Repairing Cat Scratches on Door Molding

I have cat claw damage to various items in my apartment, but the ones I really want to focus on are the claw marks on the moldings around the doors into my bathroom and bedroom. They are pretty deep gauges and about three feet from the floor.

The molding is dark brown "wood", like a press board or composite so you can see the light composite material against the dark brown surface where the claw marks are. It looks bad. Should I be thinking sanding and filling with wood putty or what? Are there alternatives?

By cateyes from Lake County, OH

Answers

Use crayons in the color of your molding. Or melt crayons in microwave to get a mottled "wood" effect. Apply to fill scratches. Take off surplus with furniture polish or olive oil. Cheaper than wood filler, no sanding required and you can recycle old crayons. Works on furniture scratches too.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Maintenance and RepairJanuary 14, 2010
Installing Crown Molding, Crown Molding Ready to be Installed
Installing Crown Molding
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
white molding red wall
Molding Advice for a Red Wall
🎄