Elastic
Measuring Elastic for Clothing
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
Crochet top pin cushion, a craft found on Thriftyfun. Submitted by a member.
Making a Tea Cup Pincushion