Dog Attacked Other Dogs in Home

Why is my Pit Bull so mean toward other dogs? He attacks them when he can? We got him fixed thinking that would help, it didn't.

He was raised around other dogs. He's great with people, just not other animals. I've got two other dogs, he attack the dog that been with him for two years. He didn't hurt him too badly, but did leave a deep cut. The other dog, which I just brought home he just about killed. He attacked him through me. He bit me and didn't care.

I am about to bring him to a shelter, but I don't want him to die. What are my choices? I have two kids and if he bit me because he was mad what is going to do with them around if he's mad?

By Steve from St. Louis, MO

Pit Bulls are a very aggressive breed and the best thing you can do to protect your children, yourself and anyone else at this point is to have the dog put to sleep! Once that aggression trait has been riled it will 'not' go away! It is not mean to put an animal to sleep who has attacked and almost killed another animal and especially since it bit you too! Personally I would take it to the vet and not place a burden on the animal shelters having to deal with the problem.

I totally agree with Deeli! We had 3 dogs, all mutts from the shelter. They lived together for over 7 years and then one became aggressive and started fighting with the most passive dog. We are fans of Cesar the dog whisperer and followed the exercise (2 long walks every day!), discipline, affection thing, but it didn't stop this dog from fighting. We had him checked by the vet and found no reason for this dog to act so aggressively.

My husband broke up several fights, he required stitches and I was injured along with the other dog. Finally, we had to put the dog down. The fights became more frequent and unpredictable, and we were living in a state of stress. Now our household is calm and relaxing, and safe! We wasted a lot of time giving that dog many, many chances. I feel guilty I put the other animals safety in jeopardy for so long.

You must be responsible to the other animals in your home and especially your family, and put that dog down. I am sorry you are going through this. I know how upsetting it is. But you would never forgive yourself if you allowed that dog to stay and something terrible happened.

Agression is inbred in pit bill dogs. Some never express agression but some do. The nature of their agression is different than other breeds, and considerably more dangerous. Once aroused a pit bull just isn't thinking, he is set upon disabling his target. Expensive training can teach some dogs to be less agressive, but as I said, it is expensive, and never a sure bet. Until your dog has been evaluated by a professional, he is a danger to you and your children and your other dogs. If your children are small I would be very worried. I know it is hard to think of disposing of a pet, but imagine how you would feel if on of your children were injured. Good luck Steve, and I am sorry you are in such a difficult spot.

His biting you is not "being great around people"; that said, there are lots of big dog breeds that have aggressive tendencies that can be kept under control--pits among them.

The thing of it is--you didn't say if you've had him since a puppy--was he raised somewhere else? How was he treated? If you did have him and permitted him to be top dog when around other animals, this could have fed into the aggression.

You really only have two choices for the safety of yourself, your family and any neighbors or visitors you have; you can ask your vet to refer you to a canine behavioralist to see if this dog can be worked with--or you'll have to make the choice to euthanize him. As you describe him right now, if you took him to the shelter, he'd likely be put down very quickly.

Either way, it's a very hard decision you face.

PLEASE take the dog to the vet to see if he has any health problems that are causing him pain or discomfort. If not, ask the vet for medication to reduce stress. Animals react to stress by acting out. If you can pinpoint what was going on in the household when he started being aggressive, you may be able to remove the stressor. If not, medication can do wonders.

Pit Bulls are on the dangerous dogs list in Britain. Please don't put him in the pound as some other unsuspecting person could fall foul of him. The kindest thing to do, for all concerned including the dog, is to have him put to sleep. Pit Bulls can suffer, too, by being badly damaged themselves in a fight.

I would suggest looking to a professional for the answer to this one. You can talk to your veterinarian first to make sure that this dog does not have any medical issues that may cause it to do this. If they can not find anything, then I suggest a animal behaviorist, to find what is the cause.

I also find that education never hurts just as long as the information you are getting is from a person who really knows what they are talking about, due to them being schooled in the area of interest. I recently found a author who knows her stuff. Here is a bit about her for anyone who owns a dog or cat; Meet the Author,

Patricia McConnell, Ph.D., CAAB is an Ethologist and Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist who has consulted with cat and dog lovers for over twenty years. I wish you all the best!

Pets Dogs AdviceJanuary 25, 2010
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Dog That Was Attacked
Resocializing a Dog That Was Attacked
Two dogs looking out the door of a wooden doghouse.
Training a Dog to Use a Dog House
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
🎄
🍂